Lights, Motors, Action! accident yesterday.

Glasgow

I too am another big fan of the show -- I know it is dangerous but I really appreciate the complexity and excitement of the show.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not Hollywood STUDIOS? Where they recreate the movies, right?? Last time I checked many, if not most movies, involve stunts in some way or another... seems like a good fit to me, albeit a bit on the extreme side. (before you reply, I know they could tone it down or make it safer but it wouldn't be as exciting, IMO).

All that being said, I certainly hope everyone is okay.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I'm kinda doubting anything happen. There was an accident several weeks ago and it made the papers. Anyone actually seen a news story about this?

Well, we just got home tonight and I haven't had time to organize video footage or try to figure out how to post video on a forum. If you'd like to see the ambulance and firetruck coming in the backside of the stadium and the nice red streak down the tunnel wall I'd be glad to try and post the video. Believe what you want. I know what we saw. I have no motive to make something like this up. I like the show a lot. I just wanted to know if anyone had heard anything on the condition of the driver and try to share something we experienced.

xgp28

Well, we just got home tonight and I haven't had time to organize video footage or try to figure out how to post video on a forum. If you'd like to see the ambulance and firetruck coming in the backside of the stadium and the nice red streak down the tunnel wall I'd be glad to try and post the video. Believe what you want. I know what we saw. I have no motive to make something like this up. I like the show a lot. I just wanted to know if anyone had heard anything on the condition of the driver and try to share something we experienced.
I saw them unloading the stretcher out of the golf car ambulance but we were out of there not too long after. I would say based off the people working there reactions and the number of suits that showed up within 10 minutes something at least semi-serious happened.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Nothing in the news at all about any injuries at Disney. The car probably did what it was built to do-protect the driver.

I'm glad nothing was in the news. Hopefully in this case no news is good news. If the driver wasn't injured and all the hullabaloo that we saw was all precautionary then I'm that much more impressed. I really do hope this means the guy is okay and was uninjured!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I saw them unloading the stretcher out of the golf car ambulance but we were out of there not too long after. I would say based off the people working there reactions and the number of suits that showed up within 10 minutes something at least semi-serious happened.

Ugh! I'm so glad someone else saw it. Didn't the show seem just "off" from the start??? It wasn't just the stalled car. It was lots of little things and an overall feeling. Another thing that caught my eye was when the cars came off a ramp or something in front of our side of the stadium one of the cars sorta drove off the side of the ramp before it was down on the ground. It just all seemed off.

Space Mountain

I came across this thread while looking to see if anything was on the news. I agree with the OP that the entire show was off. Hopefully the driver is ok. I had my camera ready to try and get a good shot of the final jump and caught this.

DSC_0123.jpg

It was probably at this moment that the car Emergency Stopped itself..The entire system along with every vehicle is rigged to stop immediately if impact is detected. It can be reset quickly if need-be, but this could be a cause to the drive not being in complete control.

Kobe!!

It was probably at this moment that the car Emergency Stopped itself..The entire system along with every vehicle is rigged to stop immediately if impact is detected. It can be reset quickly if need-be, but this could be a cause to the drive not being in complete control.

Wow, what a clear and crisp picture! If I was to take a pic like this, I'm sure it would come out all blurry!

Thanks for sharing!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
The vehicles are set to E-Stop on any impact? :eek:

That in itself would be a serious safety hazard. Having a loss of power during an accident removes many options for evasive manoeuvring. I would never get behind the wheel of a vehicle rigged that way.

epcotWSC

I came across this thread while looking to see if anything was on the news. I agree with the OP that the entire show was off. Hopefully the driver is ok. I had my camera ready to try and get a good shot of the final jump and caught this.

DSC_0123.jpg

Nice picture, what camera did you use to take that?

marksniles

My concern is that the finale has a car driving right towards the audience. I mean really what if something horrible happens and he doesn't make it thorugh the tunnel. Just a thought.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My concern is that the finale has a car driving right towards the audience. I mean really what if something horrible happens and he doesn't make it thorugh the tunnel. Just a thought.
The car would hit the catch pads infront of the more than adequate concrete walls. This is Disney - they can`t afford the lawsuits.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The jump cars are finely balanced with mid mount engines - weight shifting shouldn`t be possible. I won`t speculate on anything else. I hope the response was a by-the-book precautionary measure.

hokielutz

I would just like to say, that I hope the driver and crew are fine after whatever incident occured that day.

Also, I just saw the show, for the first time, a few weeks ago during my Jan trip.
I liked it, and that was after reading all the horrible opinions on here. For what they do for the stunts and and all the changes, I didn't think the pacing was as bad as advertised. Also, for a January mid-week bow, the stands were about at 90% capacity when I looked around.

Like most live entertainment at the parks, this is not a show that I will do every single time I visit, but I will visit it again in the near future.

LMA

Based on the picture, it looks to me like the car stalled before it made it over the ramp. The cars have governors installed on them that locks the car into a specific speed whenever it's going into the air. This ensures that the car doesn't overshoot or undershoot the landing ramp. If you watch the show during Ballet Chase (the first scene), you'll notice that when the reverse hero heads from stage right to stage left the reverse hero and three pursuit cars give the folks on the stage a thumbs up. This lets the folks on the stage know that the governor on each individual car is working and the driver is good for the jump. If the driver can't get the governor to work for some reason, he would simply bypass the ramp and drive to the side of it.

That being said, there's no reason that I can think of for why the car wouldn't have landed right on target other than the car having stalled and the driver not having enough time to abort the jump.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom