Lord of the Rings and more coming to DHS?

Bairstow

Again, I absolutely don't believe this. But, if this were true, I would think that Middle Earth would make a solid IP to add to an "adventure" themed third gate in Anaheim which otherwise features Marvel as an anchor. I could buy this rumor a lot more if it was being brought in to add stuff for Disneyland.

Thinking about it.... Marvel, Middle Earth, possibly Star Wars (different stuff than would be put into DL park) maybe even Avatar, plus some non IP like Mysterious Island.... that sounds like a pretty cool third gate and distinct from the other offerings.

Agreed. Disney is already up to their eyeballs in properties they haven't utilized yet.

Bairstow

I agree that there is probably nothing to this but I can also see Disney acquiring additional IP not necessarily to devlope but to prevent others from doing so.
With a property like Lord of the Rings, this would be extremely expensive.
These sorts of licensing agreements almost always are founded on mutual good faith that the licensed IP will be utilized to both parties' benefit and contain substantial penalties for licensees that breech this covenant. IE, if the Tolkien Estate is going to be missing out on their cut of all the Hobbit merch that Disney wouldn't be selling, they better be compensated for the lost opportunity.

doctornick

These sorts of licensing agreements almost always are founded on mutual good faith that the licensed IP will be utilized to both parties' benefit and contain substantial penalties for licensees that breech this covenant. IE, if the Tolkien Estate is going to be missing out on their cut of all the Hobbit merch that Disney wouldn't be selling, they better be compensated for the lost opportunity.

Exactly. Disney can't just acquire the rights and then bury them. The contracts alost certainly would not allow for that. But it is plausible to me that the contract would indicate that Middle Earth would be mostly used in a third gate in Anaheim. The fit in WDW would be interesting as it would need a new land in DHS (in the LMA/Backlot Tour/SOA area instead of Pixar?) or would be kind of shoehorned into DAK (it's sort of Beastly Kingdomme esque).

Ignohippo

I HATE this idea.

Not only does LOTR not have the iconic imagery like a Hogwarts Castle, etc. (and don't give me that Two Towers crap) but Disney already has a multitude of properties it isn't utilizing nearly enough.

Utilizing Pixar and Star Wars to their true potentials would be bigger draws than Lord Of The Rings any day. If they decide to build LOTR stuff at WDW, while value-engineering SW, I'll never visit WDW again.

This is another Avatar, clutching at straws, move.

rioriz

I HATE this idea.

Not only does LOTR not have the iconic imagery like a Hogwarts Castle, etc. (and don't give me that Two Towers crap) but Disney already has a multitude of properties it isn't utilizing nearly enough.

Utilizing Pixar and Star Wars to their true potentials would be bigger draws than Lord Of The Rings any day. If they decide to build LOTR stuff at WDW, while value-engineering SW, I'll never visit WDW again.

Gotta disagree with ya...Visually LOTR would be a knock out...and you think seeing this in the is not iconic
eye-of-sauron-lord-of-the-rings-i2.jpeg

or these as you enter Aman

Lord_Of_the_Rings_wallpaper_by_JohnnySlowhand.jpg

People get excited when it is brought up that Uni may replace Toon Lagoon with this IP but when Disney does the same thing it is now a bad idea? I know Disney's track rate on actual rides lately but visually they still are the best!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ignohippo

I agree that there is probably nothing to this but I can also see Disney acquiring additional IP not necessarily to devlope but to prevent others from doing so.

Who would care? Who would develop LOTR for a theme park? Universal? Fine, let them. It would be very expensive and IMO would be many of the same type experiences already found with Potter,

LOTR isn't nearly the draw some fanbois would like to believe it is. It would be way down on my (very subjective) list of properties:

1. Star Wars
2. Pixar
3. Harry Potter
4. Marvel
5. DC
6. Dreamworks
7. Jurassic Park
8. LOTR
9. Seuss
10. Star Tek
11. Sesame Street
12. Oz
13. Avatar

While I love LOTR, in the end it's really just a bunch of Hobbits running around the mountains. I don't see theme park environments here (without them being exceptionally expensive – and for the draw, I don't think it's worth it).

Last edited:

Ignohippo

Gotta disagree with ya...Visually LOTR would be a knock out...and you think seeing this in the is not iconic
eye-of-sauron-lord-of-the-rings-i2.jpeg

or these as you enter Aman

Lord_Of_the_Rings_wallpaper_by_JohnnySlowhand.jpg

People are literally creaming when it is brought up that Uni may replace Toon Lagoon with this IP but when Disney does the same thing it is now a bad idea? I know Disney's track rate on actual rides lately but visually they still are the best!

Completely cost-prohibitive though. It isn't worth it. And I would also argue that those are more "wheenies" without much substance (unlike Hogwarts which is the setting of the story and almost like a character itself).

As for Disney v Uni:
The difference is, UNI has done a fantastic job and MAXED OUT their properties (besides maybe JP which will more than likely be rectified soon).

On the other hand, Disney hasn't even scratched the surface with Pixar and haven't shown, as of yet, that they're going to do Star Wars any justice either.

It would be a complete slap in the face if they were to announce LOTR coming to WDW while these other Disney properties languish without much presence.

It's a joke.

bhg469

I HATE this idea.

I'm not even a lotr fan and I would be downright giddy to walk through helms deep.

rioriz

While I agree Disney has other IP's to draw from, I see nothing other than Cars that can bring a dramatic increase in attendance other than LOTR....IMHO I can remember so many other environments in the Hobbit world that stand out more than The Shire...but if the people that built mountain ranges in DCA take on this project I am of belief they can build rolling hills in DHS

Funmeister

Don;t you think though DIsney has too many irons in the fire as it is to give LOTR a decent showing? Seriously...Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Avatar, Marvel....can't wait to see all of those IP materialize.

Funmeister

Who would care? Who would develop LOTR for a theme park? Universal? Fine, let them. It would be very expensive and IMO would be many of the same type experiences already found with Potter,

LOTR isn't nearly the draw some fanbois would like to believe it is. It would be way down on my (very subjective) list of properties:

1. Star Wars
2. Pixar
3. Harry Potter
4. Marvel
5. DC
6. Dreamworks
7. Jurassic Park
8. LOTR
9. Seuss
10. Sesame Street
11. Oz
12. Avatar

While I love LOTR, in the end it's really just a bunch of Hobbits running around the mountains. I don't see theme park environments here (without them being exceptionally expensive – and for the draw, I don't think it's worth it).

But at the end of the day you did say it is "my" list and your list does not represent the views of the general public. I hate to tell you but Star Wars is not nearly strong of a brand as it once was and you mena to tell me Star Trek has no place on "your" list? Wow.

BTW...putting Dreamworks on your list is like saying Disney or Universal. Pretty unfair comparison to any single IP.

Funmeister

Completely cost-prohibitive though. It isn't worth it. And I would also argue that those are more "wheenies" without much substance (unlike Hogwarts which is the setting of the story and almost like a character itself).

As for Disney v Uni:
The difference is, UNI has done a fantastic job and MAXED OUT their properties (besides maybe JP which will more than likely be rectified soon).

On the other hand, Disney hasn't even scratched the surface with Pixar and haven't shown, as of yet, that they're going to do Star Wars any justice either.

It would be a complete slap in the face if they were to announce LOTR coming to WDW while these other Disney properties languish without much presence.

It's a joke.

You are correct. Universal has (almost) maxed out what they have at this very moment that I type this...but tomorrow or next week or next month could very well be a different story.

Ignohippo

But at the end of the day you did say it is "my" list and your list does not represent the views of the general public. I hate to tell you but Star Wars is not nearly strong of a brand as it once was and you mena to tell me Star Trek has no place on "your" list? Wow.

BTW...putting Dreamworks on your list is like saying Disney or Universal. Pretty unfair comparison to any single IP.

HA! By Dreamworks, I mean Dreamworks Animation. I should have been clearer. And no, It's absolutely nothing close to Disney or Universal.

I completely disagree about SW. It may be at a lull, but it's still the hottest property out there right now when you are talking about possible theme park implications.

Yeah, I'm a HUGE Start Trek fan and will add that to the list. The list is far from all-encompassing however. Just an example of where I think LOTR would fall. And yes, it's completely subjective.

Ignohippo

Don;t you think though DIsney has too many irons in the fire as it is to give LOTR a decent showing? Seriously...Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Avatar, Marvel....can't wait to see all of those IP materialize.

Perfectly said. They aren't even doing any of those properties justice as it is and a LOTR addition would certainly mean something else would suffer.

And I would argue that "something else" is a better property anyway.

Ignohippo

While I agree Disney has other IP's to draw from, I see nothing other than Cars that can bring a dramatic increase in attendance other than LOTR....IMHO I can remember so many other environments in the Hobbit world that stand out more than The Shire...but if the people that built mountain ranges in DCA take on this project I am of belief they can build rolling hills in DHS

Seriously!? You have to think of Pixar as all of the movies together.

A Monstropolis addition (complete with Door Coaster) would be huge; an Incredibles ride would be huge; even a Toy Story playground/addition like at HKDL would be big. Not to mention Pizza Planet and Al's Toy Barn. Then you also have Cars, Bug's Life, Wall-E, etc. that are very under-utilized at WDW as well. Combine everything and there's no other property that compete.

When you're talking family dollars (which is what Disney wants) there's nothing bigger than Pixar.

misterID

Am I the only one that thinks a Smaug themed coaster inside the lonely mountain, with a fire-breathing dragon AA though a treasure chamber would be all kinds of awesome?

A boat ride through Middle Earth wouldn't be incredible? Much more than "hobbits running around mountains."

Last edited:

misterID

Seriously!? You have to think of Pixar as all of the movies together.

A Monstropolis addition (complete with Door Coaster) would be huge; an Incredibles ride would be huge; even a Toy Story playground/addition like at HKDL would be big. Not to mention Pizza Planet and Al's Toy Barn. Then you also have Cars, Bug's Life, Wall-E, etc. that are very under-utilized at WDW as well. Combine everything and there's no other property that compete.

When you're talking family dollars (which is what Disney wants) there's nothing bigger than Pixar.

I agree to an extent, but it comes with a big *

Any Pixarland for any park, Asia or otherwise, doesn't mean anything without Carsland. Monsters INC coaster and definitely the Toy Story Playground, won't cut it on their own and would not make any waves compared to a Middle-Earth land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom