M:S disappointing

Shaman

Originally posted by GaryT977
I'll just say that if you don't like it, don't go! It will lessen the wait time for the rest of us. :animwink:

Makes sense to me...I mean when was the last time anyone went to Disney for intense attractions...thats just my opinion though...

:D

stingrock23

I've also got to disagree. My first ride on it was very intense. I don't know which Mission Space you went on, but the one I went on was certainly pretty intense.

They could have improved the weightlessness a little, but the blast off and moon slingshot were incredible. I think the fact that this attraction was very over-hyped may have lead to your opinion. It was hyped for so long that it's hard to meet those expectations.

imagineer99

Originally posted by GaryT977
This looks like it's going to be another one of those 'opinion' threads. I'll just say that if you don't like it, don't go! It will lessen the wait time for the rest of us. :animwink:

Great Point...Some people like rides, others don't. You can't please everybody.

Personally, I thought Mission: Space was really cool. I think space travel is fascinating, so this ride was that much more compelling. Plus, like every Disney Ride, the theming, preshow, and story are top notch.

imagineersrock

Originally posted by egionet
I agree with a lot of you guys. I really enjoyed the ride, but it was certainly not as intense as I expected it to be. I was expecting it to be the greatest ride of my life, and it didn't even compare to some rides. Now technology-wise, it's amazing, and top of the line. But I think other rides are more "intense."

I couldnt have said it better myself:cool:

Kramjam33

I rode Mission: Space the first day it was opened to the public, if i am correct, back in August 2003. I thought MS was one of the neatest things i have EVER experienced in my whole life...(even though i am only 16) it was the coolest thing ever. The story was great, the pre-launch was great, and i though that the intensity was just fine. Anyways, i loved every second of it and it has become one of my favorite rides ever.

TURKEY

Originally posted by imagineer boy
5 seconds? The Lift-off Gs sequence lasts about 20 seconds and the moon shot lasts about 10 seconds, and those are some very strong gs. You can't even lift your arms.

You can lift your arms. I had my head and arms almost on the screen tonight.

It's fun when you try to just watch the other screens and not your own. I felt a little funny after doing that tonight.

surfsupdon

Before even riding, I too began a thread about MS being overrated b/c I just had a feeling it might be. However, after riding, I found it most enjoyable and actually quite unbelievable. It was such an amazing feeling. I rode 5 times throughout the vacation.

So I began as devil's advocate trying to get people out of the woodwork about not liking MS, but I am now one who really like MS and miss not having it at my leisure to ride.

Swagger

Mission Space lived up to everything I had hoped except for two things..... Zero G and intensity. I could lift and move any part of my body on the ride. But I also look left, right, and closed my eyes and never felt sick or like I was spinning. But I have yet to ever black or white out on a ride anywhere.

cherrynegra

Lucky you. Mission Space (aka the Vominator as I like to call it) made me nauseous. And a ride on Body Wars completed the process by sending me to the nearest restroom to hurl buckets. However, I had serious jet lag at the time and would like to know if riding Mission Space without jet lag would result in a different effect.

chrisjoi

I envy all of you who have ridden mission space... I havent had the opportunity but look forward to it. I am an aviation and space nut so I think it will be great regardless... Hope to ride it soon!

General Grizz

The ride itself was cool. The pavilion dissappointed me as a whole (you know, small and cramped and lack of a great amount of unique experience for families).

I think it could have used SPACE (ironically. I don't see why they didn't extend it back and made a nice queue area. Space Mountain's is much more impressive to me. . . and looking at a dyer - I mean! - spacewheel for an hour gets one pretty dizzy, I hear. :lookaroun

Overall, unique experience. But it could have definitely used more original song and "heart."

ok it can't be that bad

:wave:

Ok, Mission Space can be that bad guys! When I worked at Test TRack during construnction of Space, we were told that it was going to be very intense and then during testing it had to be calmed down a few times. If you want a really intense Mission Space, then go join the Space Program. You can't have a ride that makes 9 out of 10 people sick. It just doesn't work like that! No one would ever ride it. WHo wants to ride a ride where they are given a 90% chance of yarfing all over the place? I don't! No one does! Don't except so much from it. I have heard all good things about the ride. I have heard it is awesome so I would have to go with them. I'm going back in May and I will post my thoughts about how the ride was to me then.

Swagger

They really should just take one centrifuge from space and tune it up. Put warnings for that one centrifuge all over the place though.

BwanaBob

One common theme in threads!

I agree with testtrack...
"Who wants to ride a ride where they are given a 90% chance of yarfing all over the place?"

Anyone heard of the real "vomit commit"?...

(centrifuge at NASA that they test on? Ever seen movie "The Right Stuff"?)

One common theme in all of our posts is this...

IT'S UNIQUE!

Nowhere has this type of ride-system been tried or tested. To combine full simulator functions on the end of spinning arms off a fuge is "extreme".

That is the only way I have described the ride to others; as "you've never been on anything like it. I can't compare to anything!"

Intense? Personal opinion. Unique? Yes.

cm1988

Just for a second...

I enjoyed the sensations of liftoff, even though finding them a little less intense than I had anticipated (feared?). And even though my favorite ride would be a roller coaster - about 250 feet tall is just right - I found Mission Space no less than an E-ticket, repeatable experience.

Usually, about the point we're descending to Mars, I'm thinking... just for a second... wow, what if this were real.

The graphics are clear enough and the sounds and sense of motion add up to just a few seconds when you can really be thrilled by that thought. Thrilled in a way a 250-foot coaster can't approach.

If you can handle spinning rides and simulators, this is a journey you should experience.

imagineer99

Originally posted by Swagger
They really should just take one centrifuge from space and tune it up. Put warnings for that one centrifuge all over the place though.

Good idea. I would love to see this happen. However, in all likelihood it is not realistic. Having one centrifuge operate at a highter intensity would be VERY confusing to the novice vistor. The fact is some one would accidentally board the wrong centrifuge, get very sick, and blame Disney for the entire thing. That is why they have to keep all centrifuges operating at the same level. Also, having different centrifuges could cause trouble in loading and crowd control.

surfsupdon

I'm curious to know if those that disliked Mission Space had to wait in a long line before boearding. I made this mistake for my first time on Test Track--waited 75 mins and was completely let down. So we knew our first ride on MS should not be the posted 100mins. We'd walk over each morning from Yacht Club and go on first thing. And I learned that Testy Track isnt too bad either, as long as wait times are kept under 30 mins.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom