Living With Food Allergies/Warning Labels

BeachClubVillas

With the oil thing, I have the same reaction whether I eat something with an almond in it, or something with almond oil in it. It could be different with peanuts though. I'm just allergic to tree nuts, so I'm not really sure.

I read in an earlier post that someone's allergist recommended trying out different kinds of nuts to see if they were allergic. That really surprises me! Is that person anaphylactic? If so, he could die by trying out nuts. Like, I know I'm allergic to almonds and walnuts because I've eaten them and gone into anaphylaxis. I assume I'm allergis to cashews and pecans because they're from the same family. I would never test that theory though.

MouseMadness

I can't imagine anybody suggesting to test whether your'e allergic or not by eating the nuts. That's crazy. Now, with Mallory, he said that we could do taht with the eggs eventually, but IN his office and ready to jump into action should there be a problem. We never ended up having to do that, she outgrew it quite well. :) (Very well... this mornign she ate the yellows out of my hard boiled eggs. :lol: We work well together, I like the whites, and she likes the yellows)

lunalovegoddess

Original Poster
MouseMadness said:
Which reminds me.. I recall Susan Powter (remember her? white blonde flat top hair, the diet lady for 10 years ago or so?) but she suggested telling people in restaurants that you're "allergic" to fat, so they don't add extra oil to your food. :rolleyes: :mad:

*clutches her cheeks* "STOP THE INSANITY!!!"

:lol:

AliciaLuvzDizne

BeachClubVillas said:
With the oil thing, I have the same reaction whether I eat something with an almond in it, or something with almond oil in it. It could be different with peanuts though. I'm just allergic to tree nuts, so I'm not really sure.

I read in an earlier post that someone's allergist recommended trying out different kinds of nuts to see if they were allergic. That really surprises me! Is that person anaphylactic? If so, he could die by trying out nuts. Like, I know I'm allergic to almonds and walnuts because I've eaten them and gone into anaphylaxis. I assume I'm allergis to cashews and pecans because they're from the same family. I would never test that theory though.
:wave: same as me
(yay?)

anyways
when i was little we learned about my nut alergy because my preschool was making bird feeders using peanut butter as the "glue"

if a school did that NOW forget it! they'd be shut down so fast.

MouseMadness

We had one do it just a few years ago. :lookaroun I forget what Mallory used... maybe marshmallow fluff? I don't remember. But they still did it. :lol:

Yellow Shoes

AliciaLuvzDizne said:
:wave: same as me
(yay?)

anyways
when i was little we learned about my nut alergy because my preschool was making bird feeders using peanut butter as the "glue"

if a school did that NOW forget it! they'd be shut down so fast.

Not necessarily.

If there is no one in the class with a peanut allergy, why couldn't they use peanut butter for the bird feeder?

AliciaLuvzDizne

Yellow Shoes said:
Not necessarily.

If there is no one in the class with a peanut allergy, why couldn't they use peanut butter for the bird feeder?
cuz then they'd have to let all the classes do it
and maybe room 301 has a kid with an allergy
thats not fair

pinkrose

MouseMadness said:
We had one do it just a few years ago. :lookaroun I forget what Mallory used... maybe marshmallow fluff? I don't remember. But they still did it. :lol:
Unless there's a child in my class with a peanut allergy that year, we do the bird feeder with peanut butter. If there's a child with the allergy, we just do the pipe cleaner with Cheerios.

lunalovegoddess

Original Poster
McDonald's Fries Contain Allergens
New ingredients labels include wheat, dairy, according to newspaper
By MSNBC
Original Article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11326937/

McDonald's french fries contain "wheat and milk ingredients" that could pose problems for people who have allergies to these substances, a report in the Wall Street Journal said Monday.

The world�s largest restaurant chain had previously denied that its french fries contained ingredients that cause allergic reactions in people sensitive to wheat or dairy products. Millions of Americans suffer allergies or sensitivities to certain foods, with symptoms ranging from mild discomfort, rashes to life-threatening.

McDonald's said the change in its food labels were to conform to new federal rules which took effect on Jan. 1, the newspaper reported. The federal law requires food labels to list whether ingredients contain peanuts, milk, wheat, eggs, fish or other substances that could sicken people with allergies.

McDonald's said there has been no change in the way the fries are prepared.

Previously, McDonald's said the flavoring in its french fries was safe for people with dietary allergies, according to the Journal.

The disclosure closely follows McDonald's announcement last week that its fries contain a third more trans fats than it previously knew, citing results of a new testing method the fast food company began using in December. Trans fats are commonly found in fried foods, some margarines and snack foods and can raise blood levels of bad cholesterol.

lunalovegoddess

Original Poster
A good source of information for those with milk allergies/intolerances...
points out how kosher a product may be, the differences in labelling, etc.

http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html
(taken from above website)

ALERT

Duncan Hines is now adding MILK to all its cakes and frostings. Unless enough of us phone in to complain, it's going to be time to learn how to make our own. You can call them at 1-800-562-3062, but if doesnt' work, well ...sorry, folks!

(This is a particular problem for my daughter, since it is one of the few companies we have grown to depend on for birthdays and holidays.)

EDIT: OK so I called the number given, and after about five prompts on the automated system, I spoke with a customer service representative. She said:
All of our products are made with milk products.
When asked how long since this had taken effect, she said:
Three months ago.
For me, this means that for the past three months, it is a good thing that I haven't bought any cake mix. I almost picked some up for Valentine's Day this year, because she loves to make strawberry cupcakes.

So basically, even if you call the number listed, there is nothing you can do about it.

*angry mob*

DisneyPhD

I saw the Mcdonalds thing on the news today. They have never given Lily a problem. She eats a lot of french fries actually because we are trying to fatten her up and so much of fater food is also dairy and she can't eat it.

Ok the Duncan Hines thing. I am REALLY disapointed. I have a number of DH cake foods, frostings and browines that does not have milk in it and she can eat it. Why would they chagne the recipe when the old one was just fine and people with milk allergies could eat it. UGH that bugs me. :mad:

I am going to call, I am very dispointed. I think I will send an email too. I think I need to buy some quick before the new ones get on the shelf.

I was shoping at cost co the other day and read the lable before buying a roasted chicken. It said it contained Cassin a milk proten. Why would they do that? Why add it to perfectly good chicken (hello, just roasted chicken, not cheesy chicken) so many people can't eat it. I was really mad. At least they labled it, but still! :mad: :fork:

The good news is her allergies are seeming to be getting better. I hope next year at this time it won't be an issue for us! :)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I like WDW and allergies. They always accomodate my lactose intolerance, peanut allergy, seafood/shellfish allergy, and my addiction to sugar and caffeine.

WDW=Teh ish

DisneyPhD

Well I called too. Just to complain. I hope enough people do. It is dumb to change it so people who could eat if before can't. (seems rather to spite them, I am sure they will not taste or sell any better because of this move.) Pop tarts had actually changed to add milk (or were going to) and then changed back.

She said she would forward my comments.

Oh well.

:brick:

lunalovegoddess

Original Poster
mkt said:
I like WDW and allergies. They always accomodate my lactose intolerance, peanut allergy, seafood/shellfish allergy, and my addiction to sugar and caffeine.

WDW=Teh ish

Lactose intolerant here, but thankfully my other allergies are drug-related. Which bites for an entirely different reason.
WDW is very good about accomodation.

lunalovegoddess

Original Poster
DisneyPhD said:
Well I called too. Just to complain. I hope enough people do. It is dumb to change it so people who could eat if before can't. (seems rather to spite them, I am sure they will not taste or sell any better because of this move.) Pop tarts had actually changed to add milk (or were going to) and then changed back.

She said she would forward my comments.

Oh well.

:brick:

Thankfully, Pop Tarts mainly are milk-free. Certain flavors are off-limits, though.

DisneyPhD

lunalovegoddess said:
Thankfully, Pop Tarts mainly are milk-free. Certain flavors are off-limits, though.

Yes, but rasberry are ok along with a lot of the furit ones. DD loves them, but makes a mess with them. One of the few breakfest "treats" we can have. That means pop tarts at WDW! :)

Thanks the the links you provided. I had seen them before, but haven't looked at them for a while and am reading up on things. However you know what they say.......... a little knowalge can be dangerous. She is not the typical food alleries child (no other alleries, or health issues at all, no egisma, very healthly over all.) Breast feed excuslivily, I feel like I did everything right and she still ended up with this. I am still a little made at the nurses at the hosptial that insited she needed 2 ounch of formlua when she was being warmed after she was born. I told them no formula. I always wonder if we could of delayed this more if she never had it, some of what I am reading agrees with that. Oh well, you just don't know and can't go back. :animwink:

talkinghands

MouseMadness said:
I remember somebody... may have even been one of you guys... saying that a boyfriend of a family member had said he was allergic to onions. Well, someone assumed he was just ssaying it because he didn't like them, and put them in a dish. :rolleyes: Bet that was a fun apology to listen to. :lol:
This happened to my daughter. Her ex-boyfriend told his Mom that she is allergic to onions and to be sure not to use them in anything she was making that night. Mom decided that she would use onion salt instead of onions. My daughter had one bit and became flushed and started having problems breathing. Rushed to a local hospital rehab center which had an emergency entrance only to be told that they didn['t have an ER. Fortunately there were EMTs there to transport a patient for something non-emergency and when they took one look at my daughter, loaded her in the ambulance and took her to the ER at another hospital. We were told if they had not she would not have survived.
She is allergic to onions, diary, shellfish and peanuts. She became Vegan and is doing much better that way.
I'm allergic to mango, shrimp, nutrasweet and possibly to sugar alcohols (react to even small doses with massive gastrointestinal problems) Well being diabetic that is a real problem as the only sweetener I don't react to is Splenda. I'm another label reader. You wouldn't believe how many sugar free items use nutrasweet and/or sugar alcohols.

AliciaLuvzDizne

mkt said:

WDW=Teh ish
yes, I love it (LOVE IT) when they send the chef out to talk to you about the menu and stuff!!

I always feel safe, even if there is SOME nutty stuff on the menu..

AliciaLuvzDizne

Ok...
This weekend Adam and I were in DC
We met up with some friends of his and the 4 of us went out for Mexican...
one of my FAVORITES

I couldnt order a thing on the menu. Each salad had a different nut in it, and I'm sure I could have asked for no nuts...but since there were so many around, how are you supposed to feel safe?

Also anything fried, was fried in peanut oil! I havent seen that before, at least not where it wasnt fully disclosed on the wall or menu or something... I just happened to ask, because one thing on the menu mentioned being fried in peanut oil.

I was pretty disapointed.

There is a Mexican place locally that serves a lot of peanut sauces and stuff, which is odd to me? I didnt think Mexican places were big on the nuts?

lunalovegoddess

Original Poster
copied from PML thread...

Regarding allergies and airlines...

When we flew down last December on Song, I dealt with very conscientous flight attendants and customer service people. First of all, we had the two cats to transport due to the move to Florida. Secondly, there was Bryanna's milk allergy to consider. The woman in customer service that I spoke to was very understanding and gave me a list of snacks that were served on board. She made sure that the pilot and flight attendants were aware of Bryanna's allergy and that she carries an epi-pen jr. for emergencies. They understood fully that an epi-pen merely buys the person time to get medical attention. The flight attendants provided us with sterile wet-napkins to clean up with. They also informed me that one of the soaps in the restroom has cocoa butter in it, and offered a small bottle of hand sanitizer in case. I thanked them, and let them know that cocoa butter is made from plants and therefore safe for her to use. The flight attendants let me know that it is a new routine to ask if children have a peanut allergy when they board a plane, just in case.
More airlines should behave this way.

Alicia, sorry to hear about the utter BS that American is giving you. However, they need to comply with the new safety guidlines in the US concerning allergies. It stands to reason that if stricter warning labels are put into effect, that airlines should be adapting their procedures to comply.

EDIT: I also contacted JetBlue, which guarantees a peanut-free flight. They stopped serving snacks containing peanuts on board.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom