Lights of Winter arches still behind Epcot

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Just an update on the LoW. The Lights of Winter arches are still in their normal storage location at Epcot. They have not been shipped anywhere, and are still in the protective wrappers.

RiversideBunny

If they are just sitting there they may not be making a come back. Something to do with their needing an upgrade.
But hark! Hope abides. Maybe those have nothing to do with Lights of Winter coming back because a new version is being fabricated in la la land by a magic contractor.

:)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Well, I suppose the good news is that they are wrapped, and haven't been shipped out....

As for the bad news.....:brick:

RiversideBunny

I got the impression from reading past comments that those aren't really viable themselves. In particular the bulbs they use aren't made anymore so no repair is really possible. There may be other limitations.

What I hope is that the dimensions and specifications were taken from those old units and sent to a fabricator to make new ones using the latest technology.

Save The Lights of Winter !
:xmas::xmas:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I got the impression from reading past comments that those aren't really viable themselves. In particular the bulbs they use aren't made anymore so no repair is really possible. There may be other limitations.

What I hope is that the dimensions and specifications were taken from those old units and sent to a fabricator to make new ones using the latest technology.

Save The Lights of Winter !

The Lights of Winter are very simple. Just a steel frame with lights attached. Wouldn't be hard to replace the old light fixtures with something new. Give me a plane ticket to Orlando, a box of bulbs, and a week, and I'll get it done ;)

harryk

Epcot and World Showcase looked naked last Christmas. The blue trees at the fountain stage were even worse. Hopefully WDW management has seen the lack of beauty and will do something with LOW this year. The World Showcase Christmas tree, although beautiful, needs the LOW to set it off and enable it to show it's true beauty.

Bring back the Lights of Winter!!:xmas::xmas:

215 days to go..

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The Lights of Winter are very simple. Just a steel frame with lights attached. Wouldn't be hard to replace the old light fixtures with something new. Give me a plane ticket to Orlando, a box of bulbs, and a week, and I'll get it done ;)
Do we by chance know that all of the arches are there? What I am wondering is if one or possibly 1/2 of one got shipped off somewhere to act as a template to make new ones.

RiversideBunny

Do we by chance know that all of the arches are there? What I am wondering is if one or possibly 1/2 of one got shipped off somewhere to act as a template to make new ones.

Yeah, I think there's something going on somewhere that we don't know about. Hopefully.
They just left most of them there to fake out people from 'England' and other places.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

I don't know. I remember when they were wrapped in the heavy sheeting that there was speculation/hope they were being sent off for a refurb. But I don't think they actually ever left the grounds. And we're starting to cut it close for time to get them out, refurbed, and brought back in time for the holiday season....:brick:

BrerFrog

I don't know. I remember when they were wrapped in the heavy sheeting that there was speculation/hope they were being sent off for a refurb. But I don't think they actually ever left the grounds. And we're starting to cut it close for time to get them out, refurbed, and brought back in time for the holiday season....:brick:

Let's hope that a lot of complaints regarding the lack of LoW made it to Guest Relations during the last holiday season. That would be a nice start.

RiversideBunny

There's something going on. It's too quiet out there. (Old movie line)

It could be that a new LoW is being made. Not exactly the same shape or dimensions as the old one but better.

Yes. That has to be it !

BrerFrog

There's something going on. It's too quiet out there. (Old movie line)

It could be that a new LoW is being made. Not exactly the same shape or dimensions as the old one but better.

Yes. That has to be it !

Or it could be that as we speak imagineers are trying to come up with a cheap and ugly way to replace "obsolete technology". :brick:

RSoxNo1

Haven't you heard? Light Bulbs are obsolete.

MinnieSummer

I think that if they were going to eliminate the LOW they wouldn't have bothered to wrap them up, they would have trashed them. So I have hope that something is going to happen with them. I just want it to be something really awesome as I truly missed them, and all the decorations around WDW last year.

aladdin2007

Maybe they will attach the turned off black spaceship earth triangles to them and they will finally light up. :brick: What is with epcot and things being half done and not used.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom