Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

MoonRakerSCM

Onward had a meet and greet in Paradise Pier. They had the brother's van parked in front of the 'not stage' stage near the carnival games. I remember seeing it when I visited the last weekend before they closed.

1694297568364.jpeg

Phroobar

I really can't speak for how people reacted 13 years ago to the Johnny Depp Alice In Wonderland remake. I don't remember anyone even talking about it, to be honest. I don't even remember a movie preview for it in the parks.

Thinking back to 2010, I remember us being really annoyed with the ugly new fall-protection fencing on the exterior of the Alice In Wonderland ride at Disneyland. But chatter about that movie? No clue. My guess is that because it was marketed as a "Johnny Depp Movie", no one cared who the girl playing Alice was or if she was now on a Leadership Journey instead of just a pretty girl who fell down a rabbit hole into Wonderland.
You don't remember the Mad T Party in DCA? Electronica was better but the band was great.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of a single instance of any of those movies having a presence in the American parks. No character meet n' greets, no cavalcades, no attraction placement, no World of Color snippet, etc.

If any of those movies had generated a meaningful audience, you would see park placement and merchandise displays. Even just adding a character to an existing parade float, or having the character dance along next to a parade float.

But there is none of that. Those movies and their characters and stories don't exist in the parks. So much for Synergy. ;)
Of all those mentioned, everyone except Luca I believe, has had some presence in the Disney Parks around the world at some point from M&Gs to merch.

DKampy

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of a single instance of any of those movies having a presence in the American parks. No character meet n' greets, no cavalcades, no attraction placement, no World of Color snippet, etc.

If any of those movies had generated a meaningful audience, you would see park placement and merchandise displays. Even just adding a character to an existing parade float, or having the character dance along next to a parade float.

But there is none of that. Those movies and their characters and stories don't exist in the parks. So much for Synergy. ;)
There is the Soul Cat Lounge on The Disney Magic cruise ship which is a completely dedicated theme to Soul

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1. This is the Snow White Thread.

2. Alice in Wonderland was not a remake, it was a sequel. The story starts with her in the real world thinking her first journey was a dream until denizens from Wonderland reach out to her to come back.

3. There is a thread for remakes:

Cliff

Is there any chance the current "Snow White and the Seven Dwarf's Mine Train" will be updated to match the new movie? We don't know much about the movie yet but from what Racheal Zeigler (Snow White actress) has publicly revealed in interviews, it sounds like the movie has a new socially positive and modern, inclusive and improved progressive message.

Could Disney use this opportunity to fix the current ride/attraction so that it adopts this new movie message and values and replace the classic story elements with the corrected re-imagined one?

LittleBuford

Is there any chance the current "Snow White and the Seven Dwarf's Mine Train" will be updated to match the new movie? We don't know much about the movie yet but from what Racheal Zeigler (Snow White actress) has publicly revealed in interviews, it sounds like the movie has a new socially positive and modern, inclusive and improved progressive message.

Could Disney use this opportunity to fix the current ride/attraction so that it adopts this new movie message and values and replace the classic story elements with the corrected re-imagined one?
Based on your earlier posts, I don’t think you’re being especially serious, but no, there is no reason to believe that Disney will retheme the ride given that none of the other remakes have displaced the animated versions in park attractions.

Chi84

Premium Member

There's nothing wrong with being modern and inclusive if you're making a current version of older material. It doesn't necessarily mean there was something wrong with the older material or that it needs to be replaced.

People need to chill; making something new is not an attack on the former version. Different people like different things - there's nothing wrong with making something that may appeal more to modern sensibilities.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Soul did have an interactive 50th-anniversary statue outside of the Brown Derby in Hollywood Studios, but IMHO that particular film lacked in its ability to engage due to its theme and subject matter. Most jazz isn't universally popular with only 34% of the American population that will attest to liking it. Its theme is about not being ambitious as reaching goals doesn't provide value to your life.

Heppenheimer

As I mentioned to Little my memory of the Alice remake was it hit the key points of the original, or at least what I remembered of it. I don’t recall The Jungle book being all that different either.
From what I recall, The 2016 Jungle Book mostly hit the same beats as the 1967 version, although in a different order that structured the story less episodically. Completely different from the live action 1994 version, which was basically Tarzan in all but name.

And we certainly didn't hear Bill Murray, Christopher Walken or Idris Elba trash-talk the original.

Heppenheimer

Onward had a meet and greet in Paradise Pier. They had the brother's van parked in front of the 'not stage' stage near the carnival games. I remember seeing it when I visited the last weekend before they closed.

View attachment 741977
I was there that very weird week too, and I remember seeing this meet and greet. Let's just say there wasn't much of a line. The second time I walked by the characters weren't even there, it was just meet and greet the van.

I also remember seeing plenty of those wands, or magic sticks, or whatever they were sitting unsold on the shelves all over the parks.

I wanted to like this movie, as I did Turning Red and Soul, but it simply underwhelmed me. Luca was a pleasant little surprise, mainly because it seemed like they were bunting and had a base hit, rather than swinging and missing for their usual home run. I also really liked how well they digitally replicated the Cinque Terre.

The Lochness Monsta

Given the fact that this movie is probably going to bomb.

and

They've never changed an attraction to fit a Princess Live Action.

I'm going to go with a big fat NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Soul did have an interactive 50th-anniversary statue outside of the Brown Derby in Hollywood Studios, but IMHO that particular film lacked in its ability to engage due to its theme and subject matter. Most jazz isn't universally popular with only 34% of the American population that will attest to liking it. Its theme is about not being ambitious as reaching goals doesn't provide value to your life.
They've been holding auditions this summer for a new Joe character CM who'll play piano in NOS at Disneyland -

Goofy Ninja

Given the fact that this movie is probably going to bomb.

and

They've never changed an attraction to fit a Princess Live Action.

I'm going to go with a big fat NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Yep, unfortunately this one doesn't look that good and Rachel hasn't helped it. It's hard to see a character as sweet if the person playing the character acts "rude" and disrespectful in real life.

The original Disney Classic is a story of Love and Hate. It isn't about becoming a leader. Why does everything have to have a girl boss in it? It's unfortunate because I loved her in West Side Story.

LittleBuford

Racheal Zeigler has been VERY clear about her and Disney's distain for the original Snow White. Disney is clearly making a movie to erase or "fix" the social problems and negative stereotypes of the original movie. She and Disney believe this new movie will be far more virtuous and promote positive female rolls in society. Again,...she is 100% clear that Disney is making this movie for that reason.
As I've pointed out multiple times already (though people keep ignoring it), her messaging was consistent with what's been said about all the princess-movie remakes. The female-empowerment angle has been Disney's brand for many years now; it's nothing revolutionary at this point.

I'm looking past the fact that your post is sarcastic and insincere in the hope that I might engage you in some actual discussion.

BuddyThomas

That seems to be where Rachel Zegler comes in and makes this story go viral.

Miss Zegler is simply not established enough or tenured enough in her industry to be so dismissive of Walt's original work. She's a recent high school graduate who has been in two mega flop movies so far, and that's not a solid enough resume' to take on Walt Disney and his 20th century team of artistic geniuses.

That she also made her little smirky faces and mugged for the camera as she rolled her eyes about how ancient and out of touch Walt must have been back in some mysterious year called 1937 didn't help her messaging. It made her unlikable.

There was plenty of anger and bafflement about this Snow White movie when that first photo of the Seven Hipsters dropped on Social Media already. Rachel Zegler's own formal interviews sent the story into overdrive in the following weeks. Now Disney needs to fix it. Somehow.
Again, she will be the lead in the Hunger Games prequel that drops in November. You need to calm down.

TP2000

Again, she will be the lead in the Hunger Games prequel that drops in November. You need to calm down.

I don't think anyone is overheated on this topic, are they? It's a source of bemusement and chuckles for most of us here. The level of PR clumsiness is something to laugh at, not cry over. (Unless you are Rachel Zegler's agent, of course).

I've never heard of this Hunger Games movie, as I didn't see the first one. I'll look forward to seeing how this Hunger Games movie does at the box office this November. It will be fun to track along with Disney's two tentpoles that month; The Marvels and Wish. :)

BuddyThomas

I don't think anyone is overheated on this topic, are they? It's a source of bemusement and chuckles for most of us here. The level of PR clumsiness is something to laugh at, not cry over. (Unless you are Rachel Zegler's agent, of course).

I've never heard of this Hunger Games movie, as I didn't see the first one. I'll look forward to seeing how this Hunger Games movie does at the box office this November. It will be fun to track along with Disney's two tentpoles that month; The Marvels and Wish. :)
You’ve never heard of The Hunger Games???????? That’s hard to believe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom