Lucky The Dinosaur in New York

maryszhi

that is awesome, however i saw him at animal kingdom and i dont think ill be in new york until the summer our annuel boston,cape, new england trip. i think its nice how they are showing it in other places but disney. it is amazing and its nice how more people are going to be able to see it

HinunterZuNich

I don't know why I am up at 1:28am but tickets are available again!!!

Is this event really intended for kids? I may head in alone and don't want to stick out like a sore thumb LOL.

SewIn2Disney

I hope not! We're in our mid-20's and we're going (without kids!)
I can't wait---we're on our way out in about 10 minutes. Here's hoping the rain holds out for us!

hack2112

I ended up finding this thread through google so I figured I'd join just to add what I could.

other than that, his current home is in glendale at imagineering. this i know because i met him there as part of the backstage magic adventures by disney tour.
You know, I was going to say that...

starwood

Well I went at 10am, and it was very good. If anyone can see the 3pm, but doesn't want to go. GO AND SEE IT! This is a very informative and "behind the scenes" presentation! Lucky is also appearing in the park and he is appearing at 1 1/2-2 hour intervals. He was last out at 1:15pm and may come out again at 3pm! Look for a big white tent and he is there. If he is not out, then try and look through the tent, usually people will walk in and out, and you can see them actually charge Lucky. It's very interesting. Also, talk to a woman (wearing the red lanyard, and she'll be walking around the area) and this woman is a designer behind the new Wall-E animatornic!

WDW Monorail

Just got back. It was great!

I loved all of the demonstrrations they did (won't spoil it for anyone else so :zipit:)

I got to speak with Ben who is a Chemical Engineer at WDI. He was very friendly and gave me some advice on what and where to study to get in to his division (I will be studying ChemE in the Fall).

I also saw Lucky earlier on in the day. What an interesting character.

:)

bradk

unfortunately i left around 12:30 when it started pouring. at that time, Lucky was out very briefly for the opening of the second show.

I do have a ton of pics of the show and will be throwing together as full a report as I can (I apologize in advance when I mangle everyone's names). I'll be posting it on my site though which I don't know if I'll be able to link to (it's commercial free, ad-free and non-forum but a couple of sites are really sensitive about this thing) so if you're interested, feel free to PM me and I'll refer you.

but for now..

304653206_h56Gn-M.jpg

the shot I really liked was completely out of focus (darn rain). the hat actually belong to the kids of the imagineer with him and Disney was taking some photos. I was completely off at a different angle, but Lucky did start posing a bit for me (despite the pressure for him to leave) but unfortunately the rain was messing with the AF.

HinunterZuNich

Just got back from the 12:30 showing!!

The show was great, presented in a very easy to understand but at the same time VERY informative!! While it lasted a little over an hour, it was laid out in a way that had each segment feeling full and not rushed at all!

It was surreal because the feeling I got when the show started, was watching, and it ended was that SAME feeling I get when experiencing a ride/show at WDW.

At the end all the people involved were standing around for people to ask questions/take pictures! I did not have much time so I only got to briefly say to the "roller coaster" imagineer who I can't remember the name of, "The presentation was incredible, can I get a picture with you" ... LOL!! The time I have the opportunity to speak briefly with three imagineers and another great person from the Animal Kingdom, I totally blanked!!!

Oh well, the picture I got also came out ..... guess ..... BLURRY. But anyway, worth the 15 minute drive, the $8 toll, the $20 parking, and $28 (2 tickets) admission by a long shot!

I will be posting pictures shortly after I eat lunch. I am pretty sure a fellow WDWMagic'er was put on stage for the roller coaster segment as the person was wearing the 'vintage' brown Walt Disney World t-shirt found at MouseGear.

Be good!

bradk

WDW already has a bunch of pics from the show up on their news site.

the roller coaster guy is Ric Turner, Ben Schwegler is the WDI chief chemist (or whatever) and Anne Savage was the conservation biologist

others were Asa Kalama and Amber Samdahl

did I miss anyone?

anyway, I'm down to 78 photos right now, not all of them gems. they also include a few from a couple of other things going on at the festival

ETA: oh.. duh.. and Scott Trowbridge was the host

HinunterZuNich

WDW already has a bunch of pics from the show up on their news site.

the roller coaster guy is Ric Turner, Ben Schwegler is the WDI chief chemist (or whatever) and Anne Savage was the conservation biologist

others were Asa Kalama and Amber Samdahl

did I miss anyone?

anyway, I'm down to 78 photos right now, not all of them gems. they also include a few from a couple of other things going on at the festival

ETA: oh.. duh.. and Scott Trowbridge was the host

I knew that Ric Turner seemed familiar! A few years ago I signed up to receive ACE magazine and he usually was in them or wrote articles!

WDW Monorail

Trip Report

OK, TR time...

My dad and I left our house at 7:15 in order to take the train to the ferry which took us into Manhattan. Another train ride took us a couple of blocks away from the venue.
We arrived at 9:00 just in time to see Lucky pose for his publicity shots and film. Since we did not have tickets, we waited for 30 minutes or so for the box office to open. We were first in line so there was no problem :).

IMG_1216.jpg

Lucky got is few minutes of fame when a video was shown of he and Scott Trowbridge searching for the theater. A few minutes later, Scott (an imagineer) entered the stage - panting -.

IMG_1220.jpg

The first demonstration was a roller coaster one with Rick Turner. Max from the audience was called up to the stage and was situated in a gyroscope looking mechanism.

IMG_1223.jpg

Rick manually turned and twisted the mechanism to a video of Cali Screamin' at DCA.

IMG_1224.jpg

Max was given his very own 'barf bag' as a keepsake. :hurl:

Then came Asa Kalama as part of the Special Effects demonstration. He brought out a dryer exhaust aluminum tube and began spraying the audience with dense fog. In the meantime, Scott sprayed the audience with his MasterBlaster3000!!!...a tiny water gun. The stage crew then brought out another mechanism which ejected puffs of compressed air a couple hundred feet out into the audience.

IMG_1230.jpg

Next came Ben Schwegler, a Chemical Engineer :sohappy:, who works in the fireworks division of WDI. He deals with "fate and transport" which means that he is concerned with what happens after the launch. What he does is he designs the shells. Once the shells burst, chemical reactions occur which create pretty colors, shapes, and booms.

He did a demonstration in which an alcohol was mixed with Strontium, Copper and Barium and then ignited to produce red flames, blue flames and green flames. Of course many more chemicals are used such as Aluminum, Titanium Oxide and Lithium Carbonate.

IMG_1241.jpg

WDW Monorail

Amber Samdahl was next of the Computer Science division. She works with Artificial Intelligence. A small rectangular stage was brought out containing 14 cameras which record movement. Two audience member were called up and were told to dance around the stage. The screens on either side of the theater showed a Pirate and various other computer simulations which duplicated the volunt'ear's' every move.

IMG_1244.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

Last was Anne Savage, a biologist from the Animal Kingdom. She explained what she and her colleagues at the AK do to keep species from becoming endangered. As part of the Wildlife Conservation program, she tracks wild animals using GPS transmitters attached to the animal. This includes Sea Turtles.
As a demonstration, a family of four was called to the stage and was put in to an 8ft elephant tracking device. The device normally fits around the neck of an elephant recording it's movements and sounds.

IMG_1249.jpg

Last but not least, Crush had a Q and A segment which was cute.

IMG_1254.jpg

The presentation was very informative.

All of the imagineers were in the lobby of the theater answering questions. I was able to speak with Ben for a few minutes. We talked about different classes and just ChemE in general since that is what I will be studying in the Fall.
The is a terrible picture of us talking. We both posed nicely for a picture but said photo was no where to be found after I had uploaded the pictures. Thanks Dad!

IMG_1255.jpg

Donfan

Any chance Lucky will still be in New York later in June? I will be there from 21 to 27 June and would love to see him.

bradk

not really likely. this was a one day thing. as i said, he has been living in glendale at WDI and i would expect he'll be returning. if you ever go on the adventures by disney backstage magic tour, you'll be likely to see him (otherwise there's plenty going on at WDI that gives him a run for his money).

i do have to say that the time with him at WDI was a bit rushed (they did do photo-ops and I got to pet him) and that seeing him here with only the rain limiting the time, I got to appreciate him more. you can almost literally understand him when he talks, he has such a range of vocalizations and he is very responsive to the environment

SewIn2Disney

I was the fellow wdwmagicer that got to ride the roller coaster simulator! I'm sitting in penn station to head home now, but I'll have pics up later! Do you have any pics of me in the simulator by any chance? We just got video....which I'll upload as well. After the show I went to have the Imagineers sign my "Imagineering Way" books, and the recognized me as "the girl they flipped around on stage". All in all the show was a blast, and ill write up my full report later.

HinunterZuNich

I was the fellow wdwmagicer that got to ride the roller coaster simulator! I'm sitting in penn station to head home now, but I'll have pics up later! Do you have any pics of me in the simulator by any chance? We just got video....which I'll upload as well. After the show I went to have the Imagineers sign my "Imagineering Way" books, and the recognized me as "the girl they flipped around on stage". All in all the show was a blast, and ill write up my full report later.

Hey,

Yes I did get about four pictures of you! The minute I saw your shirt I told myself that must be the person who had replied to my post about if we were going to be too old for the event LOL. I saw you at the end walking with your Imagineering book, should have said something but I had enough issues approaching the Imagineers themselves....I had on a lighter blue shirt with white stripes across, I was having my picture taken with Ric Turner when I saw you....Anyway looking forward to seeing the videos you guys took.

Such a good time, wish I had known farther in advance I was going so that I could have prepared some questions to ask them.

Mike

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom