Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

Jeff4272

Thinking about my last trip... I visited Magic Kingdom with G+ and USO with Express pass (park to park) on back to back days.

Magic Kingdom from 9am-10pm with about 1.5 hours dedicated to Fireworks (waiting/the actual show)= 11.5 hours of park time. I got through 19 attractions or 1 attraction every 36.3 minutes. I did NOT get on 7D, with small world being the next biggest ride i missed.

The next day I went to USO (both parks) from 9-8 with an hour sit down meal and about a 30 minute wait/watch for Marti Gras Parade= 9.5 hours of park time. I got through 16 attractions or 1 attraction every 35.6 minutes. I did NOT get on Velocicoaster that day. Also missed Transformers and Rip Ride Rocket as 2 bigger rides.

Just interesting comparison for $15 per day per person vs staying at their deluxe resort for ~$550 a night. The big different was LL was almost always a 5 minute wait, where express pass varied from a walk on to a 25 minute wait. Also at universal I did wait in a 70 minute line for Hagrid's I never waited more than 35 minutes for anything at Magic Kingdom
Well you messed up bad at Universal by only getting on that many rides with Express Pass.....

You could have done that many in the first 4 hours of the day

rct247

Sounds like they're realizing they have the same issue they did with FP+ and need to add offerings for people to book.
And it likely won't stop there. They will continue to grasp at straws trying to add inventory capacity, but really they just hope people will get duped into seeing more "attractions" to choose from and hoping people pick those experiences to make the headliners go less quickly. In reality, it will just disappoint more.

pdude81

Interesting that they are adding offerings to Genie+ that weren’t previously a part of FP+.
Parades had fastpass at one time, and many other M&G had a FP option. I don't remember there being one at Red Carpet Dreams but if they are really going back to the traditional meeting method I think it will prove a popular option. And desperately needed at DHS

matt9112

I feel like the G+ take rate is too high....to the point it essentially has the same problems as FP+ simply not enough rides. So it's the new "floor" you need genie+. So basically disney makes alot more money but the fundamental capacity issues remain. This also explains why they are pumping crap into it. Shows etc. They really should just do the tried and true price model for an express pass type product.

matt9112

I don't discount that there is a big shift. Hell, I'm even a Uni passholder now and I hadn't been there for 20 years. However, I feel that cutting myself off from WDW would be cutting off my nose to spite my face. I'm one of those bad guys who is ok with the upcharges as long as I get what I want out of them.

I think it depends alot on how you can go. I havent been to disney since before covid and it has nothing to do with covid. I was riding roller coasters when half this forum was hiding under there beds. It's how garbage the APs are now. I go to uni still and it has been tough to get over it but I am over disney. I'm too poor for them anyway.

TikibirdLand

I think it depends alot on how you can go. I havent been to disney since before covid and it has nothing to do with covid. I was riding roller coasters when half this forum was hiding under there beds. It's how garbage the APs are now. I go to uni still and it has been tough to get over it but I am over disney. I'm too poor for them anyway.
I'm one of those bad guys who is ok with the upcharges as long as I get what I want out of them.
yeah, @pdude81 may need some professional help to get them off what they're smokin'. Maybe some professional help is needed? Maybe we can chip in for his methadone treatments... 🤣

Purduevian

Well you messed up bad at Universal by only getting on that many rides with Express Pass.....

You could have done that many in the first 4 hours of the day
It was an extremely busy day at Universal. if you ask any of the team members, they always tell you Express pass will be about half the regular standby wait time. It was usually more like a third or a quarter of that time, and a few times it was a walk on. When the standby line is 90-120 minutes for the big rides... wait times in express are easily 20 minutes and sometimes get up to 30+.

20-30 minute waits for Ollivanders (no express pass), Forbidden journey (x2), flight of the Hippogriff, Hogwarts express, Spiderman, Hulk, high in the sky (surprisingly), Gringotts, and Simpsons. So right there is ~4 of my park hours just in line for these rides.

Probably about 5-10 minutes for: Jurassic park, cat in the hat, men in black, ET, and despicable me. Lets call this about 45 minutes in line/walking through the lines.

Hagrid's was a 70 minute wait. No express for that, and we actually hit it when it was much lower than most of the day.

So total time in line= ~6 hours of my 9.5 hours were spent in line even with express pass.

Actual Attraction time:
Ollivanders 5 minutes, Journey (x2) 4 mins, hippogriff 1 min, Hogwarts express 4 minutes, Spiderman 5 minutes, Hulk 2 mins, high in the sky 5 minutes, Gringotts 5 minutes, men in black 4 minutes, Simpsons 4.5 minutes, Jurassic 7 minutes, cat in the hat 6 minutes, ET4.5 minutes, despicable me 8 minutes, Hagrid's 3 minutes

Total time spent on rides= 72 minutes
Total time spent in line or on rides= ~7.2 hours out of my 9.5 hours.
So I spent about 2 hours and 20 minutes "wasting" my time that day going in a lot of the stores, doing wand magic, taking pictures, using the bathroom, getting some food booth snacks, and walking between attractions.

Could I have done better? Probably by planning out better times to hit harry potter and marvel lands, however the whole point of express to me is to just jump in the line if you are by the ride you see. I also could have shopped or did wand magic a lot less and hit more rides, but that's part of the theme park experience to me. I spent a lot of time in stores at magic kingdom.

I was also in universal the next day and the crowd difference in both standby and express was noticeably different, almost everything was only a 5-10 minute wait in express when the day before. I only spent from 8-3 in the parks that day (we were driving to the beach) and hit 11 rides in those 7 hours, but waited for both hagrides and velocicoaster.

TikibirdLand

It was an extremely busy day at Universal. if you ask any of the team members, they always tell you Express pass will be about half the regular standby wait time. It was usually more like a third or a quarter of that time, and a few times it was a walk on. When the standby line is 90-120 minutes for the big rides... wait times in express are easily 20 minutes and sometimes get up to 30+.

20-30 minute waits for Ollivanders (no express pass), Forbidden journey (x2), flight of the Hippogriff, Hogwarts express, Spiderman, Hulk, high in the sky (surprisingly), Gringotts, and Simpsons. So right there is ~4 of my park hours just in line for these rides.

Probably about 5-10 minutes for: Jurassic park, cat in the hat, men in black, ET, and despicable me. Lets call this about 45 minutes in line/walking through the lines.

Hagrid's was a 70 minute wait. No express for that, and we actually hit it when it was much lower than most of the day.

So total time in line= ~6 hours of my 9.5 hours were spent in line even with express pass.

Actual Attraction time:
Ollivanders 5 minutes, Journey (x2) 4 mins, hippogriff 1 min, Hogwarts express 4 minutes, Spiderman 5 minutes, Hulk 2 mins, high in the sky 5 minutes, Gringotts 5 minutes, men in black 4 minutes, Simpsons 4.5 minutes, Jurassic 7 minutes, cat in the hat 6 minutes, ET4.5 minutes, despicable me 8 minutes, Hagrid's 3 minutes

Total time spent on rides= 72 minutes
Total time spent in line or on rides= ~7.2 hours out of my 9.5 hours.
So I spent about 2 hours and 20 minutes "wasting" my time that day going in a lot of the stores, doing wand magic, taking pictures, using the bathroom, getting some food booth snacks, and walking between attractions.

Could I have done better? Probably by planning out better times to hit harry potter and marvel lands, however the whole point of express to me is to just jump in the line if you are by the ride you see. I also could have shopped or did wand magic a lot less and hit more rides, but that's part of the theme park experience to me. I spent a lot of time in stores at magic kingdom.

I was also in universal the next day and the crowd difference in both standby and express was noticeably different, almost everything was only a 5-10 minute wait in express when the day before. I only spent from 8-3 in the parks that day (we were driving to the beach) and hit 11 rides in those 7 hours, but waited for both hagrides and velocicoaster.
Good review of the timing of a full day. Thanks!

Would love to see the same break down of a day with the Genie+ and LL's. For me, it's hitting all the live entertainment. Not sure what's running at Uni. We know what's running at the D parks. Is it comparable?

Purduevian

Good review of the timing of a full day. Thanks!

Would love to see the same break down of a day with the Genie+ and LL's. For me, it's hitting all the live entertainment. Not sure what's running at Uni. We know what's running at the D parks. Is it comparable?
I'll just link my trip report from reddit (think that's allowed here) for reference Magic Kingdom was Feb 26th and USO was Feb 27th and 28th (gave the larger breakdown before for the 27th). MK it was very easy to figure out timing on things because I screen shot every LL I make in case the system goes down. I know the order that I did things at USO, but the only times I know for sure are I got there at 8:55am had lunch at 12:30 (after hitting Ollivanders, forbidden journey, hippogriff, Jurassic park, spiderman, hulk, cat in the hat, and high in the sky), Marti Gras parade was at 7:15, and Minion Mayhem was the only thing we did after that

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How could Bob rip off guests even more?

By also offering a one price ride all offering to certain groups? Or by discounts for certain groups ?
I think you know that what they’re doing now isn’t working…it’s going to collapse on itself spectacularly…

So I’m actually open to anything that might shake it out.

If it sounds like I’m advocating for Disney to charge more and create more class warfare…it’s because I am.

What are the alternatives?

There’s one: recession and a travel glut

Scoop99

That's how Disney is handling advance purchases of Genie+; you have to add it for the entire length of your ticket. If you only want Genie+ for specific days, you have to buy it in the MDE app on the day you're going to use it.
Is that also true with AP w/ on site stay?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom