LoD- Team Symbiosis- Main Street USA

comics101

Original Poster
Okie Dokie guys! I figure we might as well get started throwin ideas around and here's the place to do it...

I'm not sure how you guys wanna go about the competition, but I personally wanna bring something very different to each land, even reimagining each land. For Main Street, I figure there's a few ways to do this, although I'm not sure if we HAVE to keep it the turn of the century theme...

1940's Main Street
This design probably wouldn't be too different from current Main St designs. The biggest difference is that the theme would be Small Town USA at the end of WWII...
I think it'd be real neat to travel back to this time of extreme patriotism. I can easily see the Main St Cinema playing news reels and the WWII Donald Duck cartoons, Rosie the Riveter and Uncle Sam posters hung up on lamp posts, soliders coming home from the war celebrating with citizens during the opening ceremony, etc.

I'm not sure how the Carousel of Progress would fit into this interpretation of the land, but then again, I think putting CoP in Main Street period is sort of a stretch...

Jules Verne-y Main Street
I personally think this could be pretty sweet. It'd be kinda like Discoveryland in DLP, only not so much... Maybe more of an "Edison Square". Idk, this one's more up in the air. I haven't really thought it through at all... I think COP would fit perfectly in a land like this...

Of course there's also the 1920's Main St....

The other possiblility is having Main St branch off into many streets, kinda like Walt intended to do in DL. You could have Liberty St, Edison Sq, International St, etc. two of these could be shortcuts to different lands, for example if one street were themed around Jules Verne, it could inlude a plaza with a couple of attractions/restaurants and would serve as a transition to the two lands.

As for COP, if we were to go with a traditional turn of the century Main St, I think it'd work best as almost like a World's Fair exhibit. Something that is litterally saying, "this is how it could be". So then alot of the scenes (especially for the future) could be from the point of a perso living in the turn of the century.

The other option would be to do it like museum dedicated to Walt. I've always thought the attraction could be perfect as a sort of "Walt Disney Story" type thing... the show would start off with the Host talking about how Walt was the ultimate optimist, then the curtains would open, you'd have the turn of the century, 1920's, 40's, 60's, 80's, then for the grand finale (the future), the curtain rises and you see the giant EPCOT model completely restored, with Walt explaining his concept on a projection screen behind it. After the ride, there'd a postshow similar to One Man's Dream...

Anywho, I'm just kinda throwin ideas out there... What do you guys think??

comics101

Original Poster
There's not much there to comment on... I do think that a 1950's Main Street is a decent idea though, but I'm not so sure the name should be changed. Personally I'd prefer to just keep it Main Street USA...

ScorpionX

Walt Disney's Global Carousel of Progress

I have an idea for a new Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress:

Walt Disney's Carousel of Global Progress
"Follow an international family through thousands of years of progress." (according to Park guidemaps)
Scene I:
You enter the Sunnyside Street Opera House, where you take your seat. Then, the show begins with a blue-green curtain displaying the attraction's logo. A narrator (Tim Allen, who will also play the father) then begins to discuss the history of the attraction: The show you are about to see originally debuted by Walt Disney in 1964 at The New York World's Fair as Progressland. There, it played for a year. After that year, it became the most-performed show in the history of American theatre, topping Cats, Wicked, and even The Phantom of the Opera. From there, it was sent to Disneyland in Anaheim, California, from 1967 to 1973. Walt loved the idea of progress, and the wonders of the world. He himself was probably as international as anyone could be. He also loved the idea of inventing new things from time to time. With this idea, he put those inventions together in a show called Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress. Of course, our carousel family has been through many changes in their lives. But, the show still revolves around the same theme: progress. May time begin. The show now rotates into the first peroid of time with "There's A Great, Big, Beautiful Tomorrow" playing in the background, sung by Tim Allen and a lot of Disney characters, ranging from Mickey Mouse to Phineas Flynn.
Scene II:
We are now in a Pharaoh's palace in Ancient Egypt, where he discusses how his personal engineers are hard at work inventing new things for the world. During the middle of his speech, a solar eclipse happens, and he runs away in fear. When the Pharaoh is out of everyone sight, "There's A Great, Big, Beautiful Tomorrow" is sung by the Pharaoh's slaves (in Arabic) and everyone in the introduction.
Scene III:
In Ancient Sparta, a Greek soldier talks about ancient Greek inventions, when the Athenian army attacks Sparta by surprise. They have to fight back, and sing "There's A Great, Big, Beautiful Tomorrow" in Greek.
Scene IV:
We jump 2,000 years into the future and land on the Mayflower, where a Pilgrim explains the inventions of the English Pilgrims heading to America, when someone screams, "Land Ho!" Then, everyone starts celebrating, with our guide singing "There's A Great, Big, Beautiful Tomorrow".
Scene V:
It is now 1864 in Washington DC. Arbraham Lincoln appears to talk about the inventions of such men as Thomas Edison, James Watt, and Benjamin Franklin. He ends this speech stating that "There's A Great, Big, Beautiful Tomorrow" shining at the end of every day.
Scene VI:
In the nifty 50s, a boy and a girl tell us that their teacher in school taught them about inventions from the first half of the 20th Century. This then reminds the kids that "There's A Great, Big, Beautiful Tomorrow."
Scene VII:
We are finally in the 2010s. Here, we find a Japanese businessman telling us about his cool gadgets in his house. He has HDTV, iPhone, a hybrid car, solar panels, and much more! He then picks up his iPod and starts playing "There's A Great, Big, Beautiful Tomorrow". Then, we rotate back into the Introduction room, when the attraction ends.​

Due to some of the props in the attraction, Walt Disney's Carousel of Global Progress will be presented by Apple.

comics101

Original Poster
That's certainly an interesting take on CoP. I suppose if we went with an International theme that could work well...

Then again, I don't think it fits Main Street USA's goal. It's supposed to be just that, Main Street USA. I think the land should probably reflect the small town American values. Obviously there are many ways to do that, but... Idk, lol does that make sense at all? haha on a side note:I think I just took the Jules Verne idea off of the table lol.

Your idea would work great in a place like Epcot though...

ScorpionX

That's certainly an interesting take on CoP. I suppose if we went with an International theme that could work well...

Then again, I don't think it fits Main Street USA's goal. It's supposed to be just that, Main Street USA. I think the land should probably reflect the small town American values. Obviously there are many ways to do that, but... Idk, lol does that make sense at all? haha on a side note:I think I just took the Jules Verne idea off of the table lol.

Your idea would work great in a place like Epcot though...
OK. I guess you are saying that it could work, but at the same time it could not work. Is that right?

ScorpionX

PS, we could also have Center Street serve as shortcuts to Adventureland and Tomorrowland, just like in Tokyo Disneyland.

comics101

Original Poster
OK. I guess you are saying that it could work, but at the same time it could not work. Is that right?

Yeah. Kinda I guess lol but that's just my opinion. I'm certainly not the guy with final say or anything lol, I think we should see what others on the team say too...

PS, we could also have Center Street serve as shortcuts to Adventureland and Tomorrowland, just like in Tokyo Disneyland.

I think shortcuts are great. But I do think we should figure out the layout of the park. Do we want Adventureland closest to Main St? Or do we want Frontierland closest to Main St? Again, I think that's something we should decide as a team, but for me, I vote to have Frontierland closest to Main St. I think FL's theming works better with Main Street than AL's does, and AL works perfect with Fantasyland (Pirates/Neverland).

ScorpionX

I think shortcuts are great. But I do think we should figure out the layout of the park. Do we want Adventureland closest to Main St? Or do we want Frontierland closest to Main St? Again, I think that's something we should decide as a team, but for me, I vote to have Frontierland closest to Main St. I think FL's theming works better with Main Street than AL's does, and AL works perfect with Fantasyland (Pirates/Neverland).
But, having Adventureland closest to Main Street USA was the way the original Disneyland was laid out. I belive we should keep the spirit of Disneyland in California alive in this park.

fabroman

Idea for Main Street REinvention.

Ok, guys i'm getting the hang of this, so please don't shoot me.
Now the idea i'm going to throw out, is going to be insane. But it defines reimagining the place. You don't even have to acknowlege it if you don't want to.

Nightmare Before Christmas Main Street. ( not just for halloween )

In the middle there would be the fountain, all the storefronts would represent the movie. There would be characters and statues from the movie. and possibly on top of the fountain there would be Jack and Sally in the famous holding hands scene.

It's a very rough concept but very good.
If anyone wants to elaborate go right on!! floors open!

I'd appreciate feedback for this one.

comics101

Original Poster
Idk if there is a due date... I think we just turn it in when we're done and then move to the next land...

Sassagoula-Rvr

Alright sorry guys my life has been pretty hectic starting my new summer student job and all haha...anyways I LOVE the idea of the short cut....I was thinking as one possibility that our Main Street be something like that of Disney's America?? Idk I always thought it would be a cool idea with maybe instead of the Emporium a general store and on the town square (or in the hub) the Icon or principal building be a mock up of Independence Hall...and that would be part of the logo...I may have read it wrong...I didn't really spend alot of time reading the project thread I came here first...does it have to be a traditional magic kingdom??

Because your carousel of progress would fit in with this kind of park...and I have LOADS of ideas on how disney could have better implemented this.

Sorry if I am way off...feel free to criticize or tell me to go away lol....I have thick skin.

Thanks!

comics101

Original Poster
I think the Disney's America idea's a good one. I'm startin to wonder if maybe there's a way to combine all the ideas, like sort of have side streets. So there'd be "Main St", then there'd be "Liberty St", then there'd be "International St.", etc. I'll try and draw a quick diagram to show you guys what i'm thinkin...

Sassagoula-Rvr

Yeah I mean that sounds pretty good...its something like what was onetime proposed for Disneyland in Anaheim...I have the sketchs in one of those imagineering books...

I don't want to be pushy at all...but if you guys are interested in my take/redo of the Disney's America park I would be more than willing to do a write up...many of the attractions could be easily "reimagineered" to fit too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom