Lunch with an Imagineer rumors answered

maelstrom

Beastly Kingdom -- already done -- think Yeti and a whole section of the park devoted to it (the whole Nepal area)

I don't think Everest can be considered the outcome of Beastly Kingdom. Sure, there's a yeti, and he's quite beastly, but that's about it. I know that we'll never get the Beastly Kingdom that was originally planned. But I think if they're going to do any sort of Beastly Kingdom -ish thing, it'll be greater than a yeti.

They still have not addressed the dragon on AK's logo!

MikMin6554

This is just my 2 cents. I went on the Backstage Tour in August and as far as the busses go some of them are running on "Bio-Diesel" so they are already trying to be greener. We were also told that Iger himself has said they will not build a 5th gate park(our guide went to college with him).

scottnj1966

It's great that you got to do lunch with an imagineer but to answer things that were already known is very frustrating. I guess they have to keep most everything secret.

It's too bad he couldnt mention anything no one knew about.
But I cant wait for the space mountain and haunted mansion upgrades. I have seen them both at DL. they are awesome.

On 9/27 I did the "Lunch with an Imagineer" program at MGM and it was by far the BEST experience of my whole vactaion. We had the opportunity to ask him questions about happenings around The World and here's what I could get out of him (I also posted some of these in my TR). Also, keep in mind, they are 'breifed' on what they can talk about and what they can't so here goes:

- Haunted Mansion is going to get refreshed (there are quite a few effects not working right now) and he wouldn't confirm 100% if the Attic scene is going to be modeled after Disneylands but I bet it will be.
- Space Mountain - will eventually be re-done like Disneyland's: darker, new track, etc.
- Beastlie Kingdom - will more-than-likely appear at AK in SOME form and is NOT going to be a 5th gate
- 5th Gate - There is no talk about it at the moment, their focus is updating/upgraing the current 4 parks and once they have the capacity needs for a 5th gate, it'll be discussed. Also they're researching on average how many days a family stays at the parks, if there is really a need for a 5th gate to do the length of people's vacations.
- Monorail Expansion - Not in the works, too expensive considering they're trying to improve all 4 parks at the moment. BUT...they are looking at re-vamping the whole Disney transportation system to make it more environmentally friendly.

...that's all I can remember at this point (I should've taken notes!!) so gossip away!! :wave:

Centrifugeer

I'm just finding these announcements too general.
They are taking what is generally known and just adapting it so it makes the customer excited.

Beastly Kingdom -- already done -- think Yeti and a whole section of the park devoted to it (the whole Nepal area)
5th gate -- of course not
Transportation -- of course their trying to make it greener, Disney does this all the time with everything and recycling - and look at some of the newer busses already - higher capacity, easier handicapped loading, newer bus = better emissions
Space Mountain -- eventually needs a retracking - it is one of the oldest operating steel tubular track roller coasters ever - it's due for a retrack
Haunted Mansion -- already been through many upgrades - will eventually have another

I'm not trying to be negative or ruin the magic, but these aren't even close to the "real" projects going on...

I have to disagree, at least with the last two. They are real projects that from what I've seen and heard have already been given the go-ahead. A Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion refurb are both currently in the works.

Tim G

I have to disagree, at least with the last two. They are real projects that from what I've seen and heard have already been given the go-ahead. A Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion refurb are both currently in the works.
No sir... They're still discussing about it...

cloudboy

If I do one of these lunches, is it all going to be everyone trying to hit up the imagineer for what's coming to the parks? I would hate to wase all that time and money if you can't get to a real conversation and just end up with another rehas of the rumors forum...

MickeyTigg

Doesn't this contradict everything we have heard from reliable sources on these boards? Anyone know anthing about a change? As much as I would love to belive this I have to say SALT!:hammer:

No...actually, this pretty much goes with what Joe Rohde has said all along. We will see elements of BK in the park, just not as a separate area.

Centrifugeer

If I do one of these lunches, is it all going to be everyone trying to hit up the imagineer for what's coming to the parks? I would hate to wase all that time and money if you can't get to a real conversation and just end up with another rehas of the rumors forum...

You can talk about anything you want...within the bounds of good conversational taste. :)

I would like to say that Disney is not just throwing any Imagineer out there to the public. Although it is semi-voluntary there is a relatively small pool of Imagineers who participate in this program. It requires some fairly in-depth knowledge about Disney, which not all of us possess, as well as some specialized people skills, which not all of us possess, including me. The ones who do it do so because they want to and because they are a good face for Disney and know what they are talking about. No Imagineer is there to BS you or mislead, ever. People skills or not, one thing I can tell you about Imagineers is they we are straight shooters. BS doesn't is not tolerated in Imagineering.

Jheyman

No...actually, this pretty much goes with what Joe Rohde has said all along. We will see elements of BK in the park, just not as a separate area.

Your comment I can belive somewhat but the OP said that "Beastilie Kingdom in some form" I was thinking more some sort of mythical area with a different concept of rides then originally planned.

- Beastlie Kingdom - will more-than-likely appear at AK in SOME form and is NOT going to be a 5th gate

cloudboy

You can talk about anything you want...within the bounds of good conversational taste. :)

I would like to say that Disney is not just throwing any Imagineer out there to the public. Although it is semi-voluntary there is a relatively small pool of Imagineers who participate in this program. It requires some fairly in-depth knowledge about Disney, which not all of us possess, as well as some specialized people skills, which not all of us possess, including me. The ones who do it do so because they want to and because they are a good face for Disney and know what they are talking about. No Imagineer is there to BS you or mislead, ever. People skills or not, one thing I can tell you about Imagineers is they we are straight shooters. BS doesn't is not tolerated in Imagineering.

I am actually talking about the participants, and this is a nit of a worry for me. I really want to learn more about the field, and not just Disney. But I am concerned that most of the people who do the program will be out there trying to hunt down obscure clues to upcoming attractions and hog all the conversation. Is it done conversational style, or is it more a stand up Q&A?

Montu

Space Mountain -- eventually needs a retracking - it is one of the oldest operating steel tubular track roller coasters ever - it's due for a retrack

Allow me to put on my coaster geek hat for just a moment.

Are you nuts? One of the oldest steel track coasters ever? 1975?

Hardly. Matterhorn Bobsleds opened in 1959. Beyond the obvious point that *it* still runs on it's original track, there were countless dozens of other steel coasters produced before Space Mountain opened in 1975.

That's not to say that it's not a terribly uncomfortable ride- because it is. It did not hold up well with time, and considering what a tame, slow coaster it is, for it to be that rough I shudder to think of what any high speed coaster WED could have build would be like today.

All I'm saying is don't make (false) generalizations to prove a point that, well, should be obvious even without proof! Space Mountain needs to be retracked.

Lewis Carroll

Account Suspended
and for the record Joe Rhode had a Q & A session with castmembers a few months ago and alot of people asked about beastly kingdom and Rhode himself said that a fantasy area with dragons and such is still a possibility but its just a matter of the "stars alligning just right" those are his words exactly. However, it won't be anytime soon because Joe Rhode is currently working on a major new project for Disney that has nothing to do with animal kingdom. In fact, this is Rhode's first non-dak project in 15 years I believe.

juan

Allow me to put on my coaster geek hat for just a moment.

Are you nuts? One of the oldest steel track coasters ever? 1975?

Hardly. Matterhorn Bobsleds opened in 1959. Beyond the obvious point that *it* still runs on it's original track, there were countless dozens of other steel coasters produced before Space Mountain opened in 1975.

All I'm saying is don't make (false) generalizations to prove a point that, well, should be obvious even without proof! Space Mountain needs to be retracked.

If you are such a roller coaster geek, then first check your sources before calling someone out.

I too know quite a bit about roller coasters.

Matterhorn Bobsleds was the first tubular steel track coaster. Space Mountain was built with the same track style.
Considering all currently operating tubular steel track coasters, Space Mountain is one of the oldest.
The Matterhorn was developed by Arrow. The track style was soon changed and was improved for the Arrow Mine Train style, a much different type of track.
But Space Mountain was built by WED using the same type of track as Matterhorn and not the improved upon Arrow Mine Train type of track.

The only older currently operating tubular steel track coasters are:
Matterhorn Bobsleds - 1959
*Mine Train - 1966 (*=Arrow Mine Train)
*Dahlonega Mine Train - 1967
*Marche du Mille-pattes - 1967
Bobsleds - 1968
*Mini Mine Train - 1969
*Cedar Creek Mine Ride -1969
Toboggan - 1971
*Gold Rusher - 1971
*River King Mine Train - 1971
*Carolina Gold Rusher - 1973
*Trailblazer - 1974
*Runaway Mine Train - 1974
Space Mountain - 1975

So Space Mountain is the 14th oldest operating tubular steel roller coaster. And the 4th oldest non-Arrow Mine Train clone coaster.
Not countless dozens.

disneygal1012

OMG the Cobb salad was amazing and I do NOT like Cobb salads!! :p
yeah the Cobb Salad is awesome. I work at the Brown Derby and I can tell you that the Cobb is one of the top selling items we have.
Btw the fallen angel do you remember who your server was?

Isn't the Brown Derby awesome!!! I miss that place.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

No. Most of the 'what coming up' questions came at the end (it was almost a 3-hour lunch).

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

THANK YOU!!!!!! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy: I'm getting tired of people 'slamming' the Dine w/an Imagineer program saying it's BS. It's a WONDERFUL program and I hope they never get rid of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom