Local Hotels Upset Over Disney's Decision To Yank Brochures

napnet

Original Poster
WDW takes brochures out of hotels, businesses across state

It makes since... i never understood why up in Tallahassee hotels had Disney brochures at this day and age with the internet everywhere. I've seen them in Pensacola hotels as well.

Hotel lobby racks filled with tourist brochures advertising whales, gators and horses are now missing one very significant critter: the Mouse.

Walt Disney World has pulled its colorful brochures from thousands of hotels, motels, restaurants and businesses throughout the state, maintaining they do little to attract visitors staying at other Florida tourist destinations.

Disney officials call it a business decision, but the move has angered some hoteliers and tourism executives. They say their guests have been inconvenienced by the absence of information about Florida's most popular attraction.

"Shock; that was my initial reaction," said Bob Davis, president and chief executive officer of the Hotel Motel Association of Volusia County, which represents more than 100 hotels. "I am questioning why they would not want 8 million visitors who come to Daytona Beach and Volusia County every year. I think they made a poor decision."

"We made a business decision," said Bill Warren, Disney's vice president of public affairs. "Our research indicated that the brochures that were in the hotels were not the reason for people to come to Disney. We are always evaluating the effectiveness of our marketing, and if something is not effective, it doesn't necessarily make sense to keep investing in it."

Steve Baker, an Orlando theme-park consultant and former Disney executive, said the move is in line with the company's increased emphasis on getting visitors to stay at Disney-owned hotels and spend several days visiting all of the company's theme parks.

"A hotel guest is a much more lucrative guest than a day guest," Baker said.

Disney ordered distributors to remove the brochures by Sept. 30, 2006, and destroy all of the remaining ones to ensure they would not become outdated.

Brochures remain in the Orlando and Kissimmee areas and at a few tourist information centers throughout the state.

Warren would not say how much the company spent on the brochures.

Even with all the information available on the Internet and through devices such as cell phones, PDAs and BlackBerrys, tourism officials say low-tech brochures remain a staple of vacations. They're easy to produce, they can be distributed easily, and they're packed with essential information such as hours and directions. They also save time for busy hotel employees.

Davis of the Volusia hotel association was so upset at losing the brochures that he wrote a letter to Walt Disney World President Meg Crofton, telling her that he was appalled at the decision and asking her to reverse it. He received a call and a letter from Ed Fouche, a Disney senior vice president.

"While we value all guests regardless of where they are lodged," Fouche wrote, "we've elected to distribute our brochures throughout the state at venues such as AAA offices, Florida Turnpike Service Plazas and Florida Welcome Centers to accommodate those who need information while they are en route to Florida or traveling within the state."

Davis is still not satisfied and plans to write Bob Iger, president and chief executive officer of Walt Disney Co.

"The problem is the hotels are absolutely furious that they can't have Disney brochures," said Terry McDonough, whose company, Brochure Displays Inc. in Port Orange, distributed Disney information to hotels for 34 years. "I have never heard of anything like this. I can't fathom a reason, and I don't even know how to explain it to people."

The fallout from Disney's move is not limited to Daytona Beach.

Susan Teller, the front-office manager at a Sleep Inn hotel in Clearwater, said that every week guests ask for Disney brochures.

"Now that there is no brochure, people are kind of like, 'Could you look this up for me; could you look that up for me?' " Teller said. "As much as I want to help people, it's kind of hard when I have five people standing in front of me waiting to pull this information up on the computer. And the computer is slow. They get frustrated and say, 'We'll just go to Busch Gardens instead.' I've had that happen to me twice."

Drake Decker, owner of Florida Suncoast Tourism Promotions in Largo, the company that provides brochures to Teller's hotel, said that since removing the Disney brochures from about 1,800 to 2,000 locations on Florida's west coast, his employees have gotten a lot of complaints and questions.

"As soon as we pulled them from the racks, we had a deluge of calls and questions," he said. "There has been quite a bit of dissatisfaction about not having the materials."

Rhonda Murphy, a spokeswoman for Universal Orlando, said her company has no plans to scale back its brochure distribution.

"We think brochures are a great way for Florida residents and day-trippers to learn more about our parks," Murphy said.

Baker, the theme-park consultant, said although brochures are especially important for smaller attractions such as Gatorland, Arabian Nights and water parks -- they are not essential to Disney.

"Everybody knows Disney," Baker said. "It's not like a tertiary attraction that has to let people know it is open."

Warren said Disney is not taking any visitors -- including one-day visitors -- for granted.

But Davis remembers an era before Disney had very many hotels, when day guests from places such as Daytona Beach were vital.

"When they first opened up, we had 36 Greyhound buses going back and forth to Disney from State Road A1A," said Davis, who has been part of Daytona Beach's tourism industry since 1966. "When they had [few] hotels, we supplied them with a product, and now they forgot about us."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...rl-vdisney1007jan10,0,5642161.story?track=rss

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Makes a lot of sense to me. Disney had to be spending tons of money on those brochures state wide with little to no financial gain.

radiohost

This decision may look good on paper, but may end up back firing in the end. Sure the brochures did little to advertise for the parks, but what they were was a source of INFORMATION.. And you have to admit, they were the best looking brochures on the entire shelf!!

Another reason why I liked seeing the brochures was the fact that our family while driving from Ohio would always be able to stop by the Florida welcome center and grab the disney brochures to look up what is new with the resort. Of course theres the internet, but a family visiting there relatives in Miami and only wants to go to WDW for a few days wont be as informed now of whats new with the park...

And finally,

No more brochures right??...guests at hotels across the state see that theres no brochures, they go to the front desk and ask the person working for a Disney brochure, front desk person says "I'm sorry but Disney doesnt carry there literature in any hotels across the state of Florida anymore"...Guests says, "Well why's that?"...And the front desk person politely just shrugs their shoulders....Now this makes the guest confused...They wanted there freaking brochure!!! Or in worse case, which I see happening now in retaliation... the front desk person says.."Sorry we dont have Disney brochures..But we do have Universal brochures over here!!!!" Radiohost:cool:

napnet

Original Poster
This decision may look good on paper, but may end up back firing in the end. Sure the brochures did little to advertise for the parks, but what they were was a source of INFORMATION.. And you have to admit, they were the best looking brochures on the entire shelf!!

Another reason why I liked seeing the brochures was the fact that our family while driving from Ohio would always be able to stop by the Florida welcome center and grab the disney brochures to look up what is new with the resort. Of course theres the internet, but a family visiting there relatives in Miami and only wants to go to WDW for a few days wont be as informed now of whats new with the park...

And finally,

No more brochures right??...guests at hotels across the state see that theres no brochures, they go to the front desk and ask the person working for a Disney brochure, front desk person says "I'm sorry but Disney doesnt carry there literature in any hotels across the state of Florida anymore"...Guests says, "Well why's that?"...And the front desk person politely just shrugs their shoulders....Now this makes the guest confused...They wanted there freaking brochure!!! Or in worse case, which I see happening now in retaliation... the front desk person says.."Sorry we dont have Disney brochures..But we do have Universal brochures over here!!!!" Radiohost:cool:

No, the report says...

Brochures remain in the Orlando and Kissimmee areas and at a few tourist information centers throughout the state.

So they will be at the local Orlando hotels, just not ones in Key West or Jacksonville where they probably aren't effective at all. They will also be at the Florida welcome centers it seems.

GothMickey

Ok, if you do not know Disney is in Florida then you are from another planet. If someone if visiting family in Miami and may want to go to Disney World one day, wouldn't you think they PLANNED that out ahead of time? Then they don't need a brochure. That is what WDWMagic, Disneyworld.com and other Disney fan sites are for. Plus, there are a million and one billboards on every highway in Florida. Brochures are a waste.

Disneyfanman

This makes complete and total business sense to me. It must have looked great on a spreadsheet because it's a cost savings that has absolutely no negative affect on a guest. Disney should make more decisions like this one. Brochures have been around since before people really knew about Disney, and before the internet. They will still be readily available in Orlando, at the travel centers, and anyone who wants one can get one. Now take the savings, Disney, and fix the freakin' Haunted Mansion sound!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I would question the choice to remove them from anywhere along the I-4 corridor or any of WDW's other main feeder roadways. People do fly into Tampa and daytrip to WDW. But, the article doesn't clarfiy exactly where the boundaries are.

netenyahoo

This makes sense to me and it seems funny how mad that guy was in the article. The only thing would be that the hotels should have basic Disney information available at the front desk if by chance someone asks. I highly doubt they have that many tourists in Miami or Jacksonville inquiring about going to Disney World. If you are going to Florida on vacation don't you think you would plan ahead of time to go to WDW.

CTXRover

The Turnpike plazas still had them as of 12 days ago...

They aren't being removed from the Travel plazas or turnpike stops, just hotels outside of the Orlando area that according to Disney provides very few guests to their parks anymore. From the above article:

"we've elected to distribute our brochures throughout the state at venues such as AAA offices, Florida Turnpike Service Plazas and Florida Welcome Centers to accommodate those who need information while they are en route to Florida or traveling within the state."

The decision is business based and makes sense on that level. Disney World has become more about the several day visitor than the occasional day guest from hotels 2 or more hours away. Their decisions to go to Magic Your way tickets that get cheaper the more you stay and extra incentives to stay on property are working very, very well and are proof that this business model works.....at least for now.

coasterphil

Everyone in this thread seems to have no idea how the general population works. Not everyone in the country obesesses over their vacations like those here at the site do. They may be in Florida, have an unexpected free day, and be interested in making the trip to WDW from their hotel on the coast. Without a brochure to give them the info they need, they may no longer be interested. People still like to be spotaneous on their vacations, although I assume you guys have forgotten all about that since you've been talking to the people on here for so long.

JeffH

If they want/need them why don't they buy them?

If the hotels need them to keep the guests off their backs, then why don't they buy them?
That would be perfect for Disney, then the (non-Disney) hotels might increase their rates to cover the additional cost for the brochures giving us yet another reason to stay at a cheaper and better Disney resort.

Timekeeper

As posted on MSNBC:

ORLANDO, Fla. - There's now a glaring hole on hotel lobby racks filled with tourist brochures.

Disney has decided to pull its glossy fliers from hotels, restaurants and businesses throughout the state, WESH 2 News reported.

Disney officials said they do not think it pays to advertise the popular tourist attraction on brochure racks, but it's a marketing move that's angering some people.

Bob Davis, the president of Volusia County's Hotel-Motel Association, is upset over Disney's decision to do away with the brochures.

He said he feels it's a slap in the face and very inconvenient for the county's annual 8 million visitors looking for information to take a day trip to the park.

"We'll send them over to the brochure rack with every other attraction except Disney. That's where we'll send them. It's Disney's call," Davis said.

Disney said the brochures cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to print and distribute and in this day and age of the information superhighway, brochures just aren't worth it.

"What we're hearing from our guests is that our guests are getting their information on the Internet and planning their vacation prior to their arrival so that's why the brochures aren't as effective as they once were," said Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Polak.

As of Sept. 30, Disney demanded that all hotels, except for those in the immediate area around the parks, to pull the brochures from displays and to destroy them so that the information doesn't become outdated.

Motels such as the Golden Link offer high-speed Internet access, so owner Ron Matay said he isn't too worried about guests finding their way to Disney.

"They're probably right as far as here in Central Florida goes. That same brochure in a rack might do better somewhere like New York or somewhere like that where people aren't sure and they'll take a bunch of things home," Matay said.

Still, tourism promoters said they hope Disney will change its mind and start marketing Mickey in their businesses once again.

Davis said he will write to Disney executives in California to voice his concerns.

Disney officials said the brochures will still be available at welcome centers and Turnpike plazas around the state.

See original article post here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16567193/

Tk:brick:

jorgetheviking

I like to look at the brochures, and they're taking that away from me. Just like they took away Alien Encounter, Mr. Toads Wild Ride, 20,000 leauges, and the living seas(now polluted with nemo garbage.)

bigorangeandy

I hope that they will keep them at he Welcome Centers, I always enjoyed getting some so the kids (and me later) would have something to look at.

RonAnnArbor

Not for nothing, but I personally think that this is inane - who really cares about brochures?

I own a company in Michigan and we did away with brochures two years ago.

That is the way of the world.

slappy magoo

Everyone in this thread seems to have no idea how the general population works. Not everyone in the country obesesses over their vacations like those here at the site do. They may be in Florida, have an unexpected free day, and be interested in making the trip to WDW from their hotel on the coast. Without a brochure to give them the info they need, they may no longer be interested. People still like to be spotaneous on their vacations, although I assume you guys have forgotten all about that since you've been talking to the people on here for so long.

But, according to the article, so few people staying in those hotels were making the decision to make a day or brief trip to WDW, it didn't make economic sense to keep printing all those extra brochures and deliver them to those outside-Orlando-area hotels.

Now time may prove that the brochures in those hotels were more effective than WDW think. Personally, I think they're probably more effective than even the CONSUMER thinks. What I envision is people, for various reasons, staying in hotels in cities within an hour of Orlando. Obviously, they know WDW exists, and they have a vague idea of how to get there, but a day trip wasn't originally in their plans. But then they see the brochure and it lights the fire in the hotel guests' inner child. OR, the hotel guests have children, who've been begging to go to WDW anyway, and then when they see the brochure, they go bats*** crazy. "DISNEY WORLD! CAN WE GO CAN WE CAN WE CAN WE PLEEEEEASE?" At that point, either the parents' resistance is worn down, OR they really want to go too. So they go, but they don't really attribute it to the brochure, because the thought of going was always around. The brochure may not be the primary source of info, it's just the catalyst. Like I said, time may prove if this is the case, AND if the loss of that kind of guest justifies bringing those brochures back in the hotels.

Oh, and coasterphil, might I add you're one of the "you guys" who are on the boards, too? Don't be getting all I'm-better-than-the-rest-of-you, Mr. 337 posts. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom