Location of a fifth park

metscool

Not this thread agian. I thought that this thread was gone in the beginning of this month.

Like I said in the beginning I think that the park will be cool. But I think that it won't happen in our life.

JCAEdge21

Let me preface by saying that I am not trying to argue with you at all and that I know that your remarks about attendance are correct.
I love Disney....I daydream about it and cant wait to immerse myself in the fantasy every year.
But lets be realistic......Disneys rides are superior in all aspects except for absolute thrill.
I don't care how many time you ride btmr or everest or really RnRc...they can not live up to the adrenaline thrill of say a hulk or dueling dragons. These rides are there for viseral thrill only....not much story, not much scenery, just heart pounding, screaming, get off and run around to ride again thrills!
I am the kind of person who needs and loves both....Coaster kinda thrills...Spiderman thrills.....and also Disney completely kinda immersive thriils...i.e ToT, Potc...etc.....
For me a fifth gate of thrill rides would do only one thing....Assure that the extra 2 days out of my Disney Week that i spend at Universal and IoA, would be spent at home on Disney Soil.....Screaming my lungs out on Maleficent "The Ride" ;)

well played sir. touchet

Bullredchaser

Id hardly consider Spiderman and the Mummy ride Six Flags quality with a lack of theming.Primedial Whirl and Toon Town though has the reek of Six Flags on it.I doubt there is a Disney nut that wouldnt pay the money to go to a 5th Disney Park. On another note AK is one of my favorite Theme Parks and believe one more ride would make it a complete park. MGM though has a long way to go but feel the Stunt show is a move in the right direction.

PintoColvig

Id hardly consider Spiderman and the Mummy ride Six Flags quality with a lack of theming. Primedial Whirl and Toon Town though has the reek of Six Flags on it.I doubt there is a Disney nut that wouldnt pay the money to go to a 5th Disney Park.

Very true about Primeva Whirl and the whole Dinorama area. I'm okay with Toon Town to some degree.

And, of course, Disney nuts (including this one) will pay to go to a 5th Disney park. But if that 5th park is a heavy on the thrill rides, there will be many (ie., families with younger children and older family members, et al.) who will skip it and head to the other parks. A thrill ride park just isn't Disney's thing.

Scar Junior

I totally understand what you are saying... But, we don't go to Disney for the thrills.. If I wanted that, I would go to Six Flags.. or Universal... These two parks give you a different experience, one Disney still does deliver... Disney adds a dimension to their rides, SToRY.. not just toss your body around until you puke thrill rides.. I think RNRC is just as thrilling as Hulk.... And Spider-man, what can I say about that ride... As much as I don't like Universal or IOA, I love the Spide-man ride....

I think you are missing the point. I don't mean to speak for someone else... so this is all on me.

While we don't "go to Disney for thrills" that doesn't mean that we, and most of the general public, don't wish for more thrilling experiences to be offered. Look at rides that you had mentioned in earlier posts: TT, M:S, EE, Tot, RnR, Splash, Space.... they have longest lines. The point is that Disney can -- and has for years -- been able to do things like Spiderman. They just choose not to.

I'm not advocating that they focus on thrill rides, but it is a worthy investment. Look at the 80:20 trend of Disney MGM Studios. Do you think if they added another well-themed thrill ride to the opposite sie of the park (say, around the Hunchback/Toy Barn area) that things would even out more? Of course they would!

Why do you (plural, like the vosotros form kind of plural) think that when people say they enjoy IOA's thrill rides that they mean Disney should turn in to Six Flags. I think Disney could use more thrill rides in every park (about 1 each... strategically placed). Why do you (p) think a thrill ride needs to be skull-and-bones? Why can't it be like an Indiana Jones, Spiderman or Journey ride? I guess one of the main points I'm asking too..... is why aregue that someone's opinion on this is wrong?

AEfx

While we don't "go to Disney for thrills" that doesn't mean that we, and most of the general public, don't wish for more thrilling experiences to be offered. Look at rides that you had mentioned in earlier posts: TT, M:S, EE, Tot, RnR, Splash, Space.... they have longest lines. The point is that Disney can -- and has for years -- been able to do things like Spiderman. They just choose not to.

It's because some people put Disney in a box and think it's sacreligious to suggest that they build any ride that a toddler cannot handle.

It's funny, because I don't really consider "Spiderman" a "thrill" ride, just a wonderfully immersive dark ride. I think it's a lot more tame than, say, "Dinosaur" at the AK.

The truth is, no matter what numbers people quote or attendance figures or what have you, there is a market out there that would be attracted to a more "thrilling" Disney. The pundits will jump in and say, "Oh no! Could never work! Animal Kingdom didn't increase general attendance!" like they'd even be near the same thing. AK went after the same audience as MK and MGM, it didn't reach out for a new audience, just the segment of their existing audience who enjoys the Animal theme. Of course it didn't increase overall attendance; it didn't offer anything new in terms of audience, it simply appeased the audience they already had.

Now, I do not think there will be a 5th park anytime soon, nor do I wish WDW to start putting up "Six Flags" rides - they already did that at DCA and carnie rides like that just aren't Disney for me. However, if WDW would stop dipping it's toes and really just make an exciting, immersive, thrilling rides (that may be aimed at 8-and-up instead of the "toddler" crowd) it's really astounding thinking about what could be accomplished.

You will see resistance to this amount Disney-philes on boards such as these because people see "thrill" and have a knee-jerk reaction to it. It's a loaded word around these parts. They don't understand by generally designing for "everyone" they automatically exclude a certain segment of the population who doesn't want as watered-down and experience as possible just so 2 and 3 year olds can ride it.

Everest was definately a step in the right direction; it's just terribly exciting to think what quality attraction Disney could make if they really let loose. Of course, this is a difficult concept for some to understand : what if there WAS this big thrill ride, AND it had Disney-quality theming? Some people just can't wrap their heads around the fact that a true "thrill" ride could be made AND be a quality, themed attraction too.

I feel bad for them, because it must be uncomfortable living in such a tightly closed box.

AEfx

M:SpilotISTC12

I live nerar a Six Flags and there is no theme to its whats so ever. Disney couldnt put up a Six Flags type park because there would be no theme to the park other than thrill rides. That would bring down the Disney quality that Disney is know for if they were to put up a park like Six flags.

PintoColvig

It's because some people put Disney in a box and think it's sacreligious to suggest that they build any ride that a toddler cannot handle.

It's funny, because I don't really consider "Spiderman" a "thrill" ride, just a wonderfully immersive dark ride. I think it's a lot more tame than, say, "Dinosaur" at the AK.

The truth is, no matter what numbers people quote or attendance figures or what have you, there is a market out there that would be attracted to a more "thrilling" Disney. The pundits will jump in and say, "Oh no! Could never work! Animal Kingdom didn't increase general attendance!" like they'd even be near the same thing. AK went after the same audience as MK and MGM, it didn't reach out for a new audience, just the segment of their existing audience who enjoys the Animal theme. Of course it didn't increase overall attendance; it didn't offer anything new in terms of audience, it simply appeased the audience they already had.

Now, I do not think there will be a 5th park anytime soon, nor do I wish WDW to start putting up "Six Flags" rides - they already did that at DCA and carnie rides like that just aren't Disney for me. However, if WDW would stop dipping it's toes and really just make an exciting, immersive, thrilling rides (that may be aimed at 8-and-up instead of the "toddler" crowd) it's really astounding thinking about what could be accomplished.

You will see resistance to this amount Disney-philes on boards such as these because people see "thrill" and have a knee-jerk reaction to it. It's a loaded word around these parts. They don't understand by generally designing for "everyone" they automatically exclude a certain segment of the population who doesn't want as watered-down and experience as possible just so 2 and 3 year olds can ride it.

Everest was definately a step in the right direction; it's just terribly exciting to think what quality attraction Disney could make if they really let loose. Of course, this is a difficult concept for some to understand : what if there WAS this big thrill ride, AND it had Disney-quality theming? Some people just can't wrap their heads around the fact that a true "thrill" ride could be made AND be a quality, themed attraction too.

I feel bad for them, because it must be uncomfortable living in such a tightly closed box.

AEfx
I agree with much of what you say here. Personally, I enjoy the thrill rides and would like to see the current parks get a few more. My disagreement is with those who advocate a 5th park that focuses on thrill rides. Inevitably, they will point to IOA or Six Flags as a model.

I'd love to see Disney create some more heavily-themed thrill rides. I just don't want to see them crowded into one park. Spread them out in the parks that already exist to compliment the "family-friendly" attractions.

brucie

If you look at how long it took between epcot and animal kingdom, as much as another park would be cool, I don't think it will happen soon. There is lots of room to grow in animal kingdom still!

head mouse

WOW, I have NEVER noticed that you can see ToT from EPCOT. I'll have to look next trip.

BTW What the heck can they make a new park into???? They are kinda running out of ideas.

How about "Broke Kingdom" for all thoe speople that just spent $4000 for a family of 5 to visit the parks. LOL

PintoColvig

BTW What the heck can they make a new park into???? They are kinda running out of ideas.
Really? :lookaroun Out of ideas? :lookaroun I think they'll run out of money first before they run out of ideas. From what a few of the imagineer insiders around here tell us, we only see a small fraction of what they dream up.

Epcotrob

I live nerar a Six Flags and there is no theme to its whats so ever. Disney couldnt put up a Six Flags type park because there would be no theme to the park other than thrill rides. That would bring down the Disney quality that Disney is know for if they were to put up a park like Six flags.

Of course theres no theming at a "six flags" park. They cant theme rides if they have to keep building bigger and better Thrill machines for us Coaster Junkies. Yes I said Us because I am a coaster Junkie and live for thrill machines. I also love Disney for the magic that only they can make inside their parks.

I do believe that Disney could put up a "six flags" type of park. By that I mean a park with major coasters and other assorted attractions. Now if Disney did decide to do a park or a few rides like this. I would almost be willing to bet my pass that they would theme the heck out of it.

I would love to see a huge wooden coaster in Animal Kingdom. If my memory serves me corectly was there not one in the "Beastly Kingdom" section that never got built. I think it was themed too.

I do think the villans would be the proper theming for some bigger thrill rides. I for one would like to see Disney do a Suspended Looping coaster called "Flight on Bald Mountain".

niteobsrvr

Disney's development is now focused internationally. They have even publicly said as much. I would not go out on a limb and say there will never be a fifth park but I think it could be a very long time before thought is given to it in a serious manner. Tourism growth at theme parks has begun to stagnate in America but demand overseas is quite good.

I think that fact that parks in this coutnry are consolidating under large umbrella companies says a lot. Not too mention, the fact that this consolidation is resulting in park closures around the country for thos venues that were underperforming. How many amusement parks do we need within a 100 miles of each other?

M:SpilotISTC12

Of course theres no theming at a "six flags" park. They cant theme rides if they have to keep building bigger and better Thrill machines for us Coaster Junkies. Yes I said Us because I am a coaster Junkie and live for thrill machines. I also love Disney for the magic that only they can make inside their parks.

I do believe that Disney could put up a "six flags" type of park. By that I mean a park with major coasters and other assorted attractions. Now if Disney did decide to do a park or a few rides like this. I would almost be willing to bet my pass that they would theme the heck out of it.

I would love to see a huge wooden coaster in Animal Kingdom. If my memory serves me corectly was there not one in the "Beastly Kingdom" section that never got built. I think it was themed too.

I do think the villans would be the proper theming for some bigger thrill rides. I for one would like to see Disney do a Suspended Looping coaster called "Flight on Bald Mountain".

Your definately right about the Magic being only inside Disney parks. But as far as roller coasters go, I could see AK becoming a big coaster park not like Six Flags but having more coasters than any of the other parks. Because of AK's theme they could theme more coasters there than could at Epcot or MK. MK doesnt need any more coasters. MGM could have more but I dont think there could be alot more ideas for coasters in a movie setting. I think what would make the public happy is making the newer parks(AK and MGM) into more of a thrill park but still keeping the family in mind and having MK and Epcot as more of historical point of Disney and still keeping the theme that Walt gave. It would please the people who want the historical Disney and the people who want thrill.

Where were my manners? Welcome to the boards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom