Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

TP2000

It will be the fourth one. It is an extremely successful series.

Oh, is it? I've never seen any of them then. I thought it was just one movie from about a decade ago. Not really my scene.

So this will be Miss Zegler's third movie of her career, before Snow White comes out next year.

It would be nice for Hunger Games IV to be the movie that breaks the Rachel Zegler Curse at the box office.

Miss Zegler's Entire Career Thus Far.jpg

BuddyThomas

Oh, is it? I've never seen any of them then. I thought it was just one movie from about a decade ago. Not really my scene.

So this will be Miss Zegler's third movie of her career, before Snow White comes out next year.

It would be nice for Hunger Games IV to be the movie that breaks the Rachel Zegler Curse at the box office.

View attachment 742450
Curse?????? She won the Golden Globe as Maria in West Side Story. You probably know this just as you probably know The Hunger Games series is a worldwide phenomenon. She was also nominated for 18 additional awards for West Side Story and she won three of them - four in total. She is not a box office curse.

Vegas Disney Fan

View attachment 742450
It’ll be interesting to see how this movie does, the series had 4 movies (2012, 13, 14, 15) and they were all linked as one story based on a 3 book series. The first 2 movies did great and then people kind of lost interest but the last still pulled in $650 million. This will be a stand alone based on the 4th book that’s set about 50 years before the other books. Similar to how the Fantastic Beasts is part of the Harry Potter world but not really directly connected to the original story, as such I don’t think it’s going to match the box office of the others, if it can match other add on movies and pull in 60% of the series last movie it could bring in $400+ million, whether that’s enough to turn a profit largely depends on how much they’re spending on it. I cant recall audiences asking for another Hunger Games movie so I could also see this not finding an audience and flopping spectacularly in todays hostile movie market.

Either way it’ll be another fun one to talk about, whether it’s a hit and we’re speculating why it succeeded or it flops and we’re speculating about why it failed.

DKampy

View attachment 742450
There is no Ziegler curse…quite the opposite…it was her pretty unanimous praise for West Side Story that has led to more opportunities for her

That is quite the hot take…to not be aware that The Hunger Games is a successful worldwide phenomenon

erasure fan1

I cant recall audiences asking for another Hunger Games movie so I could also see this not finding an audience and flopping
I'm not sure they are. I don't see a lot of buzz for it. I know my wife who absolutely loved the books, picked up all the movies, hasn't shown an ounce of interest in it. And she's the target audience. It could do well but It's by no means a guaranteed slam dunk success.

TP2000

That is quite the hot take…to not be aware that The Hunger Games is a successful worldwide phenomenon

I was, and still am, certainly well aware of the Hunger Games as a popular cultural/movie thing. I said so earlier in this thread, but I worded it poorly...

I've never heard of this Hunger Games movie, as I didn't see the first one.

What I meant by that was that until Buddy mentioned it, I had never heard of this upcoming Hunger Games movie this November. Because I never saw the first Hunger Games movies, so I'm not a fan or keeping track of the Hunger Games franchise. It's just not my scene.

But now we've firmly established there's a new Hunger Games movie coming out in November, the first one since 2015 according to Google.

It will be interesting to see how it does at the box office, considering the financial fate of the last two Rachel Zegler movies; West Side Story, and Shazam Fury Of The Gods.

Ghost93

It will be interesting to see how it does at the box office, considering the financial fate of the last two Rachel Zegler movies; West Side Story, and Shazam Fury Of The Gods.
I really think Snow White will be the first real test of Zegler's stardom.

She was an unknown when the West Side Story remake came out. The movie was critically acclaimed, but I think it flopped because older audiences still love the 1961 version and didn't see a need for a remake and younger audiences simply don't care about West Side Story. Seeing West Side Story is what initially made me optimistic about Zegelr as Snow White, as her portrayal of Maria embodied the sweetness and innocence that the original version of Snow White had. She can also sing well.

She didn't have a huge role in Shazam Fury of the Gods, which flopped due to middling reviews, superhero fatigue, distrust in the DC brand, and everyone dogpiling on Zachary Levi. I don't think any sane person would say Shazam 2 flopped due to Zegler. In fact, by the time the movie came out, I doubt most people even knew who she was at the time.

erasure fan1

I don't think any sane person would say Shazam 2 flopped due to Zegler. In fact, by the time the movie came out, I doubt most people even knew who she was at the time.
The issue that she could face, is it doesn't matter if it was her fault. Lets say hunger games doesn't do well. And then what if snow white is a failure as well. Now you're the actress with 4 big budget flops in a row. Not a good look for any actor or actress. Hollywood can be a fickle place. Heck, even if one is a hit, that's still 3 of 4 majors underperforming. That's still not great.

celluloid

Curse?????? She won the Golden Globe as Maria in West Side Story. You probably know this just as you probably know The Hunger Games series is a worldwide phenomenon. She was also nominated for 18 additional awards for West Side Story and she won three of them - four in total. She is not a box office curse.

Box Office is not an award show situation. Box Office is Ticket sales.

She is a box office negative trend.

I am sure Disney will be so thrilled for The Hunger Games movie to do well? As their movies flop?

Monkee Girl

This brings up an interesting question... if Snow White loses money, or even breaks even, will that change Disneys attitude towards the remakes?

They’ve now done the renaissance era films (BaTB, LM, LK) and they will have done the best known early era films (Cinderella, Snow White, Alice, Jungle Book, etc), what’s next? Do they start the CG era films like Tangled, etc? We know Moana’s on the table, I wonder what the future holds for the remakes.
My opinion on what I would love to see remade are the movies that WEREN'T hits. the films that either flopped because of poor story or the effects weren't there for the time. Films that could be changed a bit and 'fixed'. They could have done The Black Cauldron, or Atlantis, or Treasure Planet. They really missed out on The Black Cauldron during their early 2000s LotR era. Even Hunchback would have been cool, especially with the buzz around the theatrical production. I have had no interest to see a frame by frame remake of the movies I personally grew up with and loved like Aladdin, Little Mermaid and Beauty and the beast. but the ones that didn't get the love and popularity would have been interesting to see what they could do with a live action interpretation.

celluloid

My opinion on what I would love to see remade are the movies that WEREN'T hits. the films that either flopped because of poor story or the effects weren't there for the time. Films that could be changed a bit and 'fixed'. They could have done The Black Cauldron, or Atlantis, or Treasure Planet. They really missed out on The Black Cauldron during their early 2000s LotR era. Even Hunchback would have been cool, especially with the buzz around the theatrical production. I have had no interest to see a frame by frame remake of the movies I personally grew up with and loved like Aladdin, Little Mermaid and Beauty and the beast. but the ones that didn't get the love and popularity would have been interesting to see what they could do with a live action interpretation.

Agreed. The point of a remake for some is to do it one better, improve on and maybe even take a good concept from a falls flat situation to a well crafted situation.

Now it is franchising and relying on old reliables.

Vegas Disney Fan

I really think Snow White will be the first real test of Zegler's stardom.

She was an unknown when the West Side Story remake came out. The movie was critically acclaimed, but I think it flopped because older audiences still love the 1961 version and didn't see a need for a remake and younger audiences simply don't care about West Side Story. Seeing West Side Story is what initially made me optimistic about Zegelr as Snow White, as her portrayal of Maria embodied the sweetness and innocence that the original version of Snow White had. She can also sing well.

She didn't have a huge role in Shazam Fury of the Gods, which flopped due to middling reviews, superhero fatigue, distrust in the DC brand, and everyone dogpiling on Zachary Levi. I don't think any sane person would say Shazam 2 flopped due to Zegler. In fact, by the time the movie came out, I doubt most people even knew who she was at the time.
Stardom seems a bit generous, prior to this thread I’d never heard of her, she’s been a supporting role actor, or at best a secondary lead.

My guess is Hunger games flops, not because of her but because it’s a decade old series that most people have lost interest in. I also suspect that Snow White will flop, again not due to her (although her comments won’t have helped) but because Disney appears to be giving us a very different version that’s best qualities (so far) have been providing cringe worthy photos for good memes.

I’ve never actually seen one of her movies so I can’t argue for or against her star potential but she needs to find roles in movies that won’t flop if she really wants to become a star.

jpinkc

I just wish they had stayed to the Source material. If it wasnt broke dont fix it. They could have tweaked the story to some degree, but from the things I have seen they took Flamethrower to it. The First BIG Disney success, the thing that enabled all of The Walt Disney Company should be treated better and with respect for what it did and does.

TP2000

She was an unknown when the West Side Story remake came out. The movie was critically acclaimed, but I think it flopped because older audiences still love the 1961 version and didn't see a need for a remake and younger audiences simply don't care about West Side Story.

That description of why the remake of West Side Story flopped seems rather close to the description of the remake of Snow White.

Except as I understand it, West Side Story's remake stayed fairly close to the original. The whole movie still revolved around the original romance and Maria was still madly in love with Tony. Maria wasn't now on a Leadership Journey to take over the dress shop and turn it into an employee-owned cooperative (wait, I'm confused with the log ride remake).

It will be interesting to see what the free market says with their wallets about a Snow White remake that isn't really the story of Snow White & The Seven Dwarves any more.

Disstevefan1

That description of why the remake of West Side Story flopped seems rather close to the description of the remake of Snow White.

Except as I understand it, West Side Story's remake stayed fairly close to the original. The whole movie still revolved around the original romance and Maria was still madly in love with Tony. Maria wasn't now on a Leadership Journey to take over the dress shop and turn it into an employee-owned cooperative (wait, I'm confused with the log ride remake).

It will be interesting to see what the free market says with their wallets about a Snow White remake that isn't really the story of Snow White & The Seven Dwarves any more.
I gotta watch WSS to see how they destroyed remade it. ;)

TP2000

The issue that she could face, is it doesn't matter if it was her fault. Lets say hunger games doesn't do well. And then what if snow white is a failure as well. Now you're the actress with 4 big budget flops in a row. Not a good look for any actor or actress.

Well, at least Rachel Zegler will have her signature brand of personal charm to fall back on. ;)

Hollywood can be a fickle place. Heck, even if one is a hit, that's still 3 of 4 majors underperforming. That's still not great.

As Rachel Zegler said herself at D23 Expo about potentially cutting out the character played by Andrew Burnap... "All of Andrew's scenes could get cut, it's Hollywood, baby. Ha ha."

Rachel Zegler's career may get cut. It's Hollywood, baby. Ha ha?

GimpYancIent

Well, at least Rachel Zegler will have her signature brand of personal charm to fall back on. ;)

As Rachel Zegler said herself at D23 Expo about potentially cutting out the character played by Andrew Burnap... "All of Andrew's scenes could get cut, it's Hollywood, baby. Ha ha."

Rachel Zegler's career may get cut. It's Hollywood, baby. Ha ha?
Too true, it is a What Have You Done Lately business here popularity has weight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom