Long live the Eastern Gateway or how I learned to love the Anaheim City Council after the election.

Franklin47disneyguy

What I never understood is why they didn't add a harbor blvd entrance to the bridge, and then close it after a few months for security concerns. That way they tress passed local opposition when filling the permits.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
What I never understood is why they didn't add a harbor blvd entrance to the bridge, and then close it after a few months for security concerns. That way they tress passed local opposition when filling the permits.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by adding a harbor blvd entrance to the bridge?

truecoat

Original Poster
Can you elaborate on what you mean by adding a harbor blvd entrance to the bridge?

What some wanted was what I guess was a stairway/elevator to a separate security area right on the bridge so they didn't have to walk around. This would create a giant line onto harbor which right away kills such an idea.

What would make sense is somehow to make a path next to the bridge that takes you to the back where they want the security check to be. The only problem with this is that it would eat into the space used for people to get to Disneyland and there is not enough room but I'm guessing.

Eastern.jpg

Ismael Flores

What some wanted was what I guess was a stairway/elevator to a separate security area right on the bridge so they didn't have to walk around. This would create a giant line onto harbor which right away kills such an idea.

What would make sense is somehow to make a path next to the bridge that takes you to the back where they want the security check to be. The only problem with this is that it would eat into the space used for people to get to Disneyland and there is not enough room but I'm guessing.

View attachment 368945

i had posted somewhere online and idea similar to this, i can't remember where but it was something that maybe Disney could do

The bridge is suppose to have a slope effect starting from the secured area until it reaches a certain height then cross over Harbor.

That made me wonder if the ramp and bridge can be designed as a multi use pathway by leaving the underside of the bridge accessible for use.
The upper floor would be the bridge designed to use as much of the properties width as possible until the slope height reaches a minimum height for safe pedestrain walking at bottom level. At that part of the slope the bridge would decrease in width leaving an open area on one or both sides of the ramp. something like this marked in blue.

The bottom level would be a brightly lit tunnel set up with a queue similar to the queues at airport. At the end of the queue a security area. Once guest pas this small security area they walk to the left or right side along side the sloped ramp but divided from it into the already secured zone. The tunnel walls would be a great place to add attraction posters, promotional posters, park rules and information to make it feel welcoming.

something like this red area is bottom floor green line security check point.

DanielBB8

The businesses would also like the guests to exit directly off the bridge onto the sidewalk to access the businesses from Harbor and not on the backside.

Ismael Flores

The businesses would also like the guests to exit directly off the bridge onto the sidewalk to access the businesses from Harbor and not on the backside.

that shouldn't be a problem, If they add two walkways. They can set one up for exit and one for entrance.

The amount of crowds should not be the same as they see now. If proper signage is placed at the corner of Disney way and Harbor most of the guests coming north up Harbor will be directed to go in thru the main gateway off Disney way.

Several of those hotels north of Disney way also have the offer from Disney about having exclusive back entrances which should also reduce the crowd level from needing this alternate entrance

TP2000

I’m weirdly thankful that the Eastern Gateway was stalled when it was, because Disney was forced to build the Pixar Pals structure in the meantime. I figured they’d want to keep pursuing the Eastern Gateway post-Star Wars, but I’m not sure we would have gotten Pixar Pals if Eastern Gateway opened in 2019. This way hopefully we’ll end up with more parking overall!

That's a really good point, and I agree that this Eastern Gateway disaster forced them into Pixar Pals to have more parking for Star Wars Land.

@Darkbeer1 and @Old Mouseketeer have both offered great insight into how TDA has bungled the Resort's overall parking needs over the last decade with a short-sighted and idiotically cheap approach that now has piecemeal surface parking lots all over the place.

Years ago, when Al Lutz was still alive, he outlined how this basic plan was ready for a 2009 start date to be ready for DCA's relaunch in 2012, but TDA presidents from Ed Grier to George Kalogridis to Michael Colglazier kept postponing it and kicking the can down the road a few years at a time.

Because those brilliant executives figured Disneyland's failing parking infrastructure wasn't a problem, as Mr. Lutz described how those men and their wives valet park their cars at the Grand Californian for free anytime they take their kids to Disneyland. :rolleyes:

The delay in Eastern Gateway also gives TDA a chance to create a grander facility that uses the USCIS building from 2020 on. If anything, they need to beef up the Uber/Lyft drop off area as that is a transportation option that will only be growing in the 2020's. I have even gotten in the habit of taking an Uber to Downtown Disney for Resort visits, and I live less than 10 miles away. It's just so much easier and faster than parking at any of the big Disneyland parking options.

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

I also check to see if diminishing the width of the ramp as it slopes down would be to much of problem and create a narrow walkway. according to google map area the width of the property is

hotel property = 172.615 feet
Disneyland mainstreet including sidewalks = 98.546 feet
DTD bridge including the large planters on both sides = 187.211 feet

seems like it might not be that much of an issue, of course it all depends on the design of the bridge, i don't even know if the sloping of the bridge would minimize the usable space on ground level

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Let me check inside my couch...
I know its just easy to say "Disney should just buy up Harbor and be done with it", but there is a lot more into it than just money. There is also politics and emotion all tied up into that side of Harbor. As I said I heard rumors of wills being drawn up to prevent sale of properties to Disney either directly or indirectly so that future generations can't sell them to Disney. So there is that. Disney would love to just buy up Harbor, but too many things are preventing that.

DanielBB8

The Eastern Gateway would have split the parking load. Now, the west parking will not have sufficient tram capacity so many people will walk the distance. They should have increased Hotel capacity when they decided to build Star Wars Land. While Disney World get new hotel capacity constantly, Disneyland continues to delay. They’re missing out on $500 a night rates.

britain

The Eastern Gateway would have split the parking load. Now, the west parking will not have sufficient tram capacity so many people will walk the distance. They should have increased Hotel capacity when they decided to build Star Wars Land. While Disney World get new hotel capacity constantly, Disneyland continues to delay. They’re missing out on $500 a night rates.

I’ve long hoped for DL to get its own Victorian Del Coronado-style hotel like every other Disney resort. Maybe they’ll fit it in someday somewhere.

Old Mouseketeer

And it was in the Master Plan from the days of Westcot. Disney bungled this big time and now guests and CMs are going to feel the pain. The suits at TDA will still park in the TDA structure and at valet at GCH when they bring their families. As much as like Earl of Sandwich, it's not worth the hassle. Same with the AMC Theaters--it wasn't worth it.

mlayton144

As I said I heard rumors of wills being drawn up to prevent sale of properties to Disney either directly or indirectly so that future generations can't sell them to Disney. So there is that. Disney would love to just buy up Harbor, but too many things are preventing that.

That sounds like some urban legend, doubt such a notion would even be legal, dead people controlling the terms of property ownership?

lazyboy97o

That sounds like some urban legend, doubt such a notion would even be legal, dead people controlling the terms of property ownership?
They’re called deed restrictions and are very much legal. It’s how you can be required to join a homeowner’s association. Universal Orlando somewhat recently had to pay an additional premium for their expansion land to remove a deed restriction they created when they sold the land preventing amusement parks from being developed on the land. I don’t know about restrictions specific to Harbor Blvd, but it is a legal mechanism available to current and prior land owners.

mlayton144

They’re called deed restrictions and are very much legal. It’s how you can be required to join a homeowner’s association. Universal Orlando somewhat recently had to pay an additional premium for their expansion land to remove a deed restriction they created when they sold the land preventing amusement parks from being developed on the land. I don’t know about restrictions specific to Harbor Blvd, but it is a legal mechanism available to current and prior land owners.

So a deed restriction can be enforced to prevent a private owner to restrict another potential owner from acquiring ? Seems dubious at best

lazyboy97o

So a deed restriction can be enforced to prevent a private owner to restrict another potential owner from acquiring ? Seems dubious at best
That’s pretty much exactly what they are, restrictions on what the current private owner can do implemented by a previous owner. It’s not some obscure concept so you can research it yourself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom