Long Ridiculous Rant - My Complete AP Fiasco

luv

Tell them you lost it and see if a new one doesn't solve the problem.

It is possible that your finger is too "dry" to be read. Try rubbing your finger on some oily part of your body before slapping it on the scanner thing - top of the forehead is good.

Mine didn't work once. Then I tried it again and it did work. A staff kid who was obviously sick and tired of dealing with tapstile issues was telling some woman she had to do it again because it didn't work. Then he told me, as I was walking in, that I had to re-do mine. "You, too, ma'am. you have to re-do it, too. It has to turn green. The circle has to turn green," he said, exasperated.

I told him I knew that and it did work and was green. I was about to ask if it would work again so quickly when he said, "Oh! I wasn't watching. I didn't see that." So, why tell me it didn't work if he didn't see it?

The staff is sick of the tapstiles.

StarWarsGirl

On the old passes, they used to tell people not to put their pass in the same pocket as their phone. It could have nothing to do with your problem, but just make sure.

But the stupid finger scan thing has NEVER worked! We've had friends get in on each other's passes:rolleyes:. The Disneyland photo thing worked better...even though they had to take my photo more than once.

EDIT: Also, I'm sorry, but your misfortune has given me some laughter for the evening.

pjammer

Don't bother getting a new one. The ticket is always going to be linked to the old bio scan. A "new" ticket not really new but links back to the older one replaced so it does no good. I'm sorry to hear about your problem but if you want my honest advice. Next time they reset it jut use your thumb instead. Then if that does not work then just use photo ID every time. As long as you have the ID out and ready to use when you approach it doesn't take to long you just have to wait for a GR CM to be freed up. Which probably takes less time than trying 5 different times. Once again sorry for the experiance but those are my best suggestions.

MountainMedic'sWife

Don't bother getting a new one. The ticket is always going to be linked to the old bio scan. A "new" ticket not really new but links back to the older one replaced so it does no good. I'm sorry to hear about your problem but if you want my honest advice. Next time they reset it jut use your thumb instead. Then if that does not work then just use photo ID every time. As long as you have the ID out and ready to use when you approach it doesn't take to long you just have to wait for a GR CM to be freed up. Which probably takes less time than trying 5 different times. Once again sorry for the experiance but those are my best suggestions.

I was thinking of using another finger, maybe one closer to the middle. ;) It probably wouldn't work any better but it might make the OP feel better. :D

acishere

I was thinking of using another finger, maybe one closer to the middle. ;) It probably wouldn't work any better but it might make the OP feel better. :D

My aunt used her middle finger for her 5 day park hopper. She said it was out of habit since that is the finger her doctor uses for the pulse machine thingy. When her fingerprint wasn't scanning at DHS the CM thought she was being passive aggressive about the bio-metric system.

DicksonGR

What annoys me is that if a "front of line" cast member getting paid buttons can realise that the heat effects the size of your finger, then therefore your biometric information, why on earth can't the highly paid designers of the system work this out? ...

Whats wrong with a simple picture associated with the ticket. Thats the way that most fitness centres do it around here. I'm trying to get into Disney World ... not America!

Todd L

Every word of the following ridiculously long rant is true. I don't need attention badly enough to post BS for the hell of it. If you're bored and have time on your hands, feel free to read. If you have anything better to do, please move on – no offense taken.

I'm posting this:
  1. Because I'm Uber Annoyed
  2. Because feedback might help (doubtful).
  3. Because there's an actual question at the end of all this.
  4. Because I can.
I got my new RFID annual pass in March or April and for a couple of months everything was dandy – which is to say it worked/failed about the same as my paper pass – 80% success or so. Although thinking back I was probably using the turnstiles rather than tapstiles most of the time.

About a month or so ago, the pass simply stopped working. I don't mean it doesn't work the first or second time – it doesn't work period, and intervention of Guest Relations CMs is required. Of my last nineteen tries, it has gone green exactly twice. I know the numbers because I'm going for Epcot concerts and I know how many times I've seen each group.

The pass has been reset by GR ten times I'm pretty sure. But since I don't want to be accused of hyperbole, I'll go with nine, since I know for a fact it's been reset that many times.

I've gone to the ticket windows twice to see about a new pass. The first time, a very sympathetic CM said she'd be happy to issue a new pass but that it probably wouldn't help, as the issue with a minority of guests seems to be the biometric interface. The second time, I insisted on a new pass and it turns out they were right – it didn't help.

The interaction with CMs has been interesting to say the least:

Sir - are you using the same finger as last time? Yep, right index finger since the day biometrics started.
Sir – your finger is too far forward. (One CM actually put her fingertip between my fingertip and the front of the sensor.)
Sir – your finger is too far back. (That was the very next day after my finger was too far forward.)
Sir – don't press down so hard.
Sir – press down a little harder.
Sir – are you using your finger the same way every time. To which I responded – If this system requires the dexterity of a neurosurgeon then it's a piece of crap. That was a wasted comment from me because I could tell from the blank look that she didn't have a clue what the words dexterity or neurosurgeon meant.

I had a long talk with a GR CM who gave me some patient explanations. The old system scanned 32 points of the finger and the new one scans over a hundred. Therefore, they're experiencing a higher failure rate, which is why GR will be a permanent fixture at the tapstiles. Wonder how much that'll cost in labor $$.

He went on to tell me – here goes – It's summer in Florida, Sir. It's hot. (Really? Hey thanks for that, I was wondering why sweat was running down my back.) In the heat, human body parts swell, so my finger today may be a different shape and size than when I was previously reset. So let me get this straight – When I was reset on Wednesday in 92 degree heat, my finger was different than on Friday in 92 degree heat? The fun part about this exchange is that both of us kept a straight face throughout.

I've kept my cool so far. I haven't erupted at a CM, haven't cursed, I haven't even really growled yet, but I'm probably going to before long. I don't let life's little bumps disturb my equanimity, so I keep telling myself that these CMs didn't ask for this system, didn't design it and didn't implement it so they don't deserve any abuse over it, but I'm not far from losing my temper. I'm holding up the people I'm with and the people behind me for anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes and I'm pretty much over it.

Okay, thanks for reading this ridiculous rant, but here are a couple of questions.

What would any of you do? Hell, what would Jesus do for that matter?

But more importantly – I think I had read that since a few guests are somewhat paranoid about Disney storing their fingerprints that if you refuse the biometrics, they'll accept your AP, picture ID and let you in. Does anyone know this to still be the case? Because I'm going to give this one or two more tries and after that, I'm done with it – permanently.

Carry on now.
I work I.t. in a call center with a couple of hundred employees...we are always buying the latest and greatest technology and sadly in the digital age there are Ghost in the machine and it dosent matter how much money we spend, how much o.t. we invest, how many hours we spend in meetings and phone calls with developers there are always unanticipated issues and sadly its alway the end user (you in this case) that gets the short end of the stick....

My department hears a ton of garbage over some overpaid pencil pushers ideas of what will work best for the company.

The higher up's also like to put the blame on us and make us the problem when we almost never are!!!

I hope they get this worked out for you ...

sgtmgd

Every word of the following ridiculously long rant is true. I don't need attention badly enough to post BS for the hell of it. If you're bored and have time on your hands, feel free to read. If you have anything better to do, please move on – no offense taken.

I'm posting this:
  1. Because I'm Uber Annoyed
  2. Because feedback might help (doubtful).
  3. Because there's an actual question at the end of all this.
  4. Because I can.

I got my new RFID annual pass in March or April and for a couple of months everything was dandy – which is to say it worked/failed about the same as my paper pass – 80% success or so. Although thinking back I was probably using the turnstiles rather than tapstiles most of the time.

About a month or so ago, the pass simply stopped working. I don't mean it doesn't work the first or second time – it doesn't work period, and intervention of Guest Relations CMs is required. Of my last nineteen tries, it has gone green exactly twice. I know the numbers because I'm going for Epcot concerts and I know how many times I've seen each group.

The pass has been reset by GR ten times I'm pretty sure. But since I don't want to be accused of hyperbole, I'll go with nine, since I know for a fact it's been reset that many times.

I've gone to the ticket windows twice to see about a new pass. The first time, a very sympathetic CM said she'd be happy to issue a new pass but that it probably wouldn't help, as the issue with a minority of guests seems to be the biometric interface. The second time, I insisted on a new pass and it turns out they were right – it didn't help.

The interaction with CMs has been interesting to say the least:

Sir - are you using the same finger as last time? Yep, right index finger since the day biometrics started.
Sir – your finger is too far forward. (One CM actually put her fingertip between my fingertip and the front of the sensor.)
Sir – your finger is too far back. (That was the very next day after my finger was too far forward.)
Sir – don't press down so hard.
Sir – press down a little harder.
Sir – are you using your finger the same way every time. To which I responded – If this system requires the dexterity of a neurosurgeon then it's a piece of crap. That was a wasted comment from me because I could tell from the blank look that she didn't have a clue what the words dexterity or neurosurgeon meant.

I had a long talk with a GR CM who gave me some patient explanations. The old system scanned 32 points of the finger and the new one scans over a hundred. Therefore, they're experiencing a higher failure rate, which is why GR will be a permanent fixture at the tapstiles. Wonder how much that'll cost in labor $$.

He went on to tell me – here goes – It's summer in Florida, Sir. It's hot. (Really? Hey thanks for that, I was wondering why sweat was running down my back.) In the heat, human body parts swell, so my finger today may be a different shape and size than when I was previously reset. So let me get this straight – When I was reset on Wednesday in 92 degree heat, my finger was different than on Friday in 92 degree heat? The fun part about this exchange is that both of us kept a straight face throughout.

I've kept my cool so far. I haven't erupted at a CM, haven't cursed, I haven't even really growled yet, but I'm probably going to before long. I don't let life's little bumps disturb my equanimity, so I keep telling myself that these CMs didn't ask for this system, didn't design it and didn't implement it so they don't deserve any abuse over it, but I'm not far from losing my temper. I'm holding up the people I'm with and the people behind me for anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes and I'm pretty much over it.

Okay, thanks for reading this ridiculous rant, but here are a couple of questions.

What would any of you do? Hell, what would Jesus do for that matter?

But more importantly – I think I had read that since a few guests are somewhat paranoid about Disney storing their fingerprints that if you refuse the biometrics, they'll accept your AP, picture ID and let you in. Does anyone know this to still be the case? Because I'm going to give this one or two more tries and after that, I'm done with it – permanently.

Carry on now.

I could'nt have scripted that verbal vollyball any better myself, had a nice snicker reading this at work, I'm sure at some point they will get it figured out..we appreciate you being the crash test dummy boldly balzing the trail for us..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom