magic express

mary219

It looks like we wont be renting a car for our trip 8/25-9/04.We were originally checking into pop on 8/26 with a car rental.We are arriving on 8/25 and are now booked for one night at all star sports($64.41-NOT BAD)and will check into pop next day.I wanted to rent a car with my debit card(lousy credit for various reasons),but was told they would do a credit check which could bar us from renting a car.So even though i am not crazy about using transportaion by disney,it looks as if i may have no choice(putting a little damper on my plans,but we will survive).
So,we are arriving at 7:00 pm on sat 8/25 and have added magic express to our reservation.How does it work?Is it a better idea to just take a cab to all star?Does magic express get your bags and if they do, am i better off getting them myself?Is a cab a better choice to save time.I dont want to spend hours hanging around the airport and checking in really late.What is everybodys opinion?maybe a walkthrough of what to do once we arrive at MCO from someone who has used ME,if anybody can help.

shoppingnut

I've used ME many times and it's not a problem. Since you are arriving in the late evening, I would collect your luggage, go to the ME counter check in and get on the line for the bus. From the time you get off the plane, stop in the bathroom, collect the luggage, check in at ME and get on the bus and to the resort will be about 1 1/2hrs which isn't all that bad. A cab is a waste of money IMO and I think the cab cost is about $50.

When you check in at All Stars, explain that you will be changing hotels in the morning and ask about transport to Pop, they should be able to take you and your luggage over to Pop, so you don't have to pay for a cab, just a tip to the guy who drives you over and loads/unloads the luggage.

Upvote 0

Gig 'Em Mickey

We thought the express was great. Saved a lot of time. Just be sure you have your essentials in your carry-on. It took about 3 hours after we checked to actually receive our bags. But we literally got off the plane and got on the bus and were at our hotel within an hour of landing. Not sure how you would get your bags from ASM to POP though.

If you still want to do the rental let them do the "credit check." It's not a credit check in the traditional sense, more of an abbreviated check and identity verification. It also does not show up an inquiry on your credit report. It might be too late and too big a pain to change plans now, but I wouldn't let the credit check concern bother you. I too have bad credit and only use a debit card and I never have a problem renting a car.

Upvote 0

raven

The first time I used Magical Express it took 7 hours and many calls to the front desk at Pop before we got our luggage. I'm not sure why it took so long as it was value season and Pop was nearly abandoned at the time. The last time we used it the service was fine.

Be aware that the drivers og the busses for Magical Express may give you wrong information about the parks and property. I know a lot about WDW but when our driver told everyone that the monorail goes to every park I knew he didn't know much or was new. He also said 3PM Mickey and Friends Parade (?) went from MGM Studios all the way to Main Street USA and Frontierland. (That's about 4 or 5 miles!) :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

SamnDawn060304

It looks like we wont be renting a car for our trip 8/25-9/04.We were originally checking into pop on 8/26 with a car rental.We are arriving on 8/25 and are now booked for one night at all star sports($64.41-NOT BAD)and will check into pop next day.I wanted to rent a car with my debit card(lousy credit for various reasons),but was told they would do a credit check which could bar us from renting a car.So even though i am not crazy about using transportaion by disney,it looks as if i may have no choice(putting a little damper on my plans,but we will survive).
So,we are arriving at 7:00 pm on sat 8/25 and have added magic express to our reservation.How does it work?Is it a better idea to just take a cab to all star?Does magic express get your bags and if they do, am i better off getting them myself?Is a cab a better choice to save time.I dont want to spend hours hanging around the airport and checking in really late.What is everybodys opinion?maybe a walkthrough of what to do once we arrive at MCO from someone who has used ME,if anybody can help.

If you are only planning on doing Disney then Magical Express is great and you save money. But if you want to see the other things that Orlando has to offer then I would get the car. I always use a Debit card when I rent cars and have never had a problem.

Ps I always use Alamo

Upvote 0

mary219

Original Poster
We thought the express was great. Saved a lot of time. Just be sure you have your essentials in your carry-on. It took about 3 hours after we checked to actually receive our bags. But we literally got off the plane and got on the bus and were at our hotel within an hour of landing. Not sure how you would get your bags from ASM to POP though.

If you still want to do the rental let them do the "credit check." It's not a credit check in the traditional sense, more of an abbreviated check and identity verification. It also does not show up an inquiry on your credit report. It might be too late and too big a pain to change plans now, but I wouldn't let the credit check concern bother you. I too have bad credit and only use a debit card and I never have a problem renting a car.

Thats good to know,i wasn't sure what type of credit check they meant,so i was still going to try when i got there ,but i wanted to be prepared just in case.Thanks for the replies,guys,you have all been so helpful the past few months.

Upvote 0

mary219

Original Poster
If you are only planning on doing Disney then Magical Express is great and you save money. But if you want to see the other things that Orlando has to offer then I would get the car. I always use a Debit card when I rent cars and have never had a problem.

Ps I always use Alamo
The problem is I always use public transportation in ny(i dont drive ,husband does)and would love to take a break from waiting for buses and taking twice as long to get places.Plus I plan on avoiding the parks over labor day weekend and would like the option of exploring a little bit!:)

Upvote 0

disneydudette

I didn't have an issue with ME and will continue using it.

I would not let ME handle your bags though, so don't use the Yellow lugage stickers. This way, your able to get your bags to your rooms asap instead of waiting (especially since it's that late at night). Bringing your bags to the ME terminal can be a pain, but worth it with your situation. You'll check in at the ME desk, and be assigned a line to wait for your bus. I believe the ME all star bus is shared between all three all star resorts. The ride is such a nice way to start a vacation in my opinion. They [should] play a nice introduction video welcoming you to Disney World which helps pass the time. You'll then be dropped off at your resort, luggage handed to you, and on your way to start your vacation!

One thing your going to have note is how to make your reservations. Because you have two reservations, and two different resorts for arrival and departure... make sure your ME vouchers are in order. When you call to make a reservation (call at least several weeks in advance) let them know that your arrival flight is to ASM and your departure flight is from POP Century.

To me personally, using a cab is pointless. My resort rate includes airport transportation so why not use it? I haven't had an issue with ME handeling my luggage, but we usually arrive in the morning hours and by the time we return from the park, our luggage is in the room.

ME should get you to your resort (with luggage in hand) in a very timely manner. Since you have to grab your bags anyway for the cab, it would be about the same amount time (give or take a couple minutes for waiting for the bus) and save you some money.

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

The WDW transportation system worked well for us last summer (during the busy season).
I have heard that of all the value resorts, the transportation system at POP is the best (we will be at POP in Sept.).
We also used DME last summer.
We did not have to wait very long to board a bus from the airport.
It took about 30 min. to reach our resort (we stayed at POR).
Just make sure you have your DME tickets w/ you so that you can board the bus.
They will take care of your luggage for you.
Hope this helps!
Have a great trip!
:wave:

Upvote 0

Heatherbell

Same here, used DME several times and let them handle my luggage with no problems. We even had a very late flight one time and we still had no problems. We did however have to wait for our luggage until midnight but we are night owls anyway so it was no big deal.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

Ps I always use Alamo
Yes, I think Alamo is one of the only rental car companies that will take a debit card. :) :wave:

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I have used DME A bunch of times and have had very little problem with it. The wait times have never been horrific at the airport, especially with some great CM's around to entertain you with trivia and singalongs. The luggage service is awesome and is the ultimate in relaxation. As others have said you can also grab your own bags and go to the bus so you arent waiting for them at the resort. Either way is fine but if you plan on collecting them DONT put the yellow DME tags on the bags at all. If the bags are tagged they will NOT come out at the luggage carousel and will be collected by Disney behind the scenes. Any other questions, feel free to post and Ill try to get back to you! Belle

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

Be aware that the drivers og the busses for Magical Express may give you wrong information about the parks and property. I know a lot about WDW but when our driver told everyone that the monorail goes to every park I knew he didn't know much or was new. He also said 3PM Mickey and Friends Parade (?) went from MGM Studios all the way to Main Street USA and Frontierland. (That's about 4 or 5 miles!) :rolleyes:
Good advice, raven! I love DME, but I wouldn't take Disney advice from DME drivers any more seriously than I'd take driving lessons from Paris Hilton.

DME drivers aren't even Disney CMs, they are employees of a DME subcontractor, Mears. Therefore, I wouldn't expect them to be any more knowledgable about WDW than any other central Floridian.

Now, to the OP's question ... I just LOVE having DME handle my luggage for me. If you go to baggage claim to get your own luggage, keep in mind that you are slowing yourself down unnecessarily, and that you'll probably miss the first available bus to your resort. One of the beauties of DME is not having to wait at baggage claim for your luggage. Now, people will say if you don't do that then you have to wait for it in your room. Well, you don't need to wait in your room ... it'll appear inside your room whether you're in there or not.

With a 7:00 p.m. landing, you can expect your bags by around 11:00 p.m. or so. If you don't want them that late, you can request at your resort to have your bags held 'til morning, and pack accordingly in your carry-ons. I did this, and it was great. When I got up at 6:30 a.m., I called Bell Services for my bags and they were there 5 minutes later. No matter where I fly, I always pack for the first 24 hours in my carry-on, just in case the AIRLINE delays my luggage.

Upvote 0

Heatherbell

Good advice, raven! I love DME, but I wouldn't take Disney advice from DME drivers any more seriously than I'd take driving lessons from Paris Hilton.

Hey! Whats wrong with Paris Hilton????

Just kidding!
But like I said, I agree, ME is good. I have never had difficulty. I have given them my bags with full confidence. As several people have said...pack a bag with things you absolutely need until your bags arrive. You should be all set!

Upvote 0

rocketscientist

I just had a quick question (i feel bad, I just keep asking questions, all this is new to me!) So they don't have a problem if you get your own luggage, you just don't put the tags on, and you can bring it on the bus with you?

We're getting in kinda later in the evening (I think 10 - 11 ~ish), and don't really want to wait until 2 am if the wait times are what people say they are but need our bags (contact solutions..etc)

We're at POP century, there's actually busses for the different hotels? Is there a cutoff time they stop running?

Thanks so much!

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hi Rocket, There are different busses for different hotel areas. So for example if your bus is in the EPCOT area you will probably go to the Beach Club, The Yacht Club Boardwalk etc. There is no real cut off for the bus times so dont worry. If you signed up for DME Disney knows you are coming!!!! Belle

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom