Live From New York, it's JenniferS' birthday ...

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
Now we've done the whole front 1/4 of the building, including the Temple Wing.

IMG_5825.JPG

We have less than 35 minutes to check out some European paintings.
IMG_5826.JPG

Apparently I'm not as worldly or classy as I thought, because the little we saw was mostly meh.

Here are a few things I did like that are actually suitable for family viewing.
IMG_5773.JPG IMG_5772.JPG IMG_5774.JPG IMG_5776.JPG IMG_5780.JPG IMG_5781.JPG

And by far my most favourite! So much so, that I had a copy of this hanging in numerous powder rooms since before I got married until a couple of years ago when it fell off the wall and the glass shards sliced the print. Oh sad day. :(
IMG_5778.JPG IMG_5779.JPG

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
Time to stroll through Central Park.

IMG_5791.JPG IMG_5793.JPG IMG_5794.JPG IMG_5795.JPG

Duckies. <3
IMG_5802.JPG IMG_5803.JPG IMG_5805.JPG

"You're not drinking from that", Mike asks aghast.
Sure, why not. Turns out the water was colder and less chlorine-y than any fountain water I've ever had at Disney.
IMG_5811.JPG

Back at the hotel, we split this:
IMG_5812.JPG
(Ahaha, no we didn't. I offered. He declined. I drank it all. I was thirsty and caffeine deprived. Two birds ... and all that.)

Then I was cold, and crawled under the covers, so you know darn well I fell asleep. On top of the covers, so did Mike.

After we woke up and washed our faces and brushed our teeth, we went out for dinner. Around the corner, less than 100m away. Definitely worth the walk. :hilarious:

All caught up now. Beddy-byes time, as my mom would say. We've got big plans for tomorrow.

Headed down to 1 World Trade Centre. Definitely a no mascara day. Maybe a tour on the Staten Island Ferry. And maybe meeting another Disney friend, depending upon her circumstances.

Good night all.

trr1

Time to stroll through Central Park.

View attachment 223396 View attachment 223397 View attachment 223398 View attachment 223399

Duckies. <3
View attachment 223401 View attachment 223402 View attachment 223403

"You're not drinking from that", Mike asks aghast.
Sure, why not. Turns out the water was colder and less chlorine-y than any fountain water I've ever had at Disney.
View attachment 223404

Back at the hotel, we split this:
View attachment 223405
(Ahaha, no we didn't. I offered. He declined. I drank it all. I was thirsty and caffeine deprived. Two birds ... and all that.)

Then I was cold, and crawled under the covers, so you know darn well I fell asleep. On top of the covers, so did Mike.

After we woke up and washed our faces and brushed our teeth, we went out for dinner. Around the corner, less than 100m away. Definitely worth the walk. :hilarious:

All caught up now. Beddy-byes time, as my mom would say. We've got big plans for tomorrow.

Headed down to 1 World Trade Centre. Definitely a no mascara day. Maybe a tour on the Staten Island Ferry. And maybe meeting another Disney friend, depending upon her circumstances.

Good night all.
No dinner pictures?

NYwdwfan

View attachment 223377 View attachment 223378 View attachment 223379

I love the juxtaposition of ancient Egypt in the foreground, and century old NYC in the background.
View attachment 223380 View attachment 223381 View attachment 223382 View attachment 223383 View attachment 223384

I waited a solid 5 minutes to get this shot with no people. No luck, but I finally succeeded with a side view.
View attachment 223385

I just had a total 5th grade flashback.

Go with the green. :hilarious:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
That's how you have to do it or you're standing around a lot!

Not still up - woke up and can't sleep. Lots to do tomorrow, lots on my mind, lots of tossing and turning. Little sleep.
:( Bummer.

You should try alphabetical mental Word Whomp. I should have taught you the exact rules yesterday.

My bad.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
We only had a couple of hours here, and this is so not Mikey's gig, so I confined myself to a few exhibit halls.

Let me summarize them for you.
The Greeks were obsessed with naked young men. The Egyptians, with everything related to death and the afterlife. The Renaissance painters with an impotent Christ - either as a newborn baby totally dependent on his mother, or as an emaciated dying man, collapsed in his mother's arms. A few centuries later, all paintings seem to be of women nursing kids that should be in school. And the Dutch liked dogs in every painting.

Done. Now I can just post a bunch of pics.

View attachment 223347 View attachment 223348 View attachment 223349 View attachment 223350

Not really a triptych because they're not hinged, and each panel is a different size, but I could really make these work in my house.
View attachment 223351 View attachment 223352 View attachment 223353 View attachment 223354

Excellent synopsis of the era of art. It made me chuckle with my morning coffee!

Songbird76

Best meal of the trip so far! Oh my gosh, it was soooo good.

View attachment 223276 View attachment 223277

Beverages. Yeungling on tap, so Mikey is happy.
View attachment 223278

French onion soup for me. It's cheese, it's onions, it's good.
View attachment 223279

Caesar salad with croutons. Clearly not mine.
View attachment 223280

Mike says this is the best part. I say, have at it.
View attachment 223281

He likes pub fish and chips. We never eat it at home.
View attachment 223282

Steakhouse salad for me (sans tomatoes). This is hands down, one of the best salads I've ever had. There's nothing special about it, but it all worked. Probably not the most expensive cut of meat, but it was cooked and seasoned perfectly.
View attachment 223283

Same dessert for both of us. Chocolate pot de crême. I prefer my strawberries to be less macerated, but no biggie.
View attachment 223284
I must be tired. I legit had to Google desert vs dessert. :hilarious:
I always remember Dessert has TWO S's because you always want more of it. ;) I love Mnemonic devices.

What's the crumbly stuff on the steakhouse salad?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
I always remember Dessert has TWO S's because you always want more of it. ;) I love Mnemonic devices.

What's the crumbly stuff on the steakhouse salad?
Blue cheese. Very mild, but tasty.

I have mnemonic devices for lots of words, but "dessert" is generally a word I just know. Except for last night, clearly.

Songbird76

Headed south again.
View attachment 223327

Vanderbilt Gate.
http://www.centralparknyc.org/things-to-see-and-do/attractions/vanderbilt-gate.html
View attachment 223328 View attachment 223329

I don't know who this is. The picture that follows that should show the name carved underneath is a total blur. Sorry @MinnieM123.
View attachment 223330

Yay! Museum Mile. We will be disembarking soon.
View attachment 223331

Not here though.
View attachment 223332

Does anyone else see the Madame Leota tombstone?
View attachment 223333
View attachment 223337

And we're here, at the Met.
View attachment 223334 View attachment 223335
I used Google Maps to find that statue and it says J Marion Sims. I can't zoom in enough to read the engraving other than Born 1813 Died 1883 and M.D. LLD and it has the medical doctor symbol on either side, so he was a doctor.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
I used Google Maps to find that statue and it says J Marion Sims. I can't zoom in enough to read the engraving other than Born 1813 Died 1883 and M.D. LLD and it has the medical doctor symbol on either side, so he was a doctor.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
Thank you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom