Maelstrom refurbished!

spiritofNorway

Original Poster
WOW! I had a visit to Maelstrom in Norway yesterday and was shocked to find out that the ride has been updated/cleaned/fixed alot suddenly.

Some changes to the pavilion has appeared as well.

The trees outside in the pound are gone, the reeally tall trees right outside Maelstrom thats been there for 25 years are now history. Personally I do like it as it gives a better view. Disney also painted the tower on Akershus to look like its made of copper, it used to be brown but now looks like it should.

What has changed in Maelstrom:
- Fastpass + is set up and ready for launch.
- New tiling in load scene, so there is no longer water damage on the mural or ceiling. It actually smelled ok in there now.... The room also seems brighter.
- Viking scene: They put in a big powerful light so its daylight in there now, while it does give you the possibility to see the entire scene much better I think its a bit too bright.
- Troll scene: Trolls are moving better than they used too, the waterside troll is also more hidden before he comes up from the water. More mood lighting. Now we are just missing the smoke in this scene...
- Polar bear scene: the missing rock piece is replaced and the "ice" seems to be better.
- North sea: The wall projecting other oil rigs have been changed/fixed so not dirty and broken anymore. More storm effects: it actually splashes against the oil rig now, and they also have water fog effects there now....
- Unload/Skudesneshavn: Much brighter, some tiles replaced. Personally it could be a tad less bright.
Theater: Carpets been cleaned and something has truly been done to it. The movie also seems to have been made digital now as its much brighter and much more clear... It still has those old moments, but it was actually much more fun to watch.

I was sooo shocked when I figured this out, I had to take the ride like three times to believe it myself. Right now I love Disney!

Whats missing to be done in Maelstrom:
Smoke effects in the troll scene, polar bear cleaning, remove the black mold on the mural before the north sea and new movie.... But, I am so proud of the company right now.

nepalostparks

I've noticed on recent visits some scrims up outside near the entrance, but didn't think much of it. Good to see some care being given without having to be a major refurbishment.

To the OP, when was the last time you visited/rode before yesterday?

NeedMoreMickey

This is awful but I can't remember now if the wall was still up blocking the water fall near the entrance when we were there in April. So busy trying to get parents settled on their scooters I completely missed it.

PUSH

I noticed the water splashing on the oil rigs when I rode it twice last week. Didn't notice anything else, though. Maybe it was just me.

aladdin2007

- Viking scene: They put in a big powerful light so its daylight in there now, while it does give you the possibility to see the entire scene much better I think its a bit too bright.

I dont like the sound of that at all, part of the wonder of it was the darkness and night theme. Spotlights they have been adding to so many things lately are ruining things.

The ride never went down and closed did it? When did all this happen lol. What about the waterfall out front? Anyone have pictures?

Magenta Panther

WOW! I had a visit to Maelstrom in Norway yesterday and was shocked to find out that the ride has been updated/cleaned/fixed alot suddenly.

Some changes to the pavilion has appeared as well.

The trees outside in the pound are gone, the reeally tall trees right outside Maelstrom thats been there for 25 years are now history. Personally I do like it as it gives a better view. Disney also painted the tower on Akershus to look like its made of copper, it used to be brown but now looks like it should.

What has changed in Maelstrom:
- Fastpass + is set up and ready for launch.
- New tiling in load scene, so there is no longer water damage on the mural or ceiling. It actually smelled ok in there now.... The room also seems brighter.
- Troll scene: Trolls are moving better than they used too, the waterside troll is also more hidden before he comes up from the water. More mood lighting. Now we are just missing the smoke in this scene...
- Polar bear scene: the missing rock piece is replaced and the "ice" seems to be better.
- North sea: The wall projecting other oil rigs have been changed/fixed so not dirty and broken anymore. More storm effects: it actually splashes against the oil rig now, and they also have water fog effects there now....
- Unload/Skudesneshavn: Much brighter, some tiles replaced. Personally it could be a tad less bright.
Theater: Carpets been cleaned and something has truly been done to it. The movie also seems to have been made digital now as its much brighter and much more clear... It still has those old moments, but it was actually much more fun to watch.

I was sooo shocked when I figured this out, I had to take the ride like three times to believe it myself. Right now I love Disney!

Whats missing to be done in Maelstrom:
Smoke effects in the troll scene, polar bear cleaning, remove the black mold on the mural before the north sea and new movie.... But, I am so proud of the company right now.

WOW!!!! This is great news!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom