Magic Express Tags

Minnie1986

My apologies, as I'm sure this has been asked numerous times. Can someone tell me how close to your trip the tags get mailed? Wednesday makes the 2 week mark, and I want to make sure I have everything together. The last 7 days before take off are going to be insane at work, so I'm packing, etc this week. Thank you!!

Last edited:

Souvenir

It depends on how far ahead you've made your reservation. We've always gotten ours 30-45 days prior to departure except when we've made our plans last minute.

Also- they won't mail them until you provide your flight info., so if you haven't done that yet you need to give them a call.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
It depends on how far ahead you've made your reservation. We've always gotten ours 30-45 days prior to departure except when we've made our plans last minute.

Also- they won't mail them until you provide your flight info., so if you haven't done that yet you need to give them a call.
I booked through a Travel Agent. She has all of our flight information. I remember getting them a month ahead of time two years ago. I'll email her to see what's up.

Upvote 0

Souvenir

I booked through a Travel Agent. She has all of our flight information. I remember getting them a month ahead of time two years ago. I'll email her to see what's up.
I would definitely get in touch with your agent. It's possible she neglected to provide Disney with your flight info or some other small detail which is holding things up. There's also the off chance that your tags went missing in the mail. Best to call and get it settled rather than worrying yourself. Don't be too concerned though, it is still possible to take advantage of the luggage service even if you don't receive tags. Just notify the Disney cast member when you check in at the Magical Express desk. They will collect some information from you about your luggage and arrange for it to be picked up at the carousel and delivered to your room.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
I would definitely get in touch with your agent. It's possible she neglected to provide Disney with your flight info or some other small detail which is holding things up. There's also the off chance that your tags went missing in the mail. Best to call and get it settled rather than worrying yourself. Don't be too concerned though, it is still possible to take advantage of the luggage service even if you don't receive tags. Just notify the Disney cast member when you check in at the Magical Express desk. They will collect some information from you about your luggage and arrange for it to be picked up at the carousel and delivered to your room.
Definitely thought it was weird since I got my tags before my magic bands in 2015, and I received my new bands almost two weeks ago.

My travel agent just called Disney, and according to them, I should have my tags in a week. Thanks for letting me know that I can still utilize the service without the physical tags.

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

Definitely thought it was weird since I got my tags before my magic bands in 2015, and I received my new bands almost two weeks ago.

My travel agent just called Disney, and according to them, I should have my tags in a week. Thanks for letting me know that I can still utilize the service without the physical tags.
We also typically get our tags about the same time as the magic bands. My guess is the TA did not relay the information like they should have.

Without the tags I would just get my own bags. There are way to many bags that come and go from the airport to trust that somebody will pull the correct bags or that somebody else won't pull your bags my mistake.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
We also typically get our tags about the same time as the magic bands. My guess is the TA did not relay the information like they should have.

Without the tags I would just get my own bags. There are way to many bags that come and go from the airport to trust that somebody will pull the correct bags or that somebody else won't pull your bags my mistake.

There's no real reason to think there would be a problem. On most of our visits (coming from the UK) we have flown via a US hub, so when we arrive in Orlando we just hand our luggage receipts over to the desk. Disney even encourage you to put bags back after clearing customs (if you fly direct) and let them do the work - we didn't take them up on that though! But they must manage it Ok for international visitors in general or they wouldn't push it so hard.

The special luggage tags aren't going to stop someone stealing bags, and I'm sure the tags get ripped off at times too. It's up to people to decide for themselves, but I don't think having special,tags makes it any more or less likely for luggage to be left behind or lost. I'm more than happy to let Disney take care of it for me.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster

Last time, I used the tags and ended up wanting my bag with me, instead. I didn't realize it takes them up to 3 hours post arrival to get the bags to your room. The TA spoke with Disney yesterday, and they should be arriving within a week. If I don't have them by my departure date, I'm just going to retrieve our bags myself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

It can vary. We have had trips where the tags arrived about 2 weeks in advance and others just days before. We were also told that in the chance tags did not show up in time for leaving to inform the CM at the DME check in desk and they would still be able to get your bags processed for your resort.

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

The special luggage tags aren't going to stop someone stealing bags, and I'm sure the tags get ripped off at times too. It's up to people to decide for themselves, but I don't think having special,tags makes it any more or less likely for luggage to be left behind or lost. I'm more than happy to let Disney take care of it for me.
With the yellow luggage tags your bags never make it to the carousel. The way I understand it they are pulled from the plane and put on carts. From there they are diverted to Disney for sorting by hotel, caged, and they loaded on the trucks for delivery to the hotel where a cast member delivers them. Telling the cast member at the DME desk that your bags are going around and around the unsecure carousel and asking then to have them collected and brought to your room seems a bit risky in my opinion. I wouldn't take the chance. It may work perfectly 99 times out of a 100 but I don't want to be that 1.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
It can vary. We have had trips where the tags arrived about 2 weeks in advance and others just days before. We were also told that in the chance tags did not show up in time for leaving to inform the CM at the DME check in desk and they would still be able to get your bags processed for your resort.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
With the yellow luggage tags your bags never make it to the carousel. The way I understand it they are pulled from the plane and put on carts. From there they are diverted to Disney for sorting by hotel, caged, and they loaded on the trucks for delivery to the hotel where a cast member delivers them. Telling the cast member at the DME desk that your bags are going around and around the unsecure carousel and asking then to have them collected and brought to your room seems a bit risky in my opinion. I wouldn't take the chance. It may work perfectly 99 times out of a 100 but I don't want to be that 1.
With my luck, I would be that 1 person.

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

Last time, I used the tags and ended up wanting my bag with me, instead. I didn't realize it takes them up to 3 hours post arrival to get the bags to your room. The TA spoke with Disney yesterday, and they should be arriving within a week. If I don't have them by my departure date, I'm just going to retrieve our bags myself.
That 3 hours can be a bit inconvenient if you need something or are arriving after 8 or 9 but you are arriving in the morning to mid/later afternoon the service is really nice. We take a roller and backpacks on the plane with us with everything we need for the day and next morning and everything else goes in checked baggage.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
That 3 hours can be a bit inconvenient if you need something or are arriving after 8 or 9 but you are arriving in the morning to mid/later afternoon the service is really nice. We take a roller and backpacks on the plane with us with everything we need for the day and next morning and everything else goes in checked baggage.
This is why I'm leaning towards not using the tags. We don't arrive at MCO until 10pm. Not trying to stay up waiting for the bags, or risk having the 8yo with me woken up. Sleepy 8yo=no fun at the park the next morning.

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

This is why I'm leaning towards not using the tags. We don't arrive at MCO until 10pm. Not trying to stay up waiting for the bags, or risk having the 8yo with me woken up. Sleepy 8yo=no fun at the park the next morning.
I would skip it for sure. Even if you land at 9:55pm and make the 10pm cut off you are still looking at close to 1am for luggage delivery. Depending on what hotel you staying at and where you get put at I would check and see if somebody can help with your bags when you arrive at the hotel. The last time we had a late arrival we stayed at Coronado Springs and got put in the back corner of Rancho's 7A (ie the absolute furthest room from El Centro) and we looked at the map and said no problem. Well with 2 large rollers, 1 carry-on, 2 backpacks, and 1 exhausted 11 year old the walk seemed to take 2 hours.....

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member

But that's what international guests do all the time! My point being that you're ruling something out that happens every day for hundreds of people. But yeah, up to you! ;)

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

Our trip is November 16th and we got our tags back in May. Also I know it says it can take up to 4 hours for your bags to arrive, but almost every time we go to our room before going to the parks on arrival day, our bags are already there, so they are actually beating us there. Not having to go to the stupid baggage claim is the main reason we use Magic Express.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

phrog

I really like them getting my bags for me as it is less walking for me. Last time we flew in our plane landed at 9pm and we only waited until about midnight for the bags to be delivered. I let them know when we checked in that we would need the bags that night. We had our customary first night room service pizza then took showers and the bags were there.

Upvote 0

jenseib

Landing that late, they actually want you to collect your bags and take them. They say they won't be delivered till the next day otherwise, but in some cases people get knocks at the door at 2 AM with luggage. It depends on how your agent submitted the info. But there is a way for her to get the tags immediately after she submits it if she uses the online form.

Upvote 0

Jahona

I just got my tracking info from my TA with my tags and the rest of my packet info. I'm 2 weeks out currently. I had an issue back in 2015 were my TA mailed the packet but the box was mangled in one of the sorting machines at the post office. I got a hold of my TA and was able to overnight my tags a few days before. TA was wonderful to work with, post office not so much.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom