Living Seas Rehab

markc

Sharon L said:
Mouseplanet has reported that the sea cabs will be returning.

Mouseplanet speculates on rumors only; back when Al whats-his-name used to run it, it used to be fairly good at reporting on confirmed rumors..but once he left, there is nobody at Mouseplanet capable of that.

Granted, I can't make any of you believe me that i know what I'm talking about, however I can gurantee with 100% accuracy that they will not be coming back. I only say that because part of this rehab has plans to actually remove the track and make the old "ride-through" an actual walk-through. PArt of the reason for the dissapearance of the sea-cabs was the actual design of the ride system (or so I've been told by people working on the Living Seas); it doesnt' meet current ADA standards nor was that ride system stable when it was running. They ran into the situation where it because so unreliable (similar to JII's ride system just before it went through a rehab) that they could either replace it and have to modify it based on ADA specifications, or they could just take it out completely. They chose the latter; and with Turtle Talk with Crush being the unfortunate main focus and attraction of the pavillion, I doubt we'll ever see anything as decent take up the place of the sea cabs ever again.

Brian_B

markc said:
I can gurantee with 100% accuracy that they will not be coming back.

Well, I heard from someone with a lot of seniority in the company, who opened the living seas and has worked there for many years, that the true reason the ride closed was simply because TLS wasn't drawing enough crowds and the 2 CMs it took to operate the ride was costing too much money. Period.

Furthermore, neither you or I know exactly what is going to be unveiled in the pavilion in November, so saying that something is definitely going to happen or definitely isn't going to happen is malarky unless you have a hardhat and tools and work at the construction site on a daily basis.

Forgive us for being skeptical, but EVERYONE on these boards "knows someone who works there" or knows someone "in charge of the (insert name here) department" who knows FOR SURE what's going on. We've heard about 1,000 "definitely"s on every concievable rehab subject, so we tend to take such rumors (because that's what they are, regardless of how much you believe in them) with a grain of salt.

I think it's safe to say that time will tell on this one. If you keep making these assertions you'll look pretty silly in november if and/or when the new ride debuts. Pretty silly indeed.

Remember, only a sith deals in absolutes! :hurl:

- Brian

Ps. I'd also like to point out that JII currently uses the same ride system as the original ride, though it was undoubtedly serviced (but not replaced outright) during said rehab. Aside from painting the cars red (originally, they were world-of-motion-blue) and shortening the track, the ride is the same down to the physical track layout.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not wishing to get involved in the `Cabs discussion (but they are coming back...arn`t they??) but markc was correct regarding the JII ride system. The reliability and technical issues were based on the Dreamship scene, with the rotating sets. The Omnimover was designed to lock into the revolving outer ring of the `turntable` (not actually a turntable, but that`s a generic term) as it rotated 90 degrees to face the scene. It would continue running sideways, then unlock, rotate back to a front facing postition and continue. Since opening, and right up to it`s demise this system never worked properly, and would often fail. This is, of course, the main section of the original ride removed. Just a little sidetrack :D

Sharon L

markc said:
Mouseplanet speculates on rumors only; back when Al whats-his-name used to run it, it used to be fairly good at reporting on confirmed rumors..but once he left, there is nobody at Mouseplanet capable of that.

Granted, I can't make any of you believe me that i know what I'm talking about, however I can gurantee with 100% accuracy that they will not be coming back. I only say that because part of this rehab has plans to actually remove the track and make the old "ride-through" an actual walk-through. PArt of the reason for the dissapearance of the sea-cabs was the actual design of the ride system (or so I've been told by people working on the Living Seas); it doesnt' meet current ADA standards nor was that ride system stable when it was running. They ran into the situation where it because so unreliable (similar to JII's ride system just before it went through a rehab) that they could either replace it and have to modify it based on ADA specifications, or they could just take it out completely. They chose the latter; and with Turtle Talk with Crush being the unfortunate main focus and attraction of the pavillion, I doubt we'll ever see anything as decent take up the place of the sea cabs ever again.

100% accuracy? Since you do not work there and are not involved in the rehab, I don't think you can claim 100% accuracy. And if you truly are gifted with this kind of foresight, perhaps you should be playing the lottery.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Marni -

The trouble with imagination wasn't just the turntable, it was also the dispatch and return, much like the TTA. They start as an omnimover and then break into seperate trains. At unload, where the vehicles returned to their line, there was often enough force to cause a vehicle to derail (think of the ones at the front moving at a slow pace for load, locked to the moving platform, and then a train coming in too quickly from the rear - the vehicles in the center would "pop out" for lack of a better term.)

Brian_B

Good call, marni. Comment on JII rescinded...and that's all.

It's still a shame about that ride...I miss it so bad. SO bad. I should have been 20 in 1990...sigh

- Brian

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I miss it too. Whilst I was doing my tribute vid I saw things I`d forgotten about, things I`d never seen, and just marvelled at the layers of detail. I wonder if the ride problems were due to the rushed schedule - JII was the last attraction to be commissioned, very late on in final planning, and opened 5 months after Futureworld.

markc

Brian_B said:
it took to operate the ride was costing too much money. Period.

Furthermore, neither you or I know exactly what is going to be unveiled in the pavilion in November, so saying that something is definitely going to happen or definitely isn't going to happen is malarky unless you have a hardhat and tools and work at the construction site on a daily basis.

Surely you don't think the only people with knowledge or access to ride plans are only the contractors and in house construction crew actually working on them? There's about 200 people in the Team Disney building that know what going on as well as about 30 of them in Epcot.

I think it's safe to say that time will tell on this one. If you keep making these assertions you'll look pretty silly in november if and/or when the new ride debuts. Pretty silly indeed.

Fair enough, but then I'm willing to take the risk of looking silly knowing full well that if they returned, then they returned without the knoweldge or approval from those in Disney who were the only ones who had the authority to do so.

But don't take my word for it..if you want an instant answer ,all you need to do is place in inquiry with the general manager of Epcot, who handles these kind of guest questions. The GM should be able to tell you one of 3 things "no, it's indefinitely on hiatus" or "yes it's coming back" or "we don't speculate on refurbs". If you get the last two responses, then it is coming back, if you get the first one, then it's not coming back (FYI: GM's are informed on ALL park happenings, much more so than Guest Relation CM's, and General Managers can not outright lie to any guest with the knowledge of certain information (hence the "speculation" line they are forced to use when asked about certain things). I encourage some of you to take this option so you are not mislead by rumors on here stating their return.

Ps. I'd also like to point out that JII currently uses the same ride system as the original ride, though it was undoubtedly serviced (but not replaced outright) during said rehab. Aside from painting the cars red (originally, they were world-of-motion-blue) and shortening the track, the ride is the same down to the physical track layout.

For what they did to the original system, you might as well call it a completely new ride. They replaced so much of the original ride system that most of it is completely brand new, including replacing much of the old track (keeping the same layout, but just replacing it). If you had seen what the condition of the ride system when it closed, and what was changed/replaced when they brought it back a year later..you'd see what i was talking about.

peter11435

markc said:
Surely you don't think the only people with knowledge or access to ride plans are only the contractors and in house construction crew actually working on them? There's about 200 people in the Team Disney building that know what going on as well as about 30 of them in Epcot.
You are completely correct. However I have a very hard time believing you are one of those people.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Also, as far as those hard-hat folks go, mousesurplus is one. His team goes in to remove and clear items for projects. Essentially they're a salvage/deconstruction company. If he says the Carribbean Coral Reef Ride isn't going anywhere, I beleive him.

Now, that doesn't mean it's going to reopen, but that does mean there wont be a walkthrough in its place.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
markc; a little off topic, but can you elaborate on the JII ride systems and rehabs? I find it fascinating. Thanks.

markc

peter11435 said:
You are completely correct. However I have a very hard time believing you are one of those people.

Why? Have I given you reason otherwise to believe that I'm a pathological liar. I barely post here..in fact I usually just browse here to see what people have to say..however if I find somebody making a glaring assertion that I know isn't right, i'll speak up.

cattle

JII Ride Systems

I would sure appreciate a detailed elaboration regarding JII, JIYI, and JIIWF, ride systems... specifically JII.

Mike

peter11435

markc said:
Why? Have I given you reason otherwise to believe that I'm a pathological liar. I barely post here..in fact I usually just browse here to see what people have to say..however if I find somebody making a glaring assertion that I know isn't right, i'll speak up.
And you may be correct. However with the number of new members who post lies and make up stuff, it is difficult to believe someone on the internet until they have proven themselves.

Bagheera

markc said:

OK, I'm not going to take this personally.

If I had confirmed information regarding the sea cabs staying, I wouldn't have reported it as a rumor. That said, I also don't just post everything that I see on the Internet. I do have quite a few sources, some of whom have contacts throughout the WDW food chain. If I don't have confirmation from somebody actually working on the project, it's a rumor. If I hear something from someone actually involved in getting something done, or someone whose information has consistently proven out, I will post it as fact. Since my source for the sea cabs story got the information second-hand from someone who was only indirectly involved with the rehab, it was not reported as fact.

Yes, Al Lutz does have incredible contacts out at Disneyland. However, I think that we've done a pretty good job in the almost three years since he jumped ship.

If you want to contact me directly and identify who you are and how you have come by the information that the sea cabs will definitely not be returning, I would be pleased to report it as solid information.

Brian_B

markc said:
There's about 200 people in the Team Disney building that know what going on as well as about 30 of them in Epcot.

Sorry, but I don't think you're one of them. I doubt you even know one, because, like I said, many have claimed to know people before. You are #10290291029109 to make such a claim. You said yourself you don't post here often, so I'm kindly informing you that we're all a bit reluctant to take anyone's word for it.

Additionally, I am aware of who the GM's are and what they do. I am an active cast member. There are certain details that they will NOT release to just anyone, especially before anything "official" has been declared or made known. In other words, there are certain things they're not really allowed to talk about until a specific time. When that time comes, the information will be filtered down, and everyone will know about specific details. (By your logic, why don't you just phone up Mr.Iger and ask him everything about Disney's upcoming production output? Since they're all so forthcoming with information?)

markc said:
For what they did to the original system, you might as well call it a completely new ride.
Yeah, Marni and I talked about that already - I rescinded all that from my post, thanks for noticing.

Like I said earlier, we shall see. If 'cabs there be not, fine. I'm prepared for that possibility. If 'cabs there be (or any ride for that matter), then that'll be that. Enough said.

- Brian

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom