'Lightyear' Coming Summer 2022

Magenta Panther

Say, didja notice that WDW has removed Gonzo from the clock tower at Muppetvision?

no mo gonzo.jpeg

TP2000

This is about lightyear, not muppets

Thank you. Not sure how we got onto Muppets...

Here's the latest box office numbers as of this afternoon Pacific Time, with Lightyear's last five days in theaters ahead of it. It's going to probably end up with about $118 Million domestically. Overseas, Lightyear sits at $97 Million and has died just as fast overseas as it did here in the USA, for a global total of $215 Million. (I marked up a few other films, cause I want to use this screengrab in another movie thread)

It also appears that the Communist Chinese are quietly joining the Muslim nations and the Palestinian Territories of Israel in not allowing it to be shown in theaters; Lightyear has not yet been shown in theaters in Communist China and there's no known opening date for the film there. 🤔

A reminder about our dear friends in China... Since 2016, it is illegal in Communist China to depict homosexual relationships in any films or television, regardless of whether the content is aimed at adults or if the homosexual relationship is depicted without physical contact. A PG rated "family cartoon" like this with a quick Lesbian kiss appears to have no chance in making it past the Chinese censors.

LimpingLightyear.jpg

BuddyThomas

Here's the latest box office numbers as of this afternoon Pacific Time, with Lightyear's last five days in theaters ahead of it. It's going to probably end up with about $118 Million domestically. Overseas, Lightyear sits at $97 Million and has died just as fast overseas as it did here in the USA, for a global total of $215 Million. (I marked up a few other films, cause I want to use this screengrab in another movie thread)

It also appears that the Communist Chinese are quietly joining the Muslim nations and the Palestinian Territories of Israel in not allowing it to be shown in theaters; Lightyear has not yet been shown in theaters in Communist China and there's no known opening date for the film there. 🤔

A reminder about our dear friends in China... Since 2016, it is illegal in Communist China to depict homosexual relationships in any films or television, regardless of whether the content is aimed at adults or if the homosexual relationship is depicted without physical contact. A PG rated "family cartoon" like this with a quick Lesbian kiss appears to have no chance in making it past the Chinese censors.

View attachment 655986
Can I interest you in a cappuccino or anything at all that will stop your obsession with this??????????????

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Someone was comparing one user's obsession to tear down an IP with another user's obsession to tear down an IP. Has nothing to do with you, tho. Please, continue to post three posts in a row tearing down Lightyear like you did yesterday and ignore the Muppet reference.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

View attachment 655986
Just an FYI, China has blocked almost every US movie this year. They only allow about 20 US films a year to be released, some years even less (I'm betting this is one of those years). They are trying to ensure their own studios have guaranteed successes. And don't expect that to change anytime soon as Hollywood isn't trying to push to get releases in China anymore either.

And Lightyear wasn't the only US animated movie that didn't get released in China, Minions didn't get released in China either with no reason given why they wouldn't allow it. I think Bad Guys was one of the few that got a China release this year so far.

TP2000

Someone was comparing one user's obsession to tear down an IP with another user's obsession to tear down an IP. Has nothing to do with you, tho. Please, continue to post three posts in a row tearing down Lightyear like you did yesterday and ignore the Muppet reference.

Done! Don't worry, Lightyear will soon be on Disney+ for free, and Disney's stock value will continue to decline. ;)

Now, what did they spend that $200 Million production budget on Lightyear for again? Snacks?

My Gawd, do I love Jennifer Coolidge! Almost as much as I love Catherine O'Hara.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Huh. That's not good news for Burbank.
I don't see it as bad news. Hollywood survived for many many decades without China, and it can do it again.

In fact haven't you posted before that you thought that Hollywood should stop kowtowing toward the Chinese government? So you're getting your wish here.

Makes you wonder why we built them a Disneyland or two, doesn't it? 🤔

Two very different things. Vacation travel is still a big industry in China, and American companies are still a big draw for Chinese tourist. And so why shouldn't DIS try to get a piece of that too.

Magenta Panther

The problem is that there are still some people who think that not worshipping a bunch of has-been antique hand puppets is some kind of moral failure. So they try to bait me with it. That's how this convo got off-course.

But I do agree that TP2000 should continue to point out Lightyear's abject failure. Because it's fun to read the bitter denials going on in this thread. Carry on!

BuddyThomas

The problem is that there are still some people who think that not worshipping a bunch of has-been antique hand puppets is some kind of moral failure. So they try to bait me with it. That's how this convo got off-course.

But I do agree that TP2000 should continue to point out Lightyear's abject failure. Because it's fun to read the bitter denials going on in this thread. Carry on!
Yeah, he's only posted his disdain for the movie 17 bazillion times, and you started your own rants on page one before it was even released. I should also note that he hasn't even seen it and I doubt that you have either. All seems extremely reasonable to me. :rolleyes:

Dr. Nigel Channing

I may not like that you're right with how Muppet relevance is dwindling. It hurts when something that was special to your childhood begins to fade away, but I can't say you're wrong. Disney has tried to make the Muppets relevant to new audiences, they still have some fans, but it's not like it once was. I guess that's life.

I can't bring myself to agree that it's already game over for Kermit and pals, but it certainly seems like they're on borrowed time.

Ghost93

I can't bring myself to agree that it's already game over for Kermit and pals, but it certainly seems like they're on borrowed time.
I think that's no fault of Disney's and more just a reflection of how a majority of today's kids don't wan to watch a movie with puppet-like characters.

It's a shame, because I think both Muppet movies were pretty good!

TP2000

Ligthyear is releasing in 9 hours on Disney+. This is your last chance to see it in a theater, most likely. Fans should just go online and buy a ticket at their local multiplex but don't even have to go tonight, just to give Burbank their last 15 bucks for an empty seat before it ends up on streaming for free.

Lightyear looks like it will pull in about $225 Million in global box office, before it hits the Disney+ arrival tonight at Midnight (Burbank time). I'm happy to update the the final box office tally here tomorrow in more detail, after a luncheon date.

TP2000

I don't see it as bad news. Hollywood survived for many many decades without China, and it can do it again.

I actually agree with you. I'd love it if Hollywood and American media ignored China and their ridiculous censorship. Not to mention their current human slavery of religious minorities, political persecution, forced abortions, torture, minimal human rights, non-existent civil rights, etc., etc.

In fact haven't you posted before that you thought that Hollywood should stop kowtowing toward the Chinese government? So you're getting your wish here.

Yes, Communist China is one of the most evil and corrupt regimes on the planet. As Communism always seems to be. See above.

Two very different things. Vacation travel is still a big industry in China, and American companies are still a big draw for Chinese tourist. And so why shouldn't DIS try to get a piece of that too.

Nope. There's absolutely no way the business pitch for Shanghai Disneyland in 2009 in that Burbank conference room was... "Let's spend about 5 and a half Billion dollars and build them a big Disneyland Resort to help establish our brand and our franchises in the marketplace there, then in a few years they'll ban all our movies and refuse to let even our PG rated cartoons play in their country and so most of the franchises we could build in the park there will be without context or meaning for them." 🤔

Burbank built Hong Kong and Shanghai Disneyland at great expense so that the Disney brand and its popular family franchises could be impactful to that new marketplace, and extend the ability to get return on those expensive studio investments with a Billion new customers.

They didn't build the parks there so that the characters and themes of the various rides could be censored and forbidden from viewing by Chinese movie audiences.

But that gets me back to my long held belief that Disney never should have gotten in bed with the Chinese Communist Party to begin with. There's nothing of longterm good to ever come from Communism.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom