Long live the Eastern Gateway or how I learned to love the Anaheim City Council after the election.

Darkbeer1

It's because the whole "primarily locals" thing is a lie and a sad excuse used by WDW fans who grump about why WDW doesn't need the stuff Disneyland always gets like new rides, new shows, new night parades, holiday overlays, updates to Fantasmic or World of Color, better Christmas decorations, etc., etc.

There's a lot of "locals" who go to Disneyland, because Disneyland sits smack dab in the middle of one of the largest megacities in the Free World with 20 Million people living within a 90 minute freeway drive of Disneyland.

But there's also a lot of domestic and foreign tourists who go to Disneyland while they visit SoCal and/or stay in the 28,000 hotel rooms within the Anaheim Resort District bubble. In 2018, just over 50 Million tourists visited Orange County, and the foreign tourist slice of that pie rose by 3% that year. It's big business.

And Convention Center Guests, plus visitors and teams/staff for Angel Stadium, Honda Center, The American Sports Center that hosts multiple Olympic level events for volleyball and other sports, etc.

One of the pushes for Anaheim Hotel Rooms are more Business related than tourist related in the last few years. Of course, many folks that come for business opt to do a few tourist things.

Captn EO

As someone who goes to the Staples Center/LA Live location on a regular basis, The city has figured out a way to close a couple of streets on the North side of Staples Center, but reopen them ASAP, to maintain vehicular traffic flow.
I went to Staples Center last year to see Elton John. Our car was outside Staple's Center an hour and 15 minutes before the concert. It took an hour and a half just to park our car, using the official Staples Center parking. We missed the first couple of songs.

Old Mouseketeer

I went to Staples Center last year to see Elton John. Our car was outside Staple's Center an hour and 15 minutes before the concert. It took an hour and a half just to park our car, using the official Staples Center parking. We missed the first couple of songs.

Our limo driver knew to come in from the North to the limo parking area in the NE corner. It took us maybe 15-20 minutes to park and we still had time to buy souvenirs at the outside trailer and leave them in the car.

Don't hate me--I was invited for my best friend's 60th birthday party. No way I could have afforded any of that night.

Stevek

I've been to many sold out concerts and tons of hockey games and have literally never had a problem parking at Staples. The only issues I've ever heard of is when there is a convention going on at the same time as a Staples event which could have been your issue.

Now the Forum, whole different game. It took us over 2 hours to park, missed the first 4 songs. I used to go to many concerts and hockey games there as well and don't remember every having issues. This is apparently the new normal at the Forum though.

Last edited:

Captn EO

Our limo driver knew to come in from the North to the limo parking area in the NE corner. It took us maybe 15-20 minutes to park and we still had time to buy souvenirs at the outside trailer and leave them in the car.

Don't hate me--I was invited for my best friend's 60th birthday party. No way I could have afforded any of that night.

That is awesome! I'm jealous! It was my 3rd time seeing Elton so not the biggest deal, just was very stressful.

I've been to many sold out concerts and tons of hockey games and have literally never had a problem parking at Staples. The only issues I've ever heard of is when there is a convention going on at the same time as a Staples event which could have been your issue.

Now the Forum, whole different game. It took us over 2 hours to park, missed the first 4 songs. I used to go to many concerts and hockey games there as well and don't remember every having issues. This is apparently the new normal at the Forum though.

Maybe there was a convention going on as well. I had been to Staples in the past and used off site unofficial lots. I decided to go the "official route" by using their parking, boy was that a mistake.

What's interesting is that both times I went to the forum (2013 and 2015) it was the fastest ive had entering and exiting a concert. Guess it all depends on staffing for the day maybe?

Top Bottom