Looking like a canceled trip for us :(

Dizneykid

I want to start by saying that safety is always most important and I pray that this hurricane miraculously turns away from us.

I'm from the northern United States and we had planned to drive down on Saturday afternoon. This would pass us through the Carolinas on Sunday. I have no idea what the forecast will be but it's looking like a prolonged flooding event through the weekend and beyond.

Our only options left would be to take a crazy detour into Tennessee or delay our trip by several days. I don't know if that will be an option either if it doesn't let up by then.

I'm just sad but this was precisely why we got the insurance. It feels strange to cancel a trip because of a hurricane that isn't affecting where we currently are or where we will end up. I'm being told that all of NC will be a mess through the weekend. I feel terrible about anyone dealing with it directly. I should be grateful for not being impacted by it. I just had to grieve somewhere. Bless.

Lensman

OP, please check in to let us know you're ok. Hope your trip was uneventful and you found a good place to stay for the extra night.

So I am leaving next Saturday. Is there another storm coming in?
Looks like things are clear for a week or two, but the best thing to do is to check the National Weather Service or National Hurricane Center websites for updates.
Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 1.21.14 PM.png

Upvote 0

EpcotCenter82

Portions of interstate 95 are closed today in North Carolina and South Carolina.

I-95 is closed from exit 13 at Hwy. 74 to exit 22 at Fayetteville Rd. . The interstate is closed in both directions and North Carolina state officials say the closure is expected through Sept. 26.

I-95 north and southbound in Dillon County in South Carolina is also closed.

Upvote 0

Club34

Cancelled trips are a bummer. I had 2 in 2 years in a row a few years back. First, 3 days before I supposed to leave a pipe burst in my building, wiping out my entire place. The next year, I came down with a kidney stone. I really thought I was cursed. I have since made a successful trip. Just have to be vigilant. Keep hitting the reset button. Hope everything works out and for a speedy recovery to those affected by the hurricane.

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

I know the coast and some places in NC got a lot of rain, but it didn’t start until last night on the 1-26 side of NC. It has been a steady rain, but sunshine is is peeking out now. No flooding. Hope you guys didn’t have to cancel and had a safe trip.

Upvote 0

LeighM

Thank you, we lucked out, apparently. Only a steady rain, just like some of our summer days this year. Cool, rainy but no wind or downpours. Hope the OP made it okay.

I definitely feel like we dodged a big bullet in my part of Virginia!! But the storm is causing flooding and tornadoes in the mountains and piedmont region of Virginia today.

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

I definitely feel like we dodged a big bullet in my part of Virginia!! But the storm is causing flooding and tornadoes in the mountains and piedmont region of Virginia today.
The sunshine came out today here. I think it is over for us. Glad you guys didn’t it too bad. Wilmington and some places look terrible.

Upvote 0

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Now folks.... Hurricane pretty much gone, but if DRIVING? PLEASE look at your routes? For the time being, think of a total FLOOD AREA through NC ,SC, and Northern GA. Rivers are doing a MAJOR job on Highways. This could impact you if attempting to drive from Northern East Coast Locations :(. This might be a better time to FLY, than to attempt to drive :(.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Upvote 0

KBLovedDisney

Now folks.... Hurricane pretty much gone, but if DRIVING? PLEASE look at your routes? For the time being, think of a total FLOOD AREA through NC ,SC, and Northern GA. Rivers are doing a MAJOR job on Highways. This could impact you if attempting to drive from Northern East Coast Locations :(. This might be a better time to FLY, than to attempt to drive :(.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.
Just adding my two cents, but also evacuees trying to come back (if they are able at this time) might back up traffic along with rescue squads and what not

Upvote 0

yensid67

Last I heard was I-95 was CLOSED in certain spots in both directions in NC until the end of the month! So most likely you could take 95 as far south as you can get then be detoured off on other roads around the flooded areas! This is where a good old fashion McNally's map comes in handy!(do they even make them anymore!?)

Upvote 0

TiggerDad

Last I heard was I-95 was CLOSED in certain spots in both directions in NC until the end of the month! So most likely you could take 95 as far south as you can get then be detoured off on other roads around the flooded areas! This is where a good old fashion McNally's map comes in handy!(do they even make them anymore!?)
Yes, Rand McNally still does maps, and they also have some fancy electronic gadgets that serve a similar purpose. Google Maps and Waze also provide real-time info on routes.

Upvote 0

LeighM

Yes, Rand McNally still does maps, and they also have some fancy electronic gadgets that serve a similar purpose. Google Maps and Waze also provide real-time info on routes.
I would prefer A McNally map over anything techy...not savvy here, so best choice for me! I am old school :)

I always pickup a map in every visitors center when we enter a new state. I once depended on my phone during a detour in NC and we didn't get very good service where we were. So now I always make sure to have a map in hand just in case.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom