Longer Tiki Hours = Pointless

Dr Albert Falls

Original Poster
I remember a few years ago when Disney began closing certain attractions like "The Enchanted Tiki Room" early. There was outrage.

"Every attraction should be open every hour of the day!"
"It's all about the bottom-line!"
"Walt would never do that!"
"You're denying first-time visitors the opportunity to see everything!"
"It spoils the magic!"

The other night I was in Adventureland at about 8:15-- a full 45 minutes before park closing. I was shocked to see the Tiki Room was STILL OPEN--- most likely because Aladdin's Magic Carpets were down for re-hab.

Anyways, not only was Adventureland mostly deserted, there was nobody, and I mean NOBODY standing in line at the Tiki Room during the attraction's pre-show.

Say what you want about the quality of the "new" show. Still, you'd think SOMEONE would be in line to see it--- if there really was a demand for such an attraction at that time of night.

My guess is that, at that time of night, most visitors were just standing up after watching Spectromagic, and getting in position to see Wishes.

It really does make sense that such attractions like Tiki Room, Hall of Presidents, the Riverboat, and the Country Bear Jamboree close early in the day. It would certainly be honorable for Disney to keep them open all day in the name of tradition-- but it doesn't make a lot of business sense, especially when those attractions don't seem to be in demand anyways during the park's final hours.

General Grizz

I'm okay with these hours. Tiki Room isn't one of the most popular WDW attractions. . . but I have seen late night crowds at CBJ.

(Beats seasonal status!)

EpcotGrl

Maybe if it was the good Tiki Room...

*sniffle* I miss my Tiki Room... :cry:

Am I the only one who can hardly stand to go in there anymore?

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Comments on Hours of Operation

First of all, you must take into account the time of year in which you are talking. Of course during this time of year you are going to see smaller crowds late in the day. That's why we're in the "value" season right now with the resorts. Secondly, do take into account the other "shows" which people may be getting into position for shows like Spectromagic, Wishes, etc.
Just because one attraction isn't SRO late in the day, doesn't mean it shouldn't be open. I understand the business aspect of it, and maybe they could "massage" the hours a little. But to close it because for 1 hour of the day you don't "book" any riders, doesn't indicate a new operating schedule is needed.

CaptainMichael

I haven't been to the Enchanted Tiki Room in over 8 years. There is just no draw for me to go to it. I believe that this attraction's days are numbered. I'd like to see something new in Adventureland. I'm sure the Imagineers can come up with something excellent, they USUALLY do!

J

joviacdan

EpcotGrl said:

Am I the only one who can hardly stand to go in there anymore?

No, you're not.

While I agree that all attractions should be open while the park is, I won't do this one again.

I hadn't done it in a few years, but I went in with my GF in September. No word of lie, I almost fell asleep. I thought it was absolutely awful.

Not sure if it's because Gilbert Godfried does the voice of one of the birds, or it's just not funny, or the songs stink. It was just horrendous.

WDWFREAK53

Hmmm...I guess I'm in the minority in this when I say that I actually like it :lol:

(No, I don't do it multple times per visit...but it's worth going once a trip)

I, for one, would rather see them close attractions early if they took the money they saved and put it into a big jar and put it towards the parks at the end of the year. :lol:

TheDisneyGirl02

I have to admit that I like the Tiki room...*holds head while rotten fruit is being tossed at her*

I don't know for sure...BUT I think they may have kept the Tiki Room open till close because of the Aladdin's Magic Carpets being down. I don't know for sure, like I said, but it's a thought.

TheDisneyGirl02

Cynderella

I actually like the Tiki Room too. I liked the old one much much much better, but I still drag myself in there. I guess it is because everything minus the new stuff brings back good memories of the old. All the birds in there still amaze me. I wish I had one in my house! :D

CrackerJack

joviacdan said:
Not sure if it's because Gilbert Godfried does the voice of one of the birds, or it's just not funny, or the songs stink. It was just horrendous.

Yes regarding Gilbert
Yes regarding it's not funny
Yes regarding that the songs stink
Yes regarding horrendous

We went in there last year and I was horrified. Will not be going in again unless it is changed. I realize this sounds like the grumpy old man who doesn't like change and believes everything was better back in the day. I don't see myself that way -- just honestly believe that it used to be better. I do not see how adding Gilbert Godfried to anything can make it better ....

Steamboat_Kevin

EpcotGrl said:

Don't we all? :( They don't even finish "In the Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room" in the "new and improved" version :cry:
At least the original is still in tact at Disneyland :)

cherrynegra

I don't think the hours are unreasonable. I think attendance for various attractions may fluctuate from one moment to another for a variety of reasons. However, I must admit that I have stayed away from the Tiki Room due to the countless negative comments by other concerning the new "version" now playing. And the one at DL is in repairs so I guess I won't be seeing this until next year.

celticdog

WDWFREAK53 said:
Hmmm...I guess I'm in the minority in this when I say that I actually like it :lol:

(No, I don't do it multple times per visit...but it's worth going once a trip)

I, for one, would rather see them close attractions early if they took the money they saved and put it into a big jar and put it towards the parks at the end of the year. :lol:

Brian, I'm with you. I like the Tiki room. I find a different sense of magic. There's something tropical that really appeals to me.

prberk

I think that the novelty of the "under new management" is completely lost now that a whole generation of children (considered 7-10 years) has come and gone since Aladdin introduced Gilbert's character that they use for it.

It is time to go back to the original, timeless show for at least a while.

The concept itself is still good for families.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
prberk said:
I think that the novelty of the "under new management" is completely lost now that a whole generation of children (considered 7-10 years) has come and gone since Aladdin introduced Gilbert's character that they use for it.

It is time to go back to the original, timeless show for at least a while.

The concept itself is still good for families.

They could do under new new management and have the Alien from AE host since he/she/it is out of a job now.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Siege898

i was recently also in adventureland around 7:15 on a saturday. that was still 45 mins before spectromagic. we decided to go on the jungle cruise and we got a boat to ourselves plus like 3 other people. it was outrageous. That attraction has fastpass, and on a sat. night before spectromagic for jungle cruise to have no line like that is very strange.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom