Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

Purduevian

You make good points. I could quibble about people per room in the 5000 DVC rooms but your points are valid. I still think what Deluxe would book up much of return times in the morning before they hop to the next park at 2pm . This would make Genie+ even more unattractive. Also offsite would have tumble weeds left for them after onsite prebooks. The capacity is just too low no matter how they slice it. IMO
I expect something like this would come if they need to start selling more deluxe resorts, or just more resorts in general.

Capacity is far too low, but Disney would rather give that "good" capacity to the people paying $700 a night for a room.

DisneyNittany

Yeah I pitched something like this on a podcast or two. I do miss the pre-planning - I think if there was a way to book your first Genie+ and ILLs before the day of, it would a better "vacation", not getting up at 7 am.

I would just a roll a week ahead of your day...

Hell, the night before (after all park or after your next day reservation park has closed) would be a huge improvement. And, this is coming from an early bird who is up around 5a every day.

I'm all about @Chip Chipperson 's proposal, as we loved the old FP+ system and would gladly pay for it, but I'd even settle with just being able to book the night before.

Granted, when we went in February, it was for our daughter's first birthday, so we didn't even really try to utilize G+. Grabbed a few ILLs and would knock out other rides at rope drop, taking advantage of her nap times and rider swap. With that said though, I was looking at the app a lot throughout the day, to gain a better understanding of it and trends. Unless things change a bit by the next time we go, it is definitely a net negative for us, as it really complicates our old touring plans of:

• Go early and knock out rides with short waits
  • Stack FP+ between 10a-2p
  • Pool time from 2p-sunset
  • Back to whichever park we wanted to eat at (and maybe grab another FP+ or two)
Honestly, we'd be happy as can be even if they could only guarantee us three selections, since we've done the attractions enough times and mostly are there for the ambience, relaxation (or used to be), and food.

Jeff4272

This is a good read.....Shows how poorly designed Genie (-) is........and this article was written as only a single person trying to get Genie (-) selections.......This exposes all of the problems with the system. From having to get up at 6:30am to buy it EVERY DAY, "fastest finger" at 7:00:01, not enough attractions to support it, not being able to replace with losing it, causing a TON of stress, not being able to pick return times, criss crossing the parks, gaps in availability.......I could go on and on (and this doesn't even address the ridiculous cost)......I would never pay all that money for a hotel room not knowing i couldn't get on the headliner without waiting 2+ hours........

But i recommend reading this

rawisericho

This is a good read.....Shows how poorly designed Genie (-) is........and this article was written as only a single person trying to get Genie (-) selections.......This exposes all of the problems with the system. From having to get up at 6:30am to buy it EVERY DAY, "fastest finger" at 7:00:01, not enough attractions to support it, not being able to replace with losing it, causing a TON of stress, not being able to pick return times, criss crossing the parks, gaps in availability.......I could go on and on (and this doesn't even address the ridiculous cost)......I would never pay all that money for a hotel room not knowing i couldn't get on the headliner without waiting 2+ hours........

Jeff, I'm guessing you're a Florida resident?

dmw

In the Parks
No

I just read the blogmickey article... FP+ was definitely less stressful, and easier to use. Much better suited for our type vacation. We don't have any immediate trips planned, but I sure hope Genie + has changed by the time we go back.

WDWJoeG

I just read the blogmickey article... FP+ was definitely less stressful, and easier to use. Much better suited for our type vacation. We don't have any immediate trips planned, but I sure hope Genie + has changed by the time we go back.
You know what was even less stressful? No FastPass! No planning required, no tickets, no apps!

Just get in any line you want, whenever you want, and every line moves.

Ahhhhhh, such better times....

mikejs78

Premium Member
You know what was even less stressful? No FastPass! No planning required, no tickets, no apps!

I think that's nostalgia goggles to be honest. I know a few people who went in May/June of last year, before the Delta wave when everyone thought things were opening up again and it was starting to get crowded. This was no line skip of any kind, and multiple people told me that it was miserable not to be able to have a few times per day that they could skip a line.

G00fyDad

Yeah, they moved. Almost as slow as during line skip times. A 10 mile long line that is moving is as bad as a shorter line that slows from time to time to allow line skip passes through.

UNCgolf

I think that's nostalgia goggles to be honest. I know a few people who went in May/June of last year, before the Delta wave when everyone thought things were opening up again and it was starting to get crowded. This was no line skip of any kind, and multiple people told me that it was miserable not to be able to have a few times per day that they could skip a line.

I don't think it's entirely nostalgia -- I think the lines moved faster but were also shorter for the most part, if we're talking about going back to the 1990s. Attendance was lower and capacity was actually higher at EPCOT, and basically the same at the Magic Kingdom.

It's why the capacity problem is such a serious issue. The line skipping is almost a necessity because they simply don't have enough capacity to handle the increased attendance levels.

WDWJoeG

Yeah, they moved. Almost as slow as during line skip times. A 10 mile long line that is moving is as bad as a shorter line that slows from time to time to allow line skip passes through.
Hey, if you love this system and waiting for an hour for the teacups so you can get a "pass" for another ride, knock yourself out.

The system was created to make people "feel" like they are saving time - but it makes every ride's standby a disaster.

Not nostalgia goggles at all, remember my pre FastPass days very vividly on both coasts. Not to mention there are plenty of other parks without/very limited FP systems if you want to enjoy old school lines!

But hey, if you love planning like your invading Normandy, sticking to a schedule of rides, and watching your beard grow in standby lines, you must be in Heaven right now! Enjoy!

WDWJoeG

It's why the capacity problem is such a serious issue. The line skipping is almost a necessity because they simply don't have enough capacity to handle the increased attendance levels.
And no FastPass system can solve that - you can only get so many bodies through so many lines in a day.

You aren't raising the net per cap ridership with FastPass, you're just adding misery and complexity trying to hide it.

Gotta run, gotta try to get my FastPass+ for Aladdin's Magic Carpets and Goofy's Barnstormers!

Yup! That system was awesome!!!!

Last edited:

UNCgolf

And no FastPass system can solve that - you can only get so many bodies through so many lines in a day.

You aren't raising the net per cap ridership with FastPass, you're just adding misery and complexity trying to hide it.

Gotta run, gotta try to get my FastPass+ for Aladdin's Magic Carpets and Goofy's Barnstormers!

Yup! That system was awesome!!!!

I agree it doesn't solve it -- I wasn't a big fan of FastPass+.

However, because Disney has let capacity stagnate so much as attendance skyrockets, it was basically the only way to make the day even slightly enjoyable for some people. Otherwise your whole day was spent waiting in line, and even then you might only get in 6 or 7 attractions because they were 90+ minute waits. It wasn't like that in the 90s.

The only real solution is to add significant capacity everywhere -- multiple attractions as well as entertainment, retail, and dining space. But Disney is so far behind now that I don't think they'll ever make up the difference unless something happens to depress attendance.

G00fyDad

Hey, if you love this system and waiting for an hour for the teacups so you can get a "pass" for another ride, knock yourself out.

The system was created to make people "feel" like they are saving time - but it makes every ride's standby a disaster.

Not nostalgia goggles at all, remember my pre FastPass days very vividly on both coasts. Not to mention there are plenty of other parks without/very limited FP systems if you want to enjoy old school lines!

But hey, if you love planning like your invading Normandy, sticking to a schedule of rides, and watching your beard grow in standby lines, you must be in Heaven right now! Enjoy!
I will. Thanks.

Chi84

Premium Member
We visited several years prior to any line skip system and it was miserable. Most people want to ride the newest and most popular rides and the lines for those rides were long and slow-moving. But, yeah, you could get on the teacups faster.

The only thing worse than WDW's current line skip system would be all standby. Luckily, that's never coming back. There's a reason line skip systems exist in every major theme park. People want them.

WDWJoeG

We visited several years prior to any line skip system and it was miserable. Most people want to ride the newest and most popular rides and the lines for those rides were long and slow-moving. But, yeah, you could get on the teacups faster.

The only thing worse than WDW's current line skip system would be all standby. Luckily, that's never coming back. There's a reason line skip systems exist in every major theme park. People want them.
Of course people want them - because waiting in lines is the #1 complaint in every theme park. That doesn't mean they work or make a net better experience for everybody.

I will say for the parks that have them, the Universal Express Pass in Orlando is better both for the user (no planning or extra effort required) and the standby line. It needs to be that expensive and that percentage of people who have it to be workable at all (although the park was still better without it).

If Disney charged $500pp/day or reserved it only for Club Level at Deluxe hotels then it could be effective for those using it and minimize the impact on the standby lines.

The more people who have access, the more it doesn't work by definition.

Disney's system is a complete farce for everybody.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom