Little Mermaid in 3D canceled

Pixiedustmaker

Not sure if this is the proper place for this thread, but I added it under FLE because I thought it would relate to the new Mermaid ride...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/15/the-little-mermaid-3d-canceled-disney-animated-theaters_n_2481134.html?icid=maing-grid7|maing6|dl2|sec3_lnk3&pLid=257742

Any idea as to why? The other releases seem to generate easy money. And it seemed odd given the cross promotion possibilities with the new ride...

Obviously fans would pick a new Pixar/Disney animated film over a 3-Dization of a prior film. Lion King was one of the biggest animated hits of all time before Pixar, and being the first 3-Dization, it may have had a novelty that wore off.

I wonder how long the lines for Mermaid are at MK?

Given DCA's version of Mermaid, I can't help but feel that the attraction hurts the franchise. Since it only costs a couple million to the 3-D treatment, I bet they do it anyway on Mermaid since the work is partially done, and that they release it on 3D DVD.

If Maleficent is a success, I wonder if they might consider doing a live-action Mermaid film, maybe even change the story a bit (they changed the story for the ride). I think a live action Mermaid film could even be magical and a bit mysterious if they focused on Ursula before/during she became a sea witch. And who wouldn't want to see an Ariel with a human top-half and a CGI Mermaid tail bottom? The Mermaids in Pirates look pretty cool.

Mermaid the ride is sort of . . . late to the game in terms of an attraction, and something needs to be done to reinvigorate the franchise, outside of the adventures of Melody.

wdw71fan

Obviously fans would pick a new Pixar/Disney animated film over a 3-Dization of a prior film. Lion King was one of the biggest animated hits of all time before Pixar, and being the first 3-Dization, it may have had a novelty that wore off.

Given DCA's version of Mermaid, I can't help but feel that the attraction hurts the franchise. Since it only costs a couple million to the 3-D treatment, I bet they do it anyway on Mermaid since the work is partially done, and that they release it on 3D DVD.

If Maleficent is a success, I wonder if they might consider doing a live-action Mermaid film, maybe even change the story a bit (they changed the story for the ride). I think a live action Mermaid film could even be magical and a bit mysterious if they focused on Ursula before/during she became a sea witch. And who wouldn't want to see an Ariel with a human top-half and a CGI Mermaid tail bottom? The Mermaids in Pirates look pretty cool.

Mermaid the ride is sort of . . . late to the game in terms of an attraction, and something needs to be done to reinvigorate the franchise, outside of the adventures of Melody.

lines have been 60-90 during heavy days.. last night it was a walk on... just depends on crowds.

Cosmic Commando

Jim Hill said something (I think it was on the now-MIA Magical Definition podcast) about difficulties with the conversion because a lot of the stuff that isn't the main focus on the screen just wasn't drawn/animated very well... and a lot of that stuff would end up in the foreground "closest" to the audience. Of course, this is the guy that told us we should be thankful for all of the DVC's and Golden Oak mansions, but just throwin' it out there.

Can we go yet?

Um, why don't they just re-release their movie's every other month like they used to way back in the day? One of the first movie's my brother saw in theaters was Song of the South! Ok, a movie didn't go so well, I get that but Little Mermaid is more nostalgic and more loved (my opinion) than Monsters Inc, I think it would have done better. :/ Man.

doctornick

Um, why don't they just re-release their movie's every other month like they used to way back in the day?

Yeah, this. Personally, the 3D is a deterrent -- the cost is too high and IMHO doesn't add anything to these animated films. Plus, with my youngest (who is now starting to be able to sit through a movie), he doesn't keep the glasses on.

If Disney would just pick, say, one classic movie a year to release in theaters in regular 2D, I think it would do great. Parents like myself are always interested in things to do with the kids and there is a nice experience with going to the movies. Just re-release films the year before they intent to release them from the "vault" for DVD.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like easy money to me.

Sped2424

Just out of curiosity how does the attraction hurt the franchise? :eek: I thought the ride was nice I agree its not the best ride disney has ever produced but I think its a little harsh to say it hurts the mermaid franchise, if anything its bringing relevance to it again (Trust me my niece was going wild to see Ariel "Swim with Sebastian")

Pixiedustmaker

Just out of curiosity how does the attraction hurt the franchise? :eek: I thought the ride was nice I agree its not the best ride disney has ever produced but I think its a little harsh to say it hurts the mermaid franchise, if anything its bringing relevance to it again (Trust me my niece was going wild to see Ariel "Swim with Sebastian")

The five year old Ariel super fan in our family doesn't really care for the ride in DCA. Beats me . . . we do Ariel's Grotto (Princess meet and greet during lunch) each time, ask her if she wants to go on Mermaid, she usually rides it once, isn't super excited and declines to ride it again even though there are 5 minute waits. She has half a dozen Ariel/Ursula dolls and all the Little Mermaid DVDs including the sequel.

I think that MK's Mermaid's rockwork probably helps the ride a lot as the Mermaid facade in DCA is so freakin' cheap! I know that they wanted it to match with Paradise Pier (which is odd as Paradise Pier is uber cheap and tacky), and that it is supposed to look like old buildings that house aquariums, but it's really just a big ugly Barnes and Noble style box construction, with a smattering of details that are tacky.

I just find Mermaid so un-magical. Ariel looks OK, Ursula looks good, but the ride doesn't transport me anywhere, it reminds me of the Mickey Mouse Revue they used to have in MK, which was shuttered. Fake plastic fish, cheap ending scenes (cheap second half?), screens used for three different scenes (I don't think screens work well in Fantasyland rides), and minimal details elsewhere throughout the ride, the fake cardboad cut Ursula . . . so much could have been done and it wasn't. Plus, they just recycled the omnimover system instead of building something a lor more open so you could see around you, not that there is a lot to see.

Maybe MK's Mermaid helps the franchise a little bit, but in DCA the combination of Ariel's Grotto (princess dining) and Mermaid in DCA is so tacky and sad, IMHO, as Ariel doesn't deserve to live in such a . . . rundown neighborhood. Paradise Pier, is awful, they have a rundown Pier area with a net full of fake dead fish and the area looks just horrible.

Mermaid has to be the first attraction at a Disney with zero-wait that I wouldn't really be interested in seeing again! I'd gladly ride Pirates, HM, Small World even Mickey's Fun Wheel if there was five minute wait, but not Mermaid. I feel they did what they thought was the bare minimum for such a ride, which would be three advanced animatronics and every single last detail was done cheaply after this. Scuttle's a great character, but he really grates on the nerves with his loudish/clueless blabbering at the beginning of a ride that never took itself seriously, and his ending speech which is easy to miss and heartless.

I would like to see Mermaid's rockwork in MK at some point. MK's Mermaid (based on the video I saw), has a *much* better submersion scene, and so much better lighting on Ursula. At DCA Flotsam and Jetsom didn't seem to work during the first year, you could hear their voice, but not see them, and they messed around with black lights on the entrance to Ursula's lair. Ursula is good, but they could have done so much more with a second Ursula elsewhere in the ride, and I would say that Ursula is too close to the clamshells, such that it is obvious she's an animatronic and oblivious to the presence of the guests. Small things like this seem to add up to drain the magic away.

Pixiedustmaker

lines have been 60-90 during heavy days.. last night it was a walk on... just depends on crowds.

In DCA, Mermaid was listed as having a 5 minute wait last time I went, which really just meant it was a walk-on. They built a huge queue, and it really isn't used at all, so I'm still shocked that MK's Mermaid is sustaining long lines. Obviously, though, DCA's Mermaid looks more like a generic shop than an attraction.

Welcome to the Mall! Or maybe its a movie theater?

5993073214_0f89687873.jpg

Versus, where's the line for what must be an awesome attraction?

Be-Our-Guest-Restaurant-Front-Entrance-HDR-1024x677.jpg

cookiee_munster

i can only imagine the fact that the film was the last film to be hand painted and not digitally colorized that, that could be one of the problems for the conversion. Another is box office potential. as great as the film is, i can't see huge lines of people wanting to go see it, seeing as they properly already have it on vhs/dvd.

it would be nice if a 3D bluray was released, then at least people have the option to see it if they wish. i just hope the conversion to blu is as good as most of the diamond editions.

The Duck

I saw "Beauty and the Beast" in 3-D and as much as I love the film, I was disappointed.
When they add 3-D to a computer-generated cartoon such as "Tangled" or "Brave", you can truly see and appreciate the added depth of the scene. When 3-D was added to a hand-drawn cartoon like B&B, the added depth was OK but the characters still looked flat. It was almost like looking at a giant pop-up book on the screen.
Ironically, the point was driven home by releasing "Tangled Ever After" in 3-D on the same bill as "Beauty and the Beast" in 3-D. The contrast between the 2 films was almost jarring and I left the theater feeling that the short was more entertaining than the feature.

wdw71fan

In DCA, Mermaid was listed as having a 5 minute wait last time I went, which really just meant it was a walk-on. They built a huge queue, and it really isn't used at all, so I'm still shocked that MK's Mermaid is sustaining long lines. Obviously, though, DCA's Mermaid looks more like a generic shop than an attraction.

Welcome to the Mall! Or maybe its a movie theater?

5993073214_0f89687873.jpg

Versus, where's the line for what must be an awesome attraction?

Be-Our-Guest-Restaurant-Front-Entrance-HDR-1024x677.jpg

that's the entrance for Be Our Guests, not Mermaid.

Condorman

Cookiee has it right. TLM (film) was the last Disney movie made using hand-drawn art -- actual paint to cels. It was not done using computers, whereas BaTB (film) and forward were. Converting TLM would have required a James Cameron/Titanic or George Lucas/Star Wars devotion from the upper brass and that just wasn't going to happen. In short, converting everything since TLM is "the push of a button." Converting TLM would have taken a lot of man hours and a lot of money, and that's just not Disney's style.

WED99

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but is this how the original hand drawn films are converted to better quality and 3D.

They get all the original cels, set them up on the multiplane camera (which now has a nifty new HD 3D camera) and photograph every frame. The better quality is due to the better camera, is this correct?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom