Magic Key Renewals?

CaptinEO

"Soon". A friend got a chat response with DL "We will soon offer all current Magic Key holders the opportunity to renew into one of several passes available in the program. We will share details about renewals at a later date."
Sort of same thing they've been saying all along with the addition of "soon".
I can bet the Disney customer service people have as much inside info as a ride operator.

el_super

The question remains... if they're going to be offering something, why "soon" instead of today?

What is keeping them from offering it right now?

I suppose there could be a couple different strategies at play here. The last two weeks of August, when the summer crowds die down and the APs come back, have historically been some of the busiest days of the year. By pushing out the decision to allow renewals, maybe they are hoping that the short planning window will reduce the burden on the resort overall?

That just seems more like a happy circumstance than the actual goal here. Everything else here, regarding pricing and availability are probably closer to the primary objectives.

SoCalDisneyLover

I suppose there could be a couple different strategies at play here. The last two weeks of August, when the summer crowds die down and the APs come back, have historically been some of the busiest days of the year. By pushing out the decision to allow renewals, maybe they are hoping that the short planning window will reduce the burden on the resort overall?

That just seems more like a happy circumstance than the actual goal here. Everything else here, regarding pricing and availability are probably closer to the primary objectives.
It seems it would work the exact opposite. People thinking they only have a couple of weeks remaining as Key holders, will make them book as many visits as they can over the next 2 weeks, which would increase the burden on the resort.

And then, if they did decide to allow renewals suddenly during the next 2 weeks, EVERYBODY renewing, will be booking up every possible October date, and then into November for the holiday season. Every weekend in October & November would get fully booked.

el_super

And then, if they did decide to allow renewals suddenly during the next 2 weeks, EVERYBODY renewing, will be booking up every possible October date, and then into November for the holiday season. Every weekend in October & November would get fully booked.

I think the key here is that not everyone will be able to drop the money to renew all at the same time. Slightly different scenario when people were informed weeks in advance that the passes were available in Aug of 21 and people were ready for it. By keeping the data close and unclear, they gain the advantage of people being unprepared to renew.

Maybe that's the goal here: really start to spread out the renewal so that everyone isn't due at the same time. Maybe not everyone will be able to renew, or maybe some passes won't be able to be renewed until Oct or Dec?

All of this, the delay and the lack of communication, is just pointing to how much trouble the AP program is, and showing the indecision on Disney's part on whether they want to keep it or not.

el_super

Not going to bother linking it, but MiceChat is saying in their update today that the delay is lawsuit-related.

They believe renewals will open up soon, but it's likely the "no blockout" level will be unavailable.

Yeah I know this seems to be the common wisdom at the moment, but it doesn't make much sense to me. I don't think anything is going to be resolved on the lawsuit anytime soon (unless Disney is planning to just settle and be done with it).

Lawsuit wise, it seems like removing the "no blockout" language/pass would just be admitting fault and make the lawsuit harder/impossible for Disney's to win.

Conversely though, I would think that reopening the current passes to renewals, and showing that people still wanted the product despite the unclear language, might actually help Disney establish this as a common practice.

I still think it's a huge assumption to think that Disney wanted to continue the Magic Key program indefinitely.

Sailor310

Original Poster
I can't resist when the chat window pops up on the Magic Key site. The agent said renewals were "later this summer". Disney often has pretty loose definition of its seasons.

TP2000

I can't resist when the chat window pops up on the Magic Key site. The agent said renewals were "later this summer". Disney often has pretty loose definition of its seasons.

Isn't that great?! It certainly doesn't create much confidence in the program, does it?

Calendar-wise, "summer" is June thru August.
Culturally, "summer" is Memorial Day thru Labor Day.
Astronomically, "summer" on this part of the planet is June 21st to September 21st.

Even in SoCal when we get our hottest days of the year in September and early October, I consider summer to end on Labor Day. I refuse to watch any beach movie with Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello after that date, it's a hard and fast rule in my home. That, and the white linen trousers go to the back of the closet.

Disstevefan1

Isn't that great?! It certainly doesn't create much confidence in the program, does it?

Calendar-wise, "summer" is June thru August.
Culturally, "summer" is Memorial Day thru Labor Day.
Astronomically, "summer" on this part of the planet is June 21st to September 21st.

Even in SoCal when we get our hottest days of the year in September and early October, I consider summer to end on Labor Day. I refuse to watch any beach movie with Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello after that date, it's a hard and fast rule in my home. That, and the white linen trousers go to the back of the closet.
By the end of the summer, the message will change to “later this fall” and so on…

el_super

TP2000

From page 7 of today's earnings call statement...

"The increase in average per capita ticket revenue was due to the introduction of Genie+ and Lightning Lane in the first quarter of the current fiscal year and a reduced impact from promotions at Walt Disney World Resort, partially offset by an unfavorable attendance mix at Disneyland Resort."

They're throwing Anaheim under the bus for this quarter. Not a good sign for the Magic Key Kids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom