Live-Action ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’

celluloid

I was talking about myself. Others are free to post what they wish.
Then you can just end it with I don't understand, Rather than a claim it is best to move on while calling my discussion not clear for productive discussion, when I try and help you understand. Typically, people just inner monologue that when it is to themselves, not post it to others while claiming I did not clearly explain anything. I did. Disney's trend has been fatigue with remake, sequel, spinoff remake sequel. You do understand this to some degree because you brought up how they have done this a lot since just before and ever since The Lion King remake. It is Fatigue. Not sure what you don't understand.
If it was just for you, it would not be posted that way.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

You do understand this to some degree because you brought up how they have done this a lot since just before and ever since The Lion King remake. It is Fatigue. Not sure what you don't understand.
I truly do not understand how remakes (which Disney has been doing for about a decade now) are off-brand. But I thank you for trying to explain it to me and really will be moving on from this particular exchange now.

celluloid

I truly do not understand how remakes (which Disney has been doing for about a decade now) are off-brand. But I thank you for trying to explain it to me and really will be moving on from this particular exchange now.
Because for the first80- 90 years, they balanced way more effort into original ones to occasionally be the next hit among all the property follow ups. Now the machine has oversaturated with only these to where there is not much else to do. HM flop being remade into another HM flops a perfect example for how low it is reached.

Ok, good deal.

Willmark

The film itself has received mixed reviews, and I don’t recall anyone here offering a negative assessment of its content, acting, etc. The complaints that have been voiced concern the motivations of some of those involved in the film. I myself would quite like to see it, but I’m reluctant to put money in the pockets of individuals who promote harmful conspiracy theories (a personal red line for me).
You’re right, people are objecting about those who support the movie and just who is going to see it. Which is far worse than a quibble over the content.
What are the complaints about the actual content of Sound of Freedom? I haven’t heard any.
read above.

LittleBuford

You're selling it a bit short. They did a jungle book remake in 1994 and I think they did Dumbo drop in 1995. So we're going on almost 30yrs. The remakes are completely on brand for Disney, unfortunately.
I was referring to the current and continual stream of remakes—one every year or so—but I obviously agree that they’re hardly a new phenomenon.

LittleBuford

You’re right, people are objecting about those who support the movie and just who is going to see it. Which is far worse than a quibble over the content.
To be clear, that not what I’m objecting to. My post didn’t refer to the film’s supporters or audience, but to those involved in its creation.

Willmark

To be clear, that not what I’m objecting to. My post didn’t refer to the film’s supporters or audience, but to those involved in its creation.
And to be clear, I’m pointing out that people here who didn’t like Sound of Freedom did not see it and were critiquing it based on who saw it and who supported it.

And in a non confrontational way with this next part: I‘m well aware you chose to frame it in terms of using the word content. Trust me, I knew what your objection would be before I posted it and looked at the word content specifically in your post for quite some time.

celluloid

You're selling it a bit short. They did a jungle book remake in 1994 and I think they did Dumbo drop in 1995. So we're going on almost 30yrs. The remakes are completely on brand for Disney, unfortunately.
I don't believe Operation Dumbo Drop is a remake. It is based on the true story with the nickname due to it being an elephant transport and an air drop with elephant from the 1960s Vietnam War. Just having the name as a joke does not mean it is a spinoff or remake anymore than Waking Sleeping Beauty is a follow up to Sleeping Beauty.
What we do have with current amount of remakes and sequels is progression, to where now that is the majority and fatigue. The lack of quality also accelerated.
That was all in a time period(Early 90s towards mid) where there were many Touchstone originals and original animated stories annually. Remakes were not a norm. Funny you bring up Jungle Book. Huge deal in 1994 to have a remake. People were not crazy about it. Disney less than a decade ago remade it again. There is a reason by the late 90s and early 200s had all the sequels as straight to home video. Original big risks were still being taken and live action.And since then the variety has diminished.
This hurts the entire company for when they do try something original, the results diminish out of lack of trust when the quality of the others spelled fatigue. Encanto should have done a lot better theatrically. Elemental maybe too, but Pixar has sequel after sequel and a spinoff these past eight years among the few originals, it hurt their brand itself. Relying on them and the snake eating itself for so long has been off brand.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

And to be clear, I’m pointing out that people here who didn’t like Sound of Freedom did not see it and were critiquing it based on who saw it and who supported it.

And in a non confrontational way with this next part: I‘m well aware you chose to frame it in terms of using the word content. Trust me, I knew what your objection would be before I posted it and looked at the word content specifically in your post for quite some time.
I don’t understand your post.

The content of the film is such that I want to see it. I like thrillers. But some of the people involved in the film, and who would profit from my paying to see it, espouse what I consider to be dangerous conspiracy theories. I therefore choose not to give them any of my money.

It’s a shame, because the film’s director feels just as uncomfortable with the conspiracy-theory connection as I do. But the situation is what it is.

Last edited:

DKampy

And personally, because it was rated PG-13 and not marketed to small children, even if it did claim that Allan was gay or something, that would have been fine with me because of its intended audience of teens and adults.
I clearly don’t understand your line of thinking…there is no difference between a straight couple or gay couple other than who they are attracted to…I am not sure I get what is so offensive about having a character who happens to be gay in a Disney movie…I don’t have kids of my own, but I have nieces and nephews and I would like them to grow up in a world that is inclusive of everyone

BuddyThomas

I clearly don’t understand your line of thinking…there is no difference between a straight couple or gay couple other than who they are attracted to…I would think you would get that being someone who claims to be gay, but leans toward a certain side…I am not sure I get what is so offensive about having a character who happens to be gay in a Disney movie…I don’t have kids of my own, but I have nieces and nephews and I would like them to grow up in a world that is inclusive of everyone
Thank you very much.

LittleBuford

I clearly don’t understand your line of thinking…there is no difference between a straight couple or gay couple other than who they are attracted to…I am not sure I get what is so offensive about having a character who happens to be gay in a Disney movie…I don’t have kids of my own, but I have nieces and nephews and I would like them to grow up in a world that is inclusive of everyone
He's explained before that he thinks it should be left to parents to decide when their children learn about same-sex attraction. The problem with this line of thinking is that we now live in a society where same-sex relationships aren't supposed to be taboo anymore (though they clearly remain so in the eyes of many) and where gay marriage has been legal for some years. It's simply impossible to "protect" children from knowing about the reality of the world around them (which is to say nothing of the fact that gay children deserve to see this kind of representation).

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

Indeed. The Buzz of Lightyear really has nothing to do with the Buzz of the Toy Story movies. What should have been a fun backstory was turned into something utterly tedious.
I mean, it's still 74% critic positive and 84% audience positive on Rotten Tomatoes so I don't really think it was "utterly tedious". I didn't think it was a masterpiece, but I sure had a good time and the animation was flawless.

LittleBuford

I mean, it's still 74% critic positiver and 84% audience positive on Rotten Tomatoes so I don't really think it was "utterly tedious". I didn't think it was a masterpiece, but I sure had a good time and the animation was flawless.
We can agree to differ. You hated Haunted Mansion whereas I really enjoyed it, so personal taste has a lot to do with it.

TP2000

Holy crap. Here I was offline all evening, drinking a Trader Joe's weekly wine special and watching old episodes of The Hollywood Palace on YouTube, eventually dancing around the beach house to Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass, while this thread drifted way off topic into whether or not I'd spent my time online since 1995 "pretending" to be gay.

I'm not sure if I'm flattered, or slightly creeped out by that. 🤣

At least Herb Alpert knows the truth...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom