Rumor Lion King Flume Ride being considered for Animal Kingdom

Bocabear

see, I don't think having a tertiary character in a film that has interactions with animals is enough to justify it... and would Indiana Jones being in a jungle justify it for the purists?...If those are ok, why not Mystic Manor... all the action is triggered by a Monkey...which is one of the primary characters in the IP vs a side character that likes animals....and who wouldn't prefer Mystic Manor to Encanto? I personally think Indiana Jones fits the feel of the park...being adventure in exotic locales.... Not so sure about Encanto... it is a film about Family with magical powers...and the very human side of being a family and being accepted.... to me that seems more off than any of the other choices....

Tha Realest

Did Animals play a big part in Indiana Jones? or Encanto? yes there were animals in the film but hardly played a big part in the movie....and aside from background, animals really played no part in Indiana Jones. I am not against an Indiana Jones attraction at DHS, but lets not fool ourselves into thinking that either of those films were about animals....lol
A recurring gag in the films is how the main character hates snakes. So, an odd choice for DAK.

doctornick

see, I don't think having a tertiary character in a film that has interactions with animals is enough to justify it... and would Indiana Jones being in a jungle justify it for the purists?...If those are ok, why not Mystic Manor... all the action is triggered by a Monkey...which is one of the primary characters in the IP vs a side character that likes animals....and who wouldn't prefer Mystic Manor to Encanto? I personally think Indiana Jones fits the feel of the park...being adventure in exotic locales.... Not so sure about Encanto... it is a film about Family with magical powers...and the very human side of being a family and being accepted.... to me that seems more off than any of the other choices....

I think Mystic Manor, as is, would be a perfectly great addition to DAK. Not every attraction has to tie slavishly to the overall park theme. Having Albert is IMHO just fine as long as the location of Lord Mystic's mansion is appropriate in the location (i.e. he built it in Harambe or in Anandapur, etc).

Brer Oswald

"No more unoriginal IP attractions!"

*Disney creates a new original story based on IP*

"I can't believe they didn't include everything from the movie!"

🙄🙄🙄
Nobody wants this though. They either want brand new, completely original concepts. Or, they want an adaptation of the IP into a theme park ride that brings the best moments from that IP and captures them in a physical space. Nobody wants to see Simba’s birthday party after the movie. They want to see the Pride Lands, the bombastic musical numbers, and Simba fighting Scar.

doctornick

Nobody wants this though. They either want brand new, completely original concepts. Or, they want an adaptation of the IP into a theme park ride that brings the best moments from that IP and captures them in a physical space. Nobody wants to see Simba’s birthday party after the movie. They want to see the Pride Lands, the bombastic musical numbers, and Simba fighting Scar.

Well, I guess I'm nobody because I'd certainly prefer using TLK to tell a new tale using those characters over just doing a book report and repeating the same songs. I think TLK would be great as the bones for a ride showing the reality of the "Circle of Life" in Africa and nature in general. Kind of like the old movie in Epcot but doing it with a more animal/nature bent featuring the characters from the film.

If I wanted to watch the film, I would watch the film.

erasure fan1

Well, I guess I'm nobody because I'd certainly prefer using TLK to tell a new tale using those characters over just doing a book report and repeating the same songs. I think TLK would be great as the bones for a ride showing the reality of the "Circle of Life" in Africa and nature in general. Kind of like the old movie in Epcot but doing it with a more animal/nature bent featuring the characters from the film.

If I wanted to watch the film, I would watch the film.
This is one of the great debates of fandom. To book report or not to book report, that is the question. I see it both ways, it all depends on the IP. Movies like princess and the frog or lion king will make great book report rides in my opinion. They're films I would like to "be in the movie". Where as something like Encanto you could do a dark ride haunted mansion style exploring the house with the different songs going as you hit different parts of the house.

The problem I have with creating a new story for a ride is, are you going to create something as good as the original? Just look at princess and the frog. How much better could splash have turned out if they followed the film? The shadow man, the frogs, Ray... it all would have made a great build up to the drop. There's really no right or wrong answer in my opinion. It needs to be looked at through the lens of, what works best and makes sense for the ride.

MJL92

I don't want this though.
FIFY. No need to use all-inclusive wording to strengthen your subjective opinion. But no book reports outside of fantasyland please. And original attractions are cool, but IP driven original storylines can be even more effective.

Flight of Passage is my favorite attraction. I fell in love with it in 2017, before I had even seen Avatar. Then after watching the movie, I was even more attached to FoP. They took an immersive world from the movie, and made you feel what it was like to be a part of it. It works. The IP is an extra layer.

Rise of the Resistance is another excellent example. Almost every single attraction they've built this century is an original storyline built around an existing IP.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
Nobody wants this though.
Optimus Prime Brooklyn GIF by Transformers

easyrowrdw

In response to complaints about TBA, they have an opportunity to do something incredible with Scar in a “Be Prepared” sequence.
Did you see what Disney did to that song in the remake? I’m not expecting much here. I wish it would happen though.
Did Animals play a big part in Indiana Jones? or Encanto? yes there were animals in the film but hardly played a big part in the movie....and aside from background, animals really played no part in Indiana Jones. I am not against an Indiana Jones attraction at DHS, but lets not fool ourselves into thinking that either of those films were about animals....lol
As we learned in The Last Crusade, Indiana Jones is a dog. A dog is an animal. There ya go.

erasure fan1

As we learned in The Last Crusade, Indiana Jones is a dog. A dog is an animal. There ya go.
Unfortunately this might be the most accurate assessment of how Disney justifies connections. Hey, Woody is a cowboy. Cowboys are from westerns. It's settled, Woodies rootinest tootinest runaway railway to replace thunder mountain! We're geniuses!

Bocabear

Its really not that hard to tie Indiana Jones into Animal Kingdom.
I agree completely... and unpopular opinion, but I think Lion King is not such a great idea... I would rather see Jungle book turned into a great Dark ride... the characters are more fun, the settings more engaging... After the plotline of the movie, I really don't care what happened next... Simba was king , he and Nala had cubs and the circle of life goes on... There has to be some better ideas for Animal Kingdom than Lion King... The show is enough. Mystic Point with the ride, garden of wonders, and an Adventurers Club... I would rather see that than any book report ride about Encanto...and it would feel like a better fit for the park than a "magical family house" ride... Albert the monkey merch would fly off the shelves too.

Po'Rich

Not every attraction has to tie slavishly to the overall park theme.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this point. The more Disney builds attractions that don't fit with the theme the less cohesive the theme. Eventually, one ends with a mish-mash like HS. AK could easily change from one of the most cohesive-themed parks in the world to just another amusement park with some animals thrown in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom