Looking for thoughts on DVC

lebeau

Original Poster
I've been struggling with the idea of joining the Disney Vacation Club. From a purely emotional level, it's something I would like to do. But from a practical/financial level, it just doesn't seem to add up. I was wondering if anyone could provide their thoughts on the DVC. Anyone have any experience with it positive or negative? Has anyone else poured over the details and reached a decision one way or another?

DisneyPhD

If you do a search you will find a lot on DVC on magic. Many of us on spilt on it.

Us DVC members love it. Best thing I ever did (ok besides marrying my hubby having kids and going to college, but after that yes!)

Some non DVC members don't see the value in it. Often (but not always) they don't really understand it.

If you read some threads and have more questions ask away. I have posted MANY times how much I love it and (I don't the the engery to re-post it all)

But if you have any questions, go head and ask. :)

Mary (AKA Mrs. PhD)

lebeau

Original Poster
DisneyPhD said:
If you do a search you will find a lot on DVC on magic. Many of us on spilt on it.

Us DVC members love it. Best thing I ever did (ok besides marrying my hubby having kids and going to college, but after that yes!)

Some non DVC members don't see the value in it. Often (but not always) they don't really understand it.

If you read some threads and have more questions ask away. I have posted MANY times how much I love it and (I don't the the engery to re-post it all)

Mary (AKA Mrs. PhD)

Hey Mary,

Thanks for the helpful post. I did follow the link the previous poster provided and found that discussion very helpful. (Anyone else in a similar quandry would do well to read that thread).

I'm sure I would get a lot of enjoyment out of DVC just as you do. Emotionally, I really want to make that commitment. But financially, it just doesn't make sense for my family at this time (maybe someday). I just don't see us being able to make regular enough trips in the foreseeable future to make it worth while.

We just had our first baby girl and I can't wait to take her to WDW. But it will probably be a few years before I do. And then once she's in school I just can't foresee going more than once every 3-5 years depending on how other children are spaced and how the school thing works out. I'm reluctant to face full on peak season crowds and reluctant to take a child out of school. Sigh.

dvcnut39

DisneyPhD said:

Mary (AKA Mrs. PhD)

Just about sums up my thoughts. DisneyPhD is one of the boards DVC experts. I like that she is always positive about DVC. I am as well. My family and I love the DVC. We knew what we were getting ourselves into when we bought into it and we have no regrets. Since our initial purchase, we added on once and plan to add on one more time in DEC06. As I stated, we have no regrets.

As DisneyPhD stated, do a search on DVC and read everything, good and bad, about it.

Woody13

As you will see from post #2 (TAC), the DVC is designed for people that don't know how to figure costs vs. benefit. In short, DVC members are paying a very high premium for their memberships. As a direct result, it benefits the resale market and the rental market. You (or I) can rent DVC points for far less money than the poor buyer had to pay.

Consider a DVC purchase to be about the same as buying a new car. When you drive it off the lot, you've lost money. But with the DVC you don't really own anything.

Also, be aware, DVC members get a cash reward for signing up new members. The more new members they sign up, the more money they get. All DVC members are sales people!

dvcnut39

Woody13 said:
Also, be aware, DVC members get a cash reward for signing up new members. The more new members they sign up, the more money they get. All DVC members are sales people!

Nice try at being witty, but we live in PA and according to PA law, it is illegal for Disney to reward us for a referral. The only thing that Disney is permitted to do for us is to write us a nice letter. No money, no free meals, nothing but a letter. The only reason that we refer people to the DVC is because we feel that it is truly a fine product. Nothing more, nothing less. Anyone looking to buy into the DVC should do a lot of research. We did and we found that although it wasn't a "traditional" timeshare, and although we would lose our interest after the forty year contract expires, it was the best thing for us. While we lose our interest after forty years, we gained forty years of flexibility, huge discounts off "home away from home" accommodations, discounts off meals, merchandise, behind the scene tours, AP tickets, etc.

For anyone thinking of buying into the DVC, do your own homework, and do what's best for you.

DisneyPhD

Woody13 said:
As you will see from post #2 (TAC), the DVC is designed for people that don't know how to figure costs vs. benefit. In short, DVC members are paying a very high premium for their memberships. As a direct result, it benefits the resale market and the rental market. You (or I) can rent DVC points for far less money than the poor buyer had to pay.

Consider a DVC purchase to be about the same as buying a new car. When you drive it off the lot, you've lost money. But with the DVC you don't really own anything.

I like you woody, I really do. :) But you don't know what you are talking about. Your math and mine are compeltly different. Now to be honest I am terrible at math (and spelling), but Mr PhD (the REAL) PhD is great at it. It adds up for us. All said and done, the cost of buying in plus dues it is 5$ a point, they rent for $10 a point. Not everyone plays the market and investments the same way you do. Also not everyone wants to spend a great deal of time finding the best codes and they aren't always avalible the times you want. You can get your home DVC resort 11 months in advance and other DVC 7 months in advance. Codes are out around 2 months before (not really sure since I don't follow it as close since I don't need to.)

DVC isn't for everyone. It is for us and many famlies (of all different sizes) :sohappy:

I may of never phsycially owned my DVC like a car or boat. But won't be using my car anymore in 35 years, but my DVC will still useful. Overall I get more enjoyment out of my time at WDW and DVC then I ever do out of our pontoon boat and my dues are much less then the money I dump into that dumb boat! :brick:

I have never gotten paid anything for referring someone to DVC.

Sometimes I think you are just jealous. :veryconfu

DisneyPhD

lebeau said:
Hey Mary,

Thanks for the helpful post. I did follow the link the previous poster provided and found that discussion very helpful. (Anyone else in a similar quandry would do well to read that thread).

I'm sure I would get a lot of enjoyment out of DVC just as you do. Emotionally, I really want to make that commitment. But financially, it just doesn't make sense for my family at this time (maybe someday). I just don't see us being able to make regular enough trips in the foreseeable future to make it worth while.

We just had our first baby girl and I can't wait to take her to WDW. But it will probably be a few years before I do. And then once she's in school I just can't foresee going more than once every 3-5 years depending on how other children are spaced and how the school thing works out. I'm reluctant to face full on peak season crowds and reluctant to take a child out of school. Sigh.

We took our DD to WDW when she was 9 months old. (We joined DVC right after that.) She is now 4 years old and has been 6 times (and once more to Vero Beach.) The problem now is she can ask to go back!!! :lol: We planed to go once a year and got enough points for that. However we started getting AP and wanted to go back more and more. We tend to do 3 trips in 12 months, take a year or so off and then start again. In addtion the off prop resorts are great (for the beach, much more relaxing vactions.)

So you might find yourself going more often since it really is such a great trip with young kids. (and DVC is better because of the rooms.) Our second baby went at 7 months and again at 9 months. Next time she will be back is Jan 2006, she will be 18 months old. That might be a bit harder! :animwink: :lol:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
We are waiting for our membership closing in August. In the short run, 5-7 years, its not a bargain. In the long run 7-50 years its an amazing bargain. For example, the price to stay at a value resort has almost doubled in the last 10 years. If you figure it doubling just twice in the next 50 years you are looking at almost $300 a night at a value resort. :eek: .

The DVC basically locks the amount you will spend for your lodging in. It really wont change over 50 years. You also get additional benies like discounted AP's, which lead into dining club, etc.

If you are looking purely short term, its not feasible. If you are looking long term, and are a Disney freak (i.e., two or more trips a year at a moderate or better resort) its a steal. Plus, you can sell points, depending on where you live, you get tax write offs cause its a real estate transaction, etc....

Woody13

DVC members that refer new customers to the DVC sales office are eligible for awards. The amount of the reward depends upon your number of successful referrals (the more referrals, the more reward). Once a new customer signs up to buy into the DVC, if they mention the DVC member that referred them, that DVC member will receive a form in the mail when the paperwork is final for the new member. The form shows the various awards for which you are eligible, including such things as additional DVC points and Disney Dollars. You send the form back into the DVC with your choice(s) and within about 2 weeks you'll receive your award via FedEx.

Residents of certain states (New Jersey, Pennsylvania, etc.) can not participate in this program due to state laws.

dvcnut39

Woody13 said:
DVC members that refer new customers to the DVC sales office are eligible for awards. The amount of the reward depends upon your number of successful referrals (the more referrals, the more reward). Once a new customer signs up to buy into the DVC, if they mention the DVC member that referred them, that DVC member will receive a form in the mail when the paperwork is final for the new member. The form shows the various awards for which you are eligible, including such things as additional DVC points and Disney Dollars. You send the form back into the DVC with your choice(s) and within about 2 weeks you'll receive your award via FedEx.

Residents of certain states (New Jersey, Pennsylvania, etc.) can not participate in this program due to state laws.

Again Woody, we (DisneyPhD, myself, and others) refer the DVC because it is a quality program, not to get any type of reward. As I stated earlier, I'm from PA and it is unlawful for us to receive anything from Disney. Therefore, we only refer because we believe in the program.

Woody13

dvcnut39 said:
Therefore, we only refer because we believe in the program.
The DVC is expensive, for what you get. That expense is compounded by the fact that most DVC members must take out a loan to purchase those initial 150 points. I don't know too many young couples that have that kind of change just laying around. Also, as all DVC members know, you never want to stay in a DVC resort on a Friday or Saturday night because it's just too expensive! Financially speaking, a young couple would be far better off investing that chunk of money rather than spending it on a DVC membership. They can obviously go to WDW for the same length of time (or more) and by staying in a moderate or value resort they save money compared to the typical DVC member.

DVC membership generally is not worth considering unless you have the upfront cost in the bank (in other words, you don't have to borrow the money) and you plan to vacation at Walt Disney World every year. When considering a DVC membership, it's a good idea to get out a calculator and add up the initial buy-in cost, the annual dues times the number of years your points will be active (be sure to account for annual dues increases), and any interest you would be paying. Divide by the number of years you'll get out of the membership to calculate your "true" annual cost. (Of course, that doesn't include the lost interest you would have earned on the money you paid up front for the membership!)

For many people, it just doesn't add up. If you put the same amount you would have "invested" in buying a DVC membership into a secure investment, and each year add the same amount of money you would have paid in DVC fees, you'll have more than enough to take a nice annual vacation at Disney (or elsewhere) -- plus that money remains liquid and available in case of emergency. However, for some people a DVC purchase is a way of committing to an annual Disney vacation, and that may outweigh any financial considerations. Only you can determine if DVC membership makes sense for your situation.

DisneyPhD

Woody13 said:
The DVC is expensive, for what you get. That expense is compounded by the fact that most DVC members must take out a loan to purchase those initial 150 points. I don't know too many young couples that have that kind of change just laying around. Also, as all DVC members know, you never want to stay in a DVC resort on a Friday or Saturday night because it's just too expensive! Financially speaking, a young couple would be far better off investing that chunk of money rather than spending it on a DVC membership. They can obviously go to WDW for the same length of time (or more) and by staying in a moderate or value resort they save money compared to the typical DVC member.

DVC membership generally is not worth considering unless you have the upfront cost in the bank (in other words, you don't have to borrow the money) and you plan to vacation at Walt Disney World every year. When considering a DVC membership, it's a good idea to get out a calculator and add up the initial buy-in cost, the annual dues times the number of years your points will be active (be sure to account for annual dues increases), and any interest you would be paying. Divide by the number of years you'll get out of the membership to calculate your "true" annual cost. (Of course, that doesn't include the lost interest you would have earned on the money you paid up front for the membership!)

For many people, it just doesn't add up. If you put the same amount you would have "invested" in buying a DVC membership into a secure investment, and each year add the same amount of money you would have paid in DVC fees, you'll have more than enough to take a nice annual vacation at Disney (or elsewhere) -- plus that money remains liquid and available in case of emergency. However, for some people a DVC purchase is a way of committing to an annual Disney vacation, and that may outweigh any financial considerations. Only you can determine if DVC membership makes sense for your situation.

That is what we did. We paid cash (on Visa to get points) for 170 points. (Yes we crazy kids had that much cash "laying around" ) :lookaroun We went to WDW every year and planned to continue. We don't like values, we like deluxes. It is a very good value for what you get. Home away from home resorts in WDW deluxe resorts. Plus the discounts on AP has made it possible for us to take 3 trips in 12 months and then take a year off (with DDE too.) Add it all up and divide, it cost us 5$ a point. (half of renting) I know said that before.

No we didn't use up all our savings to buy DVC. We would like more points but it isn't in the cards right now. And while the price of points will go down at some point, it just keeps going up for now. We should of joined earlier, but we couldn't justify it then (since we didn't have a house yet.) However if we had we would of saved a lot of money.

We get around at Fri Sat night thing, sometimes we can even stretch our points by not staying DVC on those nights (and DVC gets a 25% cash discount on DVC rooms also.)

I have never gotten any referral money, but I would love some. :animwink:

So if anyone decides to join DVC go ahead and pm me and I will give you my name so you can tell your DVC rep! (even you woody, I know you really secretly want to join :kiss: )

and DVCnut, thank you. :sohappy:

Woody13 said:

Woody man you really have a hang up on this one. But you are VERY wrong. DVC is better then buying a car/boat/truck. You cant compare dvc to those items. DVC make's memories more then any of the above. And again with Phd your math about the whole DVC program is very wrong. I think you are jealouse and really want to join. And really who are you kidding.....all dvc members are salesmen? come on like we are really going to give out all that infomation to somone on here so we can get a small kickback from disney give me a break. BTW just look how fast new dvc resorts sell out so not many people think the same twisted way you do about dvc.

At the age of 28 i have till the year 2042 to use my DVC contract its already paid for and i have already gotten my money back by going a 1 or 2 times a year. When im 65 and my contract runs out i hope i am already living in florida retired but then again that is way down the road from now and many many trips back to my familys favorite place in the world...

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
mikedvcmember said:
At the age of 28 i have till the year 2042 to use my DVC contract its already paid for and i have already gotten my money back by going a 1 or 2 times a year. When im 65 and my contract runs out i hope i am already living in florida retired but then again that is way down the road from now and many many trips back to my familys favorite place in the world...

Also, I dont think Woody factored in the rising cost of lodging. Consider what the cost of one night will be at a value resort in 5-10 years......probably will be double.

DisneyPhD

While I have never understood woody's way of thinking, I have to thank him for making these conversations interesting. With out him it would be very one sided. :lol:

Debbie

lebeau said:
I've been struggling with the idea of joining the Disney Vacation Club. From a purely emotional level, it's something I would like to do. But from a practical/financial level, it just doesn't seem to add up. I was wondering if anyone could provide their thoughts on the DVC. Anyone have any experience with it positive or negative? Has anyone else poured over the details and reached a decision one way or another?

As you can see; this is highly debated subject. I can attest from these boards that those who belong truly feel they made the right decision, and I really respect that. I know myself that I would have lost my DVC membership six years ago with both my husband and myself being laid off (we'd had to sell so as not to have the added pressure of yearly fees), and I can't say if we would have rented out our points to cover the fees and the note to pay for it, the whole financial hardship was overwhelming. I just don't know if I would have kept it after not being able to afford to go three years in a row. This is alot to consider and I wish someone who's bought and was unhappy, and sold would post here; just to hear their perpectives.

DisneyPhD

Debbie said:
As you can see; this is highly debated subject. I can attest from these boards that those who belong truly feel they made the right decision, and I really respect that. I know myself that I would have lost my DVC membership six years ago with both my husband and myself being laid off (we'd had to sell so as not to have the added pressure of yearly fees), and I can't say if we would have rented out our points to cover the fees and the note to pay for it, the whole financial hardship was overwhelming. I just don't know if I would have kept it after not being able to afford to go three years in a row. This is alot to consider and I wish someone who's bought and was unhappy, and sold would post here; just to hear their perpectives.

When I was laid off I was happy we already bought, so we still could afford our Disney vactions. However we still had DH income and we always knew my job was unstable so we never based on nessasry income to live on it. Like I said before you can rent your points for $10 a point, it cost us around $5 a point. Cheaper if you bought it eariler, more if you just recenlty bought in. Most of these people also had other vaction timeshares or 2nd homes. They were over their heads to start with and cut back to a more managalbe level.

I don't know many magic members who are unhappy. I know a few (just a few) from www.disboard.com that were unhappy and sold. (that is out of 1,000 of members.) Most of them had multiple contracts of over 500 point total and they sold one or more contract leaving them around 200 points. More points more dues. We have 170 points, I wish had a bit more, around 200 to 250. After that the dues just get too high.

Gails DVC made it though a divorce. The thing is if you are unhappy you can sell. Most people who do ended up making money on it, and getting use of the membership too so they got "free vactions."

You need to manage your points so you don't lose them.

2 major questions are "Do you LOVE disney world and staying on property?"
"Do you have the money to buy in to start?" If you are on WDWMagic changes are you are yes to the 1st question.

After that would be to be sure to budget to aford the yearly dues and the cost of the rest of vaction.

Besides possible finaical future hardship the only other really big concern would be possible physical health hardship. But then again we can't plan life around that and just have to adjust when life happens.

artvandelay

We bought 160 points this year, and with borrowing points fron next year, have booked:

1 5 nights in a studio at Hilton Head for my parents in October
2 6 nights in a 2 bedroom at the Boardwalk in Jaunuary
3 Haven't booked it yet because she hasn't settled on exact dates, 4 nights in a studio (probably OKW or BW) for my wife and her sister in October

After all of this, we still have approx. 30 points left over for 2006.

It is an expensive time share compared to Starwood or Marriott, but we want to stay in WDW when we go to Orlando. If you're using DVC to stay at other timeshares around the world, you're not getting your money's worth.

When we bought, we used our disney Visa to make the purchase (and lucky enough to pay it off right away), and got the Disney points for it. Our Disney Visa is used for everything, and we had enough points to pay all but $25 of our maitenance fee.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom