Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

SuddenStorm

Agreed. I'll probably buy this, just to have it and watch it with my new home theater setup.

I watched Snow White on DVD just over a decade ago, after being inspired to rewatch it as an adult after my first dinner at Carthay Circle and seeing the archival exhibits about Snow White placed around that restaurant. It's a great movie.

If Disney committed to releasing all of its classics on 4K BluRays, I'd buy them. I like having physical copies. I don't entirely trust streaming to always be there for this sort of classic stuff.

There's been enough changes made to content on streaming that if there's a good quality unaltered physical release- I want it.

wtyy21

“Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” is getting the 4K treatment. Disney announced Wednesday morning its plans to release a meticulously restored and remastered 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray edition of their inaugural animated film. The remastered version will be available on Amazon starting Oct. 10.​
The endeavor is part of The Walt Disney Studios’ ongoing commitment to major restoration projects, employing new scans derived from the original nitrate negative. The restoration process benefits from the artistic insights of Disney Animation luminaries Eric Goldberg, renowned for his mastery in Disney animation, and Michael Giaimo, the creative force behind “Frozen,” “Frozen 2,” “Wish” and “Pocahontas.”​
The Blu-ray release is part of Disney’s 100th-anniversary celebration, and follows the successful 4K UHD restoration of “Cinderella” earlier this week.​
Here's the comparison between the original and the upcoming 4K restoration. Looks pretty amazing.
F4zEWirXYAAdTsO.jpeg

Sharon&Susan

I can hear it now: “I’m so sick of these 4K re-releases! Can’t they do something new?! There’s no creativity!”
Looking at Best Buy's Disney section today, which is made up mostly of their releases from years ago disguised with Disney 100 edition slipcovers and boxes, I think you're on to something here.

ParkPeeker

I remember I watched the original for the first time in middle school and was almost completely bored other than the musical scenes I had already known like hi ho. When I watched it as an adult, I think the only reason I wasn't bored was because I was actually paying attention to the animation the entire time and how beautiful all the art was. Like when the dwarfs first go into the cottage, with candles lit, and they animated all those shadows as they moved all over the place, up and around corners. I couldn't stop looking at it. But without the appreciation of art and music, it's kinda boring.

So story wise I don't think it'll be hard to surpass the original 🫢

TP2000

Looking at Best Buy's Disney section today, which is made up mostly of their releases from years ago disguised with Disney 100 edition slipcovers and boxes, I think you're on to something here.

Agreed.

That 4K upgrade to Snow White looks fabulous. I already own the plain DVD from over a decade ago.

But I'd be happy to buy this 4K BluRay upgraded version, just to have it in my physical possession with a giant laser screen.

I'm not into Princesses generally, just not my scene. But when I rewatched the DVD Snow White a decade plus ago after a visit to Carthay Circle at DCA, I was reminded of what a truly excellent piece of moviemaking it was. No wonder Walt made a fortune off of it and built his studio off of it in 1937. It's a masterpiece.

Without Snow White 1937, there would be no Walt Disney Company as we know it. There never would have been a Disneyland in 1955. There never would have been a Disney World in 1971. There never would have been a Michael Eisner to create a Renaissance, there never would have been a Bob Iger to save Eisner from himself, and there never would have been a 2020's DEI Disney to employ Rachel Zegler to remake the original film.

As Disney regroups and relaunches its Snow White media campaign next winter after the PR disaster of this August, they might do well to remind young Miss Zegler of those simple facts of history. Rachel Zegler owes her 2024 paycheck to 1937.

TP2000

It’s quite possible there would have still been a Disneyland, a WDW, and whatever else had Snow White not been made. No one will ever know.

By what scenario in the latter years of the Great Depression, leading directly into World War II, does Disney become an American cultural powerhouse without Snow White's massive box office of 1937-38 building the Burbank studio campus in 1939?

Rachel Zegler owes her paycheck to her own talent and being hired for the role.

But enough about 2023's Shazam! Fury of the Gods. Let that movie speak for itself, on its own merits.

Let's keep this to her latest mega-budget movie... Snow White's Leadership Adventure.

Californian Elitist

By what scenario in the latter years of the Great Depression, leading directly into World War II, does Disney become an American cultural powerhouse without Snow White's massive box office of 1937-38 building the Burbank studio campus in 1939?

But enough about 2023's Shazam! Fury of the Gods. Let that movie speak for itself, on its own merits.

Let's keep this to her latest mega-budget movie... Snow White's Leadership Adventure.
Who knows? I’m not pretending to know. No one knows. Trying to claim what would have happened if things in history didn’t happen as they did is a waste of time because the various possibilities of scenarios. Do try to stop pretending like you know things that are impossible to know.

Not sure what Shazam has to do with this (I bet you didn’t see it), but Zegler can still owe her paycheck to herself for being chosen for the role. It is what it is.

TP2000

Who knows? I’m not pretending to know. No one knows. Trying to claim what would have happened if things in history didn’t happen as they did is a waste of time because the various possibilities of scenarios. Do try to stop pretending like you know things that are impossible to know.

It's a simple thing. I'll ask it again...

Not sure what Shazam has to do with this (I bet you didn’t see it),

Don't worry, almost no one saw Shazam, but it was Rachel Zegler's most recent flop. Just after West Side Story.

but Zegler can still owe her paycheck to herself for being chosen for the role. It is what it is.

It will be fascinating to watch how Disney retrains and rebrands and rescripts Miss Zegler for her media appearances next February and March. If her tone and messaging changes dramatically, the film may be saved at the box office.

But if she is unable, or unwilling, to change that tone and messaging, then....

LittleBuford

It’s quite possible there would have still been a Disneyland, a WDW, and whatever else had Snow White not been made. No one will ever know.
Possible, but in my view unlikely. That said . . .

Rachel Zegler owes her paycheck to her own talent and being hired for the role.
This. Absolutely this. She is under no obligation to feel indebted to the 1937 film, and I'm still not sure why anyone would really care what her views on it are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom