Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I've started to piece together a very disturbing theory that the Lights of Winter may not be installed this year at Epcot.

1. There has been no mention of it in any of the WDW press info put out this year.

2. There is no sign of the arches in the Epcot parking lot (they are usually there at this time being staged ready for the install).

I really hope I'm totally wrong on this, and that they are going to be there as usual. They are such an integral part of Epcot's holiday decor, and it would be terrible if they were no longer to be used.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Lights-of-Winter.htm

Can anyone shed anymore light on this one either way?

Thanks

WDW Vacationer

There have been rumblings that it WILL NOT happen...:(

Someone said something about the lights not being part of a "green initiative" or something to that effect...

EPCOT Explorer

:(

Well, that's great.:rolleyes::lol: Isn't this the center piece of EPCOT's display?

I know we can't get ride overlays, but can we at least get the lighting? Sheesh. Hopefully they are a bit late out, or something because of upgrades to LEDs or something else.

Was kinda looking forward to them, too....

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
There have been rumblings that it WILL NOT happen...:(

Someone said something about the lights not being part of a "green initiative" or something to that effect...

Who's the someone?

There is no such thing as a green initiative when it comes to things like this. We don't stop RnR launches, or ToT motors because they use the amount of electricity per launch/drop that it takes to run a small town.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
That's a big shame. It's my favorite Holiday piece at EPCOT. I was looking forward to it this year... :(

Remember it isnt confirmed yet. It's just that at the moment there is absolutely no sign of it actually being done.

WDW Vacationer

Who's the someone?

There is no such thing as a green initiative when it comes to things like this. We don't stop RnR launches, or ToT motors because they use the amount of electricity per launch/drop that it takes to run a small town.
It was mentioned somewhere on here...I'll find it...

Figment82

I just posted this in another thread, but I've been hearing rumors for months (actually, back in the spring) that they weren't going to have the Lights of Winter because they are switching to the "green" LED lights. Supposedly it would be too costly to switch over the LoW to this new standard.

I didn't want to say anything back then, as I wasn't sure, but it seems to be the case. If so, I'm very upset as the LoW was my absolute favorite thing about Christmas at WDW.

Here's hoping it will be back better than ever next year...

EPCOT Explorer

EDIT: Steve, maybe they still have time? HATW begins later this year, I think.

I just posted this in another thread, but I've been hearing rumors for months (actually, back in the spring) that they weren't going to have the Lights of Winter because they are switching to the "green" LED lights. Supposedly it would be too costly to switch over the LoW to this new standard.

I didn't want to say anything back then, as I wasn't sure, but it seems to be the case. If so, I'm very upset as the LoW was my absolute favorite thing about Christmas at WDW.

:brick:

Osborne got them...and why would a switch over take this long?! Quite disappointing.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.

It's not looking good because the current situation seems to support what you heard back in the Spring.

This will be a huge loss for Epcot if it turns out not to go ahead. A lot of holiday regulars and APers are going to be very upset.

The whole justification for losing the tree lighting ceremony last years was to give more space for people to enjoy the Lights of Winter. So now we could be looking at no Lights of Winter and no Tree Lighting.

DisneyNut2007

I think this is just another economy-related cutback.

And I think that once the economy heals, WDW will bring these lights back, along with Mickey's Tree-Lighting Treat, the Country Bear Xmas show, etc., all of which I can see as being victims of our tattered economy.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
EDIT: Steve, maybe they still have time? HATW begins later this year, I think.

:brick:

Osborne got them...and why would a switch over take this long?! Quite disappointing.

Its starting one day earlier this years on the 27th (28th last year).

EPCOT Explorer

^^^ there goes that theory! :lol: Sorry!

Thanks for the info.

It's not looking good because the current situation seems to support what you heard back in the Spring.

This will be a huge loss for Epcot if it turns out not to go ahead. A lot of holiday regulars and APers are going to be very upset.

The whole justification for losing the tree lighting ceremony last years was to give more space for people to enjoy the Lights of Winter. So now we could be looking at no Lights of Winter and no Tree Lighting.
Think that they would bring back the tree lights, instead?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom