Long live the Eastern Gateway or how I learned to love the Anaheim City Council after the election.

Darkbeer1

Well, the Toy Story extension is a BIG Priority.

As for the Eastern Gateway, it is a combined priority.

While the Runaway Railway has used the Backstage Area of Toontown, that is pretty much it for usable space North of DL.

As for DCA, there is the space for a potential Avengers Campus new attraction, but that uses up the last of the Backstage Space on the South end.

So the next, and basically last feasible space, is the current Transportation Plaza. (Yes, Simba can also be looked at, but there are serious Parking issues that would have to be addressed).

Disney, and many law enforcement agencies are also seriously worried about the current Security Check on the East End near Harbor. It is way too close to the Main Entrance Gates, which could allow a serious threat to get too near the gates.

So, Disney wants the Security Check area be near Manchester. That requires the pedestrian bridge, and new security Check to be built. And a new Transportation Plaza is a fairly inexpensive project that could be added at the same time.

And if Disney builds on the expansion pad that was the Transportation Plaza off of Harbor, that would create a demand for more parking spaces when the expansion opens. So the proposed Pummba Structure, which also now can use the former USCIS building space.

So if Disney gets the large rebound it hopes to get in 2021, they file the needed paperwork in early 2022 to get the planning process started, they can get the approval, and then start the construction of the Pedestrian Bridge, new Security area, plus the new Transportation area in 2023 or 2024. And then they can demo the current Transportation area.

Then when they start building on that new expansion pad, they can start work on the Pummba Parking Structure. in 2025 or later, which should allow things to get back to normal. Also, Anaheim is a Host City for the 2028 Olympics, as the Honda Center is the Volleyball location. Some of the Baseball games could also be played in Anaheim, though the Final will be at Dodger Stadium. So Disney has 2027 as a goal (or had) to get the Eastern Gateway completed.

So before March, 2020, it was a good chance it would had been introduced around May, 2020, to get the approval before the election.

Darkbeer1

Now, let's look forward in Anaheim politics.

There are currently 2 Recall petitions in circulation. Recall Mayor Sidhu and Recall District 2 Councilmember Jordan Brandman.

Both are being circulating by friends of Dr. Moreno, trying to change the majority.

Presuming Jose Diaz holds his lead, that would make the majority no less than 4 to 3 business friendly majority, depending on if the recalls gather enough signatures, if the recalls are then successful, and who is voted to replace those recalled.

Now, one scenario is that the Mayor is recalled, and Dr. Moreno, who is expected to run on the recall ballot, becomes the new mayor. (Which would open up the District 3 seat).

My guess, the recalls will just quietly go away, as no real change would happen, and cost a lot of money.

So looking forward to the 2022 election. Once again, presuming Jose Diaz wins, that has the election started with 3 Business friendly seats secured.

Three Council seats, District 2, Jordan Brandman seat has a good chance of reelection. District 6 is pretty much guaranteed to be retained by Trevor O'Neil, due to the makeup of the Anaheim Hills area. So that is a 5 seat Business friendly majority. District 3 will be an open seat, due to term limits, but there is a good chance that whoever Dr. Moreno supports to replace him would win, due to the makeup of the district.

So that leaves the Mayor's race. Harry Sidhu would run for reelection, and Dr. Moreno would challenge him, and then you could see additional candidates, such as a Centrist Democrat or an Independent.

But based on the current election results, you would have at least a 5 seat business friendly majority, so Disney probably feels comfortable in look past 2022 to start the Eastern Gateway.

But a lot can change in the next two years.

el_super

But based on the current election results, you would have at least a 5 seat business friendly majority, so Disney probably feels comfortable in look past 2022 to start the Eastern Gateway.

This just seems like a bizarre take to me, since it was businesses that had objected to Disney's plan for the eastern gateway. Why would a pro-business city council decide to decapitate so many local businesses in favor of a Disney parking lot?

lazyboy97o

This just seems like a bizarre take to me, since it was businesses that had objected to Disney's plan for the eastern gateway. Why would a pro-business city council decide to decapitate so many local businesses in favor of a Disney parking lot?
Businesses that the city is upset about being closed... So it’s wrong for the businesses along Harbor Blvd to lose business due to a health and safety measure but it’s desirable that they lose business to Disney via poor urban design.

Darkbeer1

The first try at the Eastern Gateway was when Mayor Tait and and Anti-Disney majority was in charge. Mayor Tait kicked out all the Planning Commissioners when the Anti-Disney majority was in charge.

The new Planning Commission matched the thought of the Council. So when the IHOP complained about access, the Planning Commission used that to state the project needed more studies. Disney then saw that there was no way the project would be approved by the Planning Commission/Planning Commission.

The large percentage of Harbor Blvd. Businesses wanted the Eastern Gateway project. And the Pummba Structure can be built by right. Only the new land acquired for the bridge, Security Check, and Transportation Plaza is not part of the DLSP, and has to go through the full Planning Commission Process. Now, an expanded Pummba structure would need the full process, since the USCIS building is not part of the DLSP.

After dragging their feet, Disney came up with the Pixar Pier Structure, and 4th Hotel. Those projects did not need the approval of the Planning Commission.

Alas, the Council found a way to eliminate the Tax Rebate program for the 4th Hotel, which then got cancelled due to the fact that the new balance sheet didn't make the project cancelled.

The current take is that now all Hotels, as of February 2020 was in favor of the Eastern Gateway with revised access to the Security Access, and a couple of Restaurants would be overridden by the large amount of support of the project.

Darkbeer1

Businesses that the city is upset about being closed... So it’s wrong for the businesses along Harbor Blvd to lose business due to a health and safety measure but it’s desirable that they lose business to Disney via poor urban design.

What businesses would lose business? What businesses would gain business? Of course projects like the Eastern Gateway have winners and losers.

el_super

The current take is that now all Hotels, as of February 2020 was in favor of the Eastern Gateway with revised access to the Security Access, and a couple of Restaurants would be overridden by the large amount of support of the project.

So again, you're ok with letting the restaurants along Harbor die and keeping people in the Disney bubble?

I mean, I get that most of this discussion is moot because there is no need for the Eastern Gateway and most of those businesses are going to die anyway, but it definitely will add some perspective to other claims being made here by yourself and other reps of the city.

D

Deleted member 107043

The new Planning Commission matched the thought of the Council. So when the IHOP complained about access, the Planning Commission used that to state the project needed more studies. Disney then saw that there was no way the project would be approved by the Planning Commission/Planning Commission.

I'm curious why Disney didn't simply follow the Commission's guidance and revamp its Eastern Gateway plans back then?

mickEblu

eastern gateway mean california adventure expansion! im all for it

Really curious to see what IP they would go with on this expansion. Hopefully not Star Wars and I think there is enough Marvel at Avengers Campus + the expansion pad behind it for the Avengers ride. What’s the next slam dunk IP?

It would be super refreshing for them to go with an original land and not a single IP land even if it’s full of IP attractions.

Maybe the answer is obvious, more Marvel or maybe a Star Wars land based on the OT.

J4546

i figure it would be a hollywood expansion because its not big enough to make it own land imo. maybe they retheme some of the hollywood land to marvel land? I dunno. I know the mickey and minnie railway was supposed to go in that expansion if the eastern gatteway got built but they changed it to toontown after they cancelled it.

Mac Tonight

Really curious to see what IP they would go with on this expansion. Hopefully not Star Wars and I think there is enough Marvel at Avengers Campus + the expansion pad behind it for the Avengers ride. What’s the next slam dunk IP?

It would be super refreshing for them to go with an original land and not a single IP land even if it’s full of IP attractions.

Maybe the answer is obvious, more Marvel or maybe a Star Wars land based on the OT.
I'd prefer they expand out Hollywood Land and throw in a Great Movie Ride and a Sci-Fi Dine-In.

mickEblu

i figure it would be a hollywood expansion because its not big enough to make it own land imo. maybe they retheme some of the hollywood land to marvel land? I dunno. I know the mickey and minnie railway was supposed to go in that expansion if the eastern gatteway got built but they changed it to toontown after they cancelled it.

It’s definitely big enough when you include the bus transpo area. The fact that they didn’t put MMRR in the backlot tells me Hollywoodland is gone. Shame- could have been a great land with TOT, MMRR and a refreshed Hollywood Blvd/ backlot + a trolley reroute. Best we can hope for now is that they just extend the Buena Vista treatment up Hollywood Blvd.

Darkbeer1

I’m guessing it’s safe to assume that the city won’t be using the master planned Gene Autry extension as a bargaining chip this time around?

The Gene Autry extension is still a high priority of the City, especially with all the new construction for the Angel Stadium expansion and OCV!be. That is a lot more cars everyday in the area, and traffic flow is important, especially when the Convention Center reopens, and the desire to bring those folks to the new areas.

The 2028 Olympics are still 100% planned and scheduled.

So if anything, the city wants it even more, and will be happy to work with Disney to find a way to get access to the land needed for Gene Autry Way.

Maybe a new specific plan for the Eastern Gateway land and whatever Toy Story land remains. Maybe allow some hybrid project at the North East corner of Ball and Harbor. A CM parking structure, and offices/warehouse space.

LastoneOn

The 2028 Olympics are still 100% planned and scheduled.

Ahhh, didn't know that. (Oly lost me years ago). Its a long way away but not really. When it comes to project build times all of that, have to keep reminding that we're not talking about vacant land out in the desert. (most of the gateway area is cleared now, but wasn't). There are lots of things that have to be removed before new installed, and so much in the ground (utilities). The years are going to fly by.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom