'Lightyear' Coming Summer 2022

lazyboy97o

Trying to say that the movie failed because the movie has darker tones and a darker color palette and that it subconsciously swayed families to not go see it is too much. I mean Wall-E was dark and it did pretty ok at the box office.
It’s not too much. Colors absolutely have an impact on how people act and feel.

Below is a trailer for Wall•E and it is not dark. The scenes are Earth are muted, but the lighting is actually quite bright. Even when setting up the rather bleak premise of the beginning, it is countered by the scenes shown and the narration. The trailer also shows quite a bit of the more colorful space fantasy portions of the film, still focusing on the relationship with Eve and humor.

Prince-1

It’s not too much. Colors absolutely have an impact on how people act and feel.

Below is a trailer for Wall•E and it is not dark. The scenes are Earth are muted, but the lighting is actually quite bright. Even when setting up the rather bleak premise of the beginning, it is countered by the scenes shown and the narration. The trailer also shows quite a bit of the more colorful space fantasy portions of the film, still focusing on the relationship with Eve and humor.

There are a lot of reasons why Lightyear did not do well but the color palette has absolutely nothing to do with it.

lazyboy97o

There are a lot of reasons why Lightyear did not do well but the color palette has absolutely nothing to do with it.
When colors influence how people respond to everything from products to rooms, the idea that it somehow magically stops at movies is silly. There are people whose entire job is to work on the color of movies. There is nothing outlandish about the idea that people react to the visual design of a movie seen in a trailer.

Last edited:

Prince-1

When colors influence how people respond to everything from products to rooms, the idea that it somehow magically stops at movies is silly. There are people whose entire job is to work on the color of movies. There is nothing outlandish about the idea that people react to the visual design of a movie seen in a trailer.

Actually it is very silly to think people didn’t see the movie because it was too dark but this conversation is even sillier so time to move on. Deuces!

lazyboy97o

I think every Pixar "art of" book has a 2-page spread of the whole move in storyboard samples with a corresponding colour underneath each panel.
This reminds me, I have The Color of Pixar. From the Introduction by Tia Kratter:

“For me, color acts as the great glue that visually holds everything together. Much like a film soundtrack, it can help shape emotion, provide a smooth transitional arc from one shot to the next, even bind an entire sequence together. Color can direct the eye or move attention away; it can push tension or evoke a sense of tranquility.

“Here at Pixar, every film uses a color script to visually map the emotional highs and lows of the story from beginning to end. If the color in the film is working well it can send signals to the audience about the feelings of a scene without one line of dialogue.”

BuddyThomas

Here’s some color.

5226D071-2F05-492B-A395-61127562080E.jpeg

MarvelCharacterNerd

If you are the parent of a 5 & 7 year old, which of these are you taking your kids to:

1657589304137.png
1657589343744.png

1657589395849.png
1657589428638.png

1657589642794.png

1657589909139.png

1657589477426.png
1657589529080.png

1657589587768.png

1657589696012.png

And I have a mad love for Soul, but it's a movie about a guy having a mid-life crisis. That poster appeals to me as an adult with a love for music. Not to kids or parents. So muted, somber tones are appropriate given that life & death is also a key theme of the film.

But the Lightyear images are dark and terrifying. And Strange World looks scary (for kids), too.

Why do some of the above images appeal for kids & parents and others do not? Color. It is a key marketing component. And I do not know what Disney marketing was thinking with Lightyear, nor Strange World.

(I'll add that that particular Encanto poster is one of my favorite Disney posters EVER. Just gorgeous!)

EDITED: because I keep wanting to call the thing "Strange New World". It's either a Star Trek or Aldous Huxley mashup. lol

Last edited:

MarvelCharacterNerd

I really don't care who says thank you. They are great films, and the attempt to disparage them on this thread for multiple reasons (the colors are too dark - seriously????) is totally pathetic.
lol I'm not disparaging. I'm commenting on one of the reasons why some films may lack appeal at the box office and others have more. :)

Color palette is a consideration in entertainment marketing.

Screamface

People who attempt to speak for everyone (“no one likes this; no one likes that”) speak for no one.

The generalities of the audience is important when it comes to making successful films with wide spread appeal.

Of course there's a couple of Rick & Morty fans who go, "I recognise old serial voice over style," that mistake recognising reference for liking something. That doesn't mean it is wide spread.

Let's check back in when the film flops.

lazyboy97o

I really don't care who says thank you. They are great films, and the attempt to disparage them on this thread for multiple reasons (the colors are too dark - seriously????) is totally pathetic.
Recognizing that the film seriously underperformed is not disparaging it. Seeking to understand why that happened is not necessarily a reflection of the quality of the film, especially since it was not a case of word of mouth tanking interest. If color shapes how people feel watching a movie why would it not shape how they feel watching a trailer or commercial? Or is Pixar wrong to think color is important?

Prince-1

“I actually wanted to go head-to-head with Tim Allen, and then they didn’t let Tim Allen do it. I don’t understand that.” - Tom Hanks.

Maybe Tim Allen didn’t do the movie because he knew the color palette was going to be too dark and it would subconsciously turn families off from seeing it. ;)

Last edited:

Prince-1

John Hench is rolling in his grave with all of these “color doesn’t matter” comments.

“designing Disney” should be required reading to participate in this forum :p

Hey go back and show me where anyone said “color doesn’t matter“. What we said, in very easy to understand words, is that the movie didn’t fail because of the color palette that was chosen. Parents didn’t consciously or subconsciously say they’d skip Lightyear because it was to dark. I mean it was a good theory but there may be other more logical reasons to why it didn’t succeed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom