News Live-Action Ariel Meet and Greet at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

MagicHappens1971

Totally agree. I haven’t enjoyed any of the live action remakes. I’d much rather see some effort and imagination go into a whole new movie. Also, I can’t even imagine the backlash that would happen (rightfully so) if The Princess and the Frog was done live action with a non-African American lead actress. Any thinking person would see that as wrong.
Tiana being African-American is central to her character. Ariel being white is not…

yensidtlaw1969

I despise Bob's Follies, aka. the live-action remakes. End of story. I don't give one whit about who is in them or what they sound like. If you want to try and interpret that differently to fit some narrative or agenda, that's on you, not me.
Have you considered that it’s possible and probably worthwhile to express dislike of the Live Action Remakes in a way that doesn’t actively target this particular one?

Most people who genuinely have no “agenda” against this movie have awareness of the existing conversation around it and sense enough to recognize that some extra consideration of their comments bears prudence.

Tom P.

Halle Bailey WILL be Ariel for many young children and future generations, naturally. Some will recognize her and not Jodi Benson as the character.

Like it or not, she is Ariel.
Still disagree. These live action remakes just do not "stick" in the cultural consciousness like the animated originals do. People will go see it, sure, but then it will be largely forgotten the way 90% of all films, good or bad, are once they are a year or two old. This has been true of all the other live action remakes and I'm certain it will be true of this one.

Only time will tell who is right, of course. But I feel confident in what I'm saying.

Californian Elitist

Still disagree. These live action remakes just do not "stick" in the cultural consciousness like the animated originals do. People will go see it, sure, but then it will be largely forgotten the way 90% of all films, good or bad, are once they are a year or two old. This has been true of all the other live action remakes and I'm certain it will be true of this one.

Only time will tell who is right, of course. But I feel confident in what I'm saying.
She already is Ariel for many. It’s happening.

It is what it is.

Tom P.

She already is Ariel for many. It’s happening.

It is what it is.
I don't agree. I don't think what you think is happening actually is. But even if it is, I'm talking about the long-term impact of these films. Which I believe will be near zero over time in comparison to the animated films.

All of this is just opinion and speculation, of course, and there's no way to prove that either of us is correct. Time will tell what happens. So I guess there's no point in continuing to go back and forth on it.

GimpYancIent

Halle Bailey WILL be Ariel for many young children and future generations, naturally. Some will recognize her and not Jodi Benson as the character.

Like it or not, she is Ariel.
Ariel is a mermaid and can be anyone. There is too much material depicting Ariel other than the live action version around. Ariel will be whoever the little one's imagination want her to be. Soooo like it or not she is only Ariel for this movie.

Californian Elitist

I don't agree. I don't think what you think is happening actually is. But even if it is, I'm talking about the long-term impact of these films. Which I believe will be near zero over time in comparison to the animated films.

All of this is just opinion and speculation, of course, and there's no way to prove that either of us is correct. Time will tell what happens. So I guess there's no point in continuing to go back and forth on it.
You don’t have to agree, but it is happening.🤷🏾‍♀️ Kiddies are already starting to associate Ariel with Halle Bailey and having brown skin.

If it’s already happening now, it will likely stick with the kids in the future, no? Just like you grew up with the renaissance films and they’ve stuck with you.

Californian Elitist

Ariel is a mermaid and can be anyone. There is too much material depicting Ariel other than the live action version around. Ariel will be whoever the little one's imagination want her to be. Soooo like it or not she is only Ariel for this movie.
And in this case, Halle Bailey is Ariel. A black mermaid. She’s still Ariel.

Sooooo…

LittleBuford

I don’t think it’s worth arguing over. From Bond to Poirot, many characters have been portrayed in different guises, and audiences seem fine accepting this multiplicity. Even Mickey Mouse himself exists in various forms, some of them quite unlike each other. Whether the live-action Ariel will prove as iconic as the animated one remains to be seen. In the meantime, I don’t think it’s controversial to say that she will make an impact on a good number of children (and adults). As far as I’m concerned, there’s room for both.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Mermaids of different colors and races exist in every culture. The first mermaid legends originated in West Africa.

Your reference ? One of the earliest mermaid legends appeared in Syria around 1000 BC when the goddess Atargatis dove into a lake to take the form of a fish. As the gods there would not allow her to give up her great beauty, only her bottom half became a fish, and she kept her top half in human form. but before that the first known mention in human history of a human figure with a fishtail is from about 5000 BC, where Babylonian mythology of the god Ea described him as having the body of both a man and a fish.

Californian Elitist

I don’t think it’s worth arguing over. From Bond to Poirot, many characters have been portrayed in different guises, and audiences seem fine accepting this multiplicity. Even Mickey Mouse himself exists in various forms, some of them quite unlike each other. Whether the live-action Ariel will prove as iconic as the animated one remains to be seen. In the meantime, I don’t think it’s controversial to say that she will make an impact on a good number of children (and adults). As far as I’m concerned, there’s room for both.
Well said, my friend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom