Limited Time Magic: Is this Working?

Is this a good idea?

• Yes. Good idea, I like it.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • Yes. Good Idea, Horrible Execution.

Votes: 36 38.3%
  • No. Bad idea. Horrible Concept from the start.

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • No. Bad Idea. Could still somehow work tho.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I don't care one way or the other about Limited Time Magic.

Votes: 22 23.4%

• Total voters

CMV

Is is better than nothing? Yes, although you'd never know it by the reaction in this thread.

That being said, I'm going to enjoy the Voices of Liberty for the first half of my trip, and whatever else they throw out there on Friday morning. Even an undewhelming LTM offering is better than whatever else I'd be doing next week.

PolynesianPrincess

I think we all know by now Disney's really awesome cool stuff isn't awesome or cool at all. It seems to me like a halfhearted attempt at giving us a little something more. But in reality, it's just really lame. I don't expect much of anything from TDO anymore.

rct247

I hate this campaign now. It's a joke. I was somewhat excited to see what it could bring, even though I wasn't fond of the name. The return result so far has been lackluster. Very minimal effort. Very minimal impact. Very minimal cost. As a result, it comes off as very minimal. It doesn't seem to draw in more people. It doesn't seem to be a hit among passholders and the fan community, and even the cast don't seem that excited or even knowledgeable about it. Here is what I posted for ideas in another thread:

I think the limited time magic shouldn't just be week long, but a month long. The lineup would something unique at each park for the entire month for it to actually be enjoyed.

I don't have any detailed ideas, but some I thought of would be.
-October at Disney's Hollywood Studios at night Sunset Blvd transforms into Halloween 1939 with tons of themed characters and lots of lighting and project effects to simulate a storm coming with it all coming down to a simulated lightning strike at Tower of Terror.
-December at Epcot World Showplace transforms into a true Winter Wonderland complete with real falling snow, a real indoor ice rink, and a snow playground for kids with special holiday meet and greets.
-September at Epcot is Retrospective Days where specific showings in the Magic Eye (Imagination) theater reshow all the previous films shown at Epcot ranging from Magic Journeys to the Making of Me, etc. Old Epcot characters would make appearances and even a return of Surprise in the Skys might return.
-April at Disney's Animal Kingdom is an Earthly Celebration which would feature Earth Day exhibits, special character returns, food booths offering truly exotic food samples, and a party atmosphere throughout the streets.
-August at Magic Kingdom Tomorrowland comes alive for the Intergalatic Space Exposition which would brings a special show to the Tomorrowland Stage, lots of unique alien characters wondering around, and fun future that never was exhibits and activities.
-March at Disney's Hollywood Studios is Movie Mania with sets from famous films set up with Disney characters playing the role of famous stars. At night in addition to Fantasmic, guests can also view full showings of classic Disney films under the stars on a giant screen set up at the Lights Motors Action theater. On select days, famous movie stars will visit the Studios to limited engagement meet and greets. The Premire Theater will host question and answer sessions for guests wanting to learn more about the film business and special merchandise including an all access pass to the legendary "Disney Vault" of Disney movies will allow guests to purchase any Disney movie ever made.

Computer Magic

Dave: What did you find decent about true love week? We were there and didn't see anything. I was looking forward to that week since we were already booked. The Cast Members at MK seemed clueless after what was being offered. When we did find the merchandise, it looked like crap.

Mickey and Minnie was together with some cheesy True Love sign. WHich was cut off in our picture. I was hoping for a different outfit.

Even as the week went on and we visited other parks, we found nothing. The CM we asked knew nothing.

CP_alum08

We were there this weekend and found the True Love stuff to be cute. It wasn't overly obnoxious and if you weren't looking for it you probably wouldn't see it, which I think is exactly what this promotion was intended to be. I don't think it's going to bring many guests in, it's just a nice little bonus for the ones already there.

I'd absolutely rather have this than the year of a million dreams thing still going on. At least this way all the guests can participate if they choose rather than just picking 2 or 3 families a day to receive something.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you go back to Al's early rumors on this area... It was much more ambitious... Things like actual attractions or shows. The horseshoe revue is the only one that is even in that type of scale. And even then the story was about the dlr ap holders... Not a multipark yearly campaign. It sounds like the idea was scaled out... But done on the cheap and without a ton of buyin.

ddbowdoin

So we're Six weeks into this Limited Time Magic thingymabobby.

Is it working? Does this appeal to you at all? Does it make you want to go to WDW?

So far, we've had a mere 2 weeks of things that even seem decent. Long Lost Friends and the Love week.

It seems to me that this was a half-baked idea that was created by some junior marketing executive who walked in with make 3 or 4 ideas for the entire year and has yet to come up with anything else.

It's a nice perk but in no way a deal breaker. I wouldn't plan any trip around the LTM events. If it happens to fall on a week I am there, sweet... if not, I won't lose any sleep.

Ariel484

For those who have visited since this started, is it well promoted once you're on property? If you just showed up for a day and went to EPCOT, would you be aware of a LTM magic event in MK? Just asking, because there is the chance it would be a LTM event a guest would be interested in. Nothing worse than coming home and finding out you missed something several weeks later.
I was in WDW for Marathon Weekend (1/9-1/14) and have no idea what was going on while I was there. Granted I was a walking zombie from the races, but still...

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Dave: What did you find decent about true love week? We were there and didn't see anything. I was looking forward to that week since we were already booked. The Cast Members at MK seemed clueless after what was being offered. When we did find the merchandise, it looked like crap.

Mickey and Minnie was together with some cheesy True Love sign. WHich was cut off in our picture. I was hoping for a different outfit.

Even as the week went on and we visited other parks, we found nothing. The CM we asked knew nothing.

Mickey and Minnie had special outfits in DL -
tumblr_mi3epgKMT01qd6jmgo1_500.jpg

Genie of the Lamp

DL is executing their LTM events the way they should be done. They are generating buzz amongst the SoCal locals if I'm correct @raven24. Plus TDA is putting more effort into this promotion. WDW/TDO the opposite here. No effort and weak execution/line up. Only good one so far has been LLF week. Although if I had a loved one, maybe I'd rank the Valentine's week higher. But you get the point I'm making here.

Californian Elitist

DL is executing their LTM events the way they should be done. They are generating buzz amongst the SoCal locals if I'm correct @raven24. Plus TDA is putting more effort into this promotion. WDW/TDO the opposite here. No effort and weak execution/line up. Only good one so far has been LLF week. Although if I had a loved one, maybe I'd rank the Valentine's week higher. But you get the point I'm making here.

I very much enjoyed the Golden Horseshoe Revue. I didn't get a chance to participate in the other events. There's no doubt in my mind the DLR team is trying a lot harder than the WDW team. It's good to be a DL local right now.

Figments Friend

I see it as something more for the locals. They get some different events, but it's not something I'd travel across the country for. I'm just as happy to go at a time that's more convenient for me. The name of it is awful; it implies that the magic isn't around all of the time.
-
I agree...my impression has always been that this is more for attracting locals instead of creating something that would inspire people to base a out-of-state visit on.

The exception i see however is the upcoming Villians event on Sept 13th. THIS seems to be attracting the most attention, and i have read several comments elsewhere about people planning to visit then to take part in the party.

I like the idea of Limited Time Magic....a fun bonus.....but i think Disney could push this in a bigger direction and play it up in a bigger way.

Figments Friend

For those who have visited since this started, is it well promoted once you're on property? If you just showed up for a day and went to EPCOT, would you be aware of a LTM magic event in MK? Just asking, because there is the chance it would be a LTM event a guest would be interested in. Nothing worse than coming home and finding out you missed something several weeks later.
-
The answer i would say : For the most part no.
I would not have known anything about LLFWeek when i was in town if i had not already learned about it elsewhere beforehand through fan connections/fan websites.
I knew where to look, and who to look for...but for the average Guest i think it was a complete surprise.
Surprises can be good...people can appreciate it.

asianway

-
I agree...my impression has always been that this is more for attracting locals instead of creating something that would inspire people to base a out-of-state visit on.

The exception i see however is the upcoming Villians event on Sept 13th. THIS seems to be attracting the most attention, and i have read several comments elsewhere about people planning to visit then to take part in the party.

I like the idea of Limited Time Magic....a fun bonus.....but i think Disney could push this in a bigger direction and play it up in a bigger way.
I think anyone thinking the Villains Dance Party is going to be a big deal is setting themselves up for dissappointment. DHS did a character dance party at the hat stage for Nightastic and it was underwhelming. Theyre just going to slap the mix n mingle characters into a melee.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom