Local Hotels Upset Over Disney's Decision To Yank Brochures

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
Not for nothing, but I personally think that this is inane - who really cares about brochures?

I own a company in Michigan and we did away with brochures two years ago.

That is the way of the world.

Agreed! Although it's fun to look at brochures, this is a business decision that totally makes sense. When you can get all the information you need on the Internet, there's no sense in Disney spending all that money printing and distributing brochures. I would rather they spend that money on the stuff we really care about. Heck, for what they've paid for brochures, we could have had a second Yeti! :lol:

GrowingUpDisney

I can see why this would make financial sense on Disney's part, but I think the decision to remove the brochures from hotels that are within 1 hours driving distance is a bad idea.

For the 1st 20 years of my life, I went to Disney at least once a year. During those 20 years, we NEVER stayed at a Disney hotel or even in Orlando for that matter. We always stayed in Daytona Beach and drove over for a few days. It is only 45 - 50 min.

When I got married (at 20) my husband and I bought Disney Vacation Club and I would never stay at the beach now. I can however see how a family would like to get both a Disney and beach vacation in and would find it convenient to have the Disney brochures on hand.

On the other hand, now that we stay on property maybe the day people wont come as often and that could shorten our wait times.:lol: Just Kidding!

MickeyTigg

Makes a lot of sense to me. Disney had to be spending tons of money on those brochures state wide with little to no financial gain.

I totally agree with this...it makes total sense to me.

This decision may look good on paper, but may end up back firing in the end. Sure the brochures did little to advertise for the parks, but what they were was a source of INFORMATION.. And you have to admit, they were the best looking brochures on the entire shelf!!

Information? From the brochures? These are advertising and nothing else.

It makes absolutely no sense to spend money on advertising if you're not getting any business from it.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I've been thinking (terrible thing, I know)...

Disney has reached a price point and style of function that brochures don't make sense.

Going to WDW is not a side trip. It is not pleasent nor enjoyable that way. It extremely expensive to do so.

Do you really want to wake up from your hotel at 11am-ish in Tampa, drive for an hour to WDW, pay $65+ to get into the MK, visit for just a few hours, then drive back to the hotel in a rental car?

I'm going to say that 99% of the population of America would find this a rip off.

The ticket system is against this. More days makes Disney a decent priced vacation - not a side trip. I think Disney knows this, and knows it has the guests anyways, and isn't going to bother anymore.

Scar Junior

If it'll save money and doesn't deter from the parks I'm all for it. It's better they cut these expenses than maintenance expenses or employee salaries/benefits.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
If it'll save money and doesn't deter from the parks I'm all for it. It's better they cut these expenses than maintenance expenses or employee salaries/benefits.

How would it "deter from the parks" to remove brochures from local hotels?:veryconfu

Scar Junior

How would it "deter from the parks" to remove brochures from local hotels?:veryconfu

What are you talking about? It doesn't.

My comment was an opinion I have about cost-cutting. As long as something doesn't deter from the experience, go ahead... trim the fat.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
What are you talking about? It doesn't.

My comment was an opinion I have about cost-cutting. As long as something doesn't deter from the experience, go ahead... trim the fat.

Oh okay, I misunderstood. It sounded like you were saying there was a possibility that removing brochures from local hotels would somehow deter from the parks, and I didn't get how that could be.

MainSt1993

I second that emotion. It's not like people don't know WDW is there. The money is best spent elsewhere (like the new Cinderella Suite!!).

PintoColvig

I like to look at the brochures, and they're taking that away from me. Just like they took away Alien Encounter, Mr. Toads Wild Ride, 20,000 leauges, and the living seas(now polluted with nemo garbage.)
Try your local Tampa AAA. They should have plenty. Of course, since you are a "prowd Universal Orlando preferred passholder", you will obviously be making some trips to Orlando. Just pop into one of the local hotels and grab as many Disney brochures as you like. :p

JimboJones123

I've been sitting on this for a day.

Disney has CLEARLY w/MYW said to the consumer that they would much rather get a $4000 vacation out of you than a $250 day at their parks.

Day trip isn't the business they are seeking as much anymore.

Day trip guests are on "vacation" at very popular times of the year anyways. Beach goers/people w/family visit Florida mostly during "heavy" vactation times around holidays and summer. From what we saw this holiday, Disney isn't hurting for business at these times. So again, keeping guests away when the parks are already turning away people isn't such a bad thing. Free Dining and big hotel discounts reflect this also. These all take place outside of "normal" vacation times.

The downside of this is the long term results. I know, even since I was a kid, it was pick up a pile and see what we can do "next trip" as well. The big question will be people that "generally" visit the beach or relatives that see the Disney Brochure and decide to plan the "next" trip as a Disney vacation. They may potentially lose many not yet "long term" customers because they will never see what WDW really has to offer.

Many consumers still think of WDW as a day trip, and without the Brochure, they may never concider it for a full week vacation.

So in the short term this is a great idea. Trim the fat and focus marketing on guests that want a "Disney Vacation". But in the long term, are the potentially losing a key funnel of bringing potential "regular guests" in for their first trip?

Again, what is $250 in Disney's pocket for maybe a few hundred guests daily (if that, which will choose to not go just because of this)? But will this costs them tens of thousands in future trip goers? How many "regulars" (annually, every 2/3 years) really are converted from the beach crew anyways though?

Risk/Reward. Research found that this was worth the risk. Again, if parks are already filling up -- why reach out to tell more people to come but not get in (yes, I understand that I am refrencing the holiday season, and yes I have said before that's when a majority of "daytrippers" do come anyways)?

PintoColvig

It's not like they are cutting out all of their marketing, just this one. There will still be the national and regional commercials, the Disney networks, billboards, newspapers and magazines, email, and the ever present internet marketing. I'm no marketing expert but it seems to me that advertising by brochure isn't the most cost effective approach to mass marketing. Kudos to them for being willing to cut out unnecessary or less than effective methods of promotion.

Gucci65

I go to the beach for summer vacation, usually Dayona and I will continue to drive over to Orlando for my day-trip. So the loss of brochures mean nothing to me.

However, I have watched many guests pick up those brochures and plan day-trips that they had not thought of beforehand - esp the Canadians.

coasterphil

Oh, and coasterphil, might I add you're one of the "you guys" who are on the boards, too? Don't be getting all I'm-better-than-the-rest-of-you, Mr. 337 posts. :D

I know, its just that I haven't lost sight of what most people do in preparation for their vacations. I've yet to meet a single person in the real world who feels the need to have every day set with a schedule. That tells me there are plenty of people who could be convinced to make a quick trip to WDW on a whim.

Brian Noble

But in the long term, are the potentially losing a key funnel of bringing potential "regular guests" in for their first trip?
I'm guessing the people with those little electronic clipboards ask Guests what brought them to Disney that day, so I'm guessing they've got a pretty good idea of the number of people who walk through the gates in response to a brochure.

Disney is nothing if not fanatical about measuring these sorts of things.

Gucci65

So Canadians don't typically plan their vacations? :lookaroun I didn't realize that was a national quirk :p

:lol:

They plan on going to the beach in Florida, BUT when they realize WDW is only an hour away - most decide to include a day visit during their vacation. (The hotel we stayed at for the last 10 years confirms this behavior).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom