Lucky The Dinosaur in New York

napnet

Original Poster
Looks like Lucky is alive and kickin in New York!

http://tinyurl.com/6gdttr

Lucky the Dinosaur will be visiting Washington Square in New York City this weekend during the first-ever World Science Festival at New York University on May 31. He will be on display as part of the ‘Science of Disney Imagineering’ where Disney Imagineers will give guests a view into how Disney uses science.

Rob562

Hmmm... For a World Science Festival, I would have thought that Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker in the Muppet Mobile Lab would be more appropraite... ;)

-Rob

Captain Hank

Hmmm... For a World Science Festival, I would have thought that Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker in the Muppet Mobile Lab would be more appropraite... ;)

-Rob
Actually, the puppet version of Dr. Honeydew made the official announcement of the World Science Festival at a press conference. :)

Unfortunately, the MML versions of Honeydew and Beaker are currently on vacation in Hong Kong.

SewIn2Disney

Thanks. What exactly is on his head? I would love to see him.
That's his rain hat. The only pictures I have of him are in a rain hat too----but I think it's cute!

Since I live in Jersey, and could possibly have the opportunity to see this, I did some research. This festival is over this upcoming weekend, and there are many different events each day that you can buy tickets to. The Disney Imagineering event is only on Saturday, and tickets are $12.
Here's what the website says:

Science of Disney Imagineering
10:00 AM - 11:00 AM , NYU - Skirball Center
G-Force simulators , elephants with GPS, turning audience members into video game controllers, sounds coming out of your head, and things that go "boom" — its all part of the science behind the "make believe" at Walt Disney Imagineering. No one leaves empty-handed with all the fun giveaways! Did we mention walking dinosaurs, talking turtles, and more surprise guests? Please note this program will also run at 12:30 PM and at 3 PM

How can one person hear a sound that the person right next to them can't? Why are we tracking elephants and what are they saying to each other? What happens when you freeze air? Are you up to the challenge of our Roller Coaster simulation?

This is your chance to find out all the answers, plus interact with Lucky the Dinosaur, ask Finding Nemo's Crush questions, and of course, meet the Imagineers, the scientists and engineers of Walt Disney Imagineering. Get a glimpse of "make-believe" Disney style as the scientists pull back the curtain to reveal some of the chemistry, physics, biology and technology behind special effects, roller coasters, computer simulation, and animatronics!

Please note this program will also run at 12:30 PM and at 3:00 PM.

Sounds awesome! I hope I can go!
Here's the website:
http://www.worldsciencefestival.com/2008-festival/events/all-events-by-date

MissM

Has anyone here ever seen him in person? I am curious to hear opinions from anyone who has.
I did. I broke my cardinal rule and went to AK in July to see him before he left. (I'm a FL resident. I don't do outdoor activities let alone the hottest WDW park in the middle of summer.)

He was really cool. Moved well, and his handler did really great interaction with him. I've got photos and video on my hard drive but I never got around to uploading them.

I was impressed by Lucky and glad to have seen him, though I think he needs to be around more so more people can see him. I realize he was a test but I thought it was pretty darn neat and added real interest to the park. And the kids were fascinated.
-m

SewIn2Disney

Ok! I and my boyfriend officially have tickets to go see the Science of Disney Imagineering on Saturday!
I'll have a full report this weekend! I'll let you all know how it was.

Unplugged

We saw Lucky about mid-way through his WDW stay at AK. He was amazing! To watch him interact with the "handler" CM and the audience as well made him very believable. When he walks, there is a very low bass "boom" with each foot step....just loud enough so you get the feel of weight. (After all, he's not a T-Rex and thus won't shake your drink.)

After witnessing Lucky's performance, it really makes me wonder what is the key reason they don't commit to at least one technology like him (or the Muppet Mobile Lab) somewhere in WDW? I'm sure maintenance costs are high, but I can say from a "walk through the park experience", he's an E-ticket in my book. After all, the effects at AK's Everest are down all the time, so it becomes a well themed coaster but nothing really amazing. Watching Lucky casually make the rounds with guests being able to touch him (under supervision) makes you forget about the technology. It's like watching Mickey and crew on stage at MK when their eyes blink and mouths move. It just seems like that's natural as opposed to "wow, look at that technology".

He's a must see IMHO. :wave:

starwood

:ROFLOL:Don't worry, I'll definetly be asking those questions:ROFLOL:

Does anyone know if there is going to be a no videotaping rule? I'm almost 100% sure yes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom