Looking like a canceled trip for us :(

Dizneykid

I want to start by saying that safety is always most important and I pray that this hurricane miraculously turns away from us.

I'm from the northern United States and we had planned to drive down on Saturday afternoon. This would pass us through the Carolinas on Sunday. I have no idea what the forecast will be but it's looking like a prolonged flooding event through the weekend and beyond.

Our only options left would be to take a crazy detour into Tennessee or delay our trip by several days. I don't know if that will be an option either if it doesn't let up by then.

I'm just sad but this was precisely why we got the insurance. It feels strange to cancel a trip because of a hurricane that isn't affecting where we currently are or where we will end up. I'm being told that all of NC will be a mess through the weekend. I feel terrible about anyone dealing with it directly. I should be grateful for not being impacted by it. I just had to grieve somewhere. Bless.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Reconsider, using I-81 to I-77, to I-26, to I-95. They're predicting a quick drop in strength to a tropical depression once it makes landfall on Saturday... the majority of the tidal surge and rains are usually in the NE quadrant, which in this case would likely be northeast North Carolina coast and coastal Virginia. It'll add 2 plus hours not including traffic.

If you wanted to be even safer, you could take I-81 to 40 to 75 and then south.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dizneykid

Original Poster
Reconsider, using I-81 to I-77, to I-26, to I-95. They're predicting a quick drop in strength to a tropical depression on Saturday...

Thank you. I know I have to stay tuned before assuming anything but would it be better to travel on friday/Saturday versus Sunday? I keep hearing that there could be extended flooding and rainfall in the inland areas. How far inland is unclear.

Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Thank you. I know I have to stay tuned before assuming anything but would it be better to travel on friday/Saturday versus Sunday? I keep hearing that there could be extended flooding and rainfall in the inland areas. How far inland is unclear.
Friday/Saturday would put you in the heaviest rain/wind zone. I think your plan to leave Saturday will find most of the heavy weather already fizzled out by the time you'd get to SC (Saturday night).

Now if you decided to bite the bullet and go all the way over to I-75, yeah, that earlier departure could work. But only you know if you want to take the additional time (my guess, about 6 hours) that would add to your drive.

But as you say, watch the storm like a hawk... it could change direction without warning.

UPDATE: They just did the 5 pm update, and it looks like they're expecting the storm to hold on to a bit more of its strength as it moves inland. You should take that into account as you consider your route...

Upvote 0

wplong1

Premium Member
If you wanted to be even safer, you could take I-81 to 40 to 75 and then south.

No way would I cancel. Fly over if you can, or I like this option for driving around. This route should be fine regardless, but surely by Sunday. If you can leave early even better as it will take the edge off the extra mileage. I would take into consideration that hotels inland are often swamped by evacuees . I-95 is tough under normal conditions anyway and I would worry more about trees down and avoiding residents and emergency and repair vehicles than flooding. I think you will likely run into wind and rain with a drive around but should be fine (and might be in the clear completely). The harshest conditions tend to be relatively closely confined to the center and the Northeast quadrant as already mentioned. Land sucks the energy out of these storms relatively quickly.

Upvote 0

Dizneykid

Original Poster
The I-26 part of NC is not going to see major flooding. I am from NC and have never seen flooding on 26, even when we got pounded by Ivan and Frances in 2004. Backroads and side roads maybe but not the interstate.

Thank you. I was so hoping for an alternative route within NC borders. I'm not experienced with this type of weather event and had no idea that they could stall out for days like that. I was in denial for a long time because early predictions had it going out to sea. I'm so nervous for residents there. It sounds like it will be bad but nobody is saying much for sure.

Upvote 0

Clamman73

This is the european model for 700am on Saturday. (if i got my zulu time right)
Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 6.08.28 PM.png
time right)

Upvote 0

HwdStudio

I want to start by saying that safety is always most important and I pray that this hurricane miraculously turns away from us.

I'm from the northern United States and we had planned to drive down on Saturday afternoon. This would pass us through the Carolinas on Sunday. I have no idea what the forecast will be but it's looking like a prolonged flooding event through the weekend and beyond.

Our only options left would be to take a crazy detour into Tennessee or delay our trip by several days. I don't know if that will be an option either if it doesn't let up by then.

I'm just sad but this was precisely why we got the insurance. It feels strange to cancel a trip because of a hurricane that isn't affecting where we currently are or where we will end up. I'm being told that all of NC will be a mess through the weekend. I feel terrible about anyone dealing with it directly. I should be grateful for not being impacted by it. I just had to grieve somewhere. Bless.
Is flying not an option? Just curious.

Upvote 0

DisneyFreak

Having lived through Irma last year in Ft. Myers, FL exactly one year ago today I will say this....make sure you are prepared FOR ANYTHING! No one can accurately predict what is going to happen to any given area. Sometimes it's for the worst, sometimes it's for the best. For example, for Irma they were predicting 12-14ft storm surges all the way into flood zone two and we ended up with nothing. Just random flooding from all the rain, no surge. So please make sure if you are going to go, make sure you have a safe plan and have extra food and supplies. There could be wide ranges of areas without power, grocery stores will be extremely low or our of necessary items and a lot of hotels will be filled with people getting away from the coast.

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

Thank you. I was so hoping for an alternative route within NC borders. I'm not experienced with this type of weather event and had no idea that they could stall out for days like that. I was in denial for a long time because early predictions had it going out to sea. I'm so nervous for residents there. It sounds like it will be bad but nobody is saying much for sure.
Our area will probably get a lot of rain, but 26 should be just fine. I have lived here my whole life and never seen it flooded. In 2004 we got 20 inches twice within weeks. It was horrible on side roads near streams and rivers but not a problem at all on either 40 or 26. Hope you do not have to cancel and have a wonderful trip. (Be safe on the way down, rain or no rain. :)

Upvote 0

Skibum1970

I cancelled last year due to Irma arriving at the same time I was supposed to arrive. Never gave it a second thought because my sister was riding it out in Naples, FL where she lives. I get the grieving but
a) use the alternate route through TN and down I-75 (just allow some more time)
b) Fly down there as @CaptainAmerica showed, or
c) Pocket the money and either due some shopping therapy or save for a trip later on.

Yes, it kind of stinks but WDW isn't going anywhere that we are aware of. Last year, we did some retail therapy and it was enjoyable.

Upvote 0

hanwill

if you make it to Atlanta, you're about 7-8 hours from Orlando.... I would suggest staying north of town, because there is not a lot south of town for a while.... Have a safe trip if you make it- but I would highly suggest avoiding the entire states of North and South Carolina. They are lovely states, but you don't want to be driving through that if you can help it. Plus the residents may have evacuated, and there may be no gas stations open, or they may be out of gas.... Go through Atlanta.

Upvote 0

yensid67

DisneyKid...DO NOT CANCEL! I know how it feel to cancel...its not a good feeling! I had to cancel 2017 trip times! Leave earlier an take the 81 route!

Upvote 0

Dizneykid

Original Poster
DisneyKid...DO NOT CANCEL! I know how it feel to cancel...its not a good feeling! I had to cancel 2017 trip times! Leave earlier an take the 81 route!

I know, I don't want to cancel at all. It's making me very sad. We are considering the 81 route but it's adding a whole new layer of stress. We haven't finished up any packing/planning because the track of this thing seems to still be in question. I was warned not to plan a disney vacation at this time of year. I'm definitely learning the lesson. Potentially lower crowds was the reason we chose this time. I've heard it's still very busy this week. Next time, we're going in May. We've encountered so many separate issues with the trip that it feels like a bad sign. My son doesn't even seem all that bothered if we don't go lol.

Then I just feel guilty for stressing about my vacation when people are facing such a scary situation.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I know, I don't want to cancel at all. It's making me very sad. We are considering the 81 route but it's adding a whole new layer of stress. We haven't finished up any packing/planning because the track of this thing seems to still be in question. I was warned not to plan a disney vacation at this time of year. I'm definitely learning the lesson. Potentially lower crowds was the reason we chose this time. I've heard it's still very busy this week. Next time, we're going in May. We've encountered so many separate issues with the trip that it feels like a bad sign. My son doesn't even seem all that bothered if we don't go lol.

Then I just feel guilty for stressing about my vacation when people are facing such a scary situation.
Sounds like you're facing this logically, and I congratulate you for that. Ask yourself if it's worth the stress, and I think you'll find your answer.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom