Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't imagine the individual purchase LL passes running out very often. The pricing is dynamic, which means they will aim to hike the price high enough such that demand roughly equals supply.

Which also would mean that the resort "perk" of being able to book these at 7am is completely worthless.
Ummm... most demand/surge pricing is least expensive at first, then when inventory lessens and they know they'll be able to sell all their inventory, *then* they raise prices. As inventory goes, prices rise (it's what Disney on Broadway pioneered and what most Broadway shows do now).

So, I'd expect the 7am resort perk for the LL$s would be beneficial as they should be cheaper in the morning when there's plenty of inventory.

The only way that it would be cheaper later in the day is if the inventory looks like it isn't going to sell out, and so, it gets discounted.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The $elect LL vs BG is gonna be interesting. How do they estimate the correct # of BG at 7 am without having some idea of the # of LL$ passes that will be sold. If they come up short, do they issue more BG later in the day? Or open the Standby/Standby return to “normies”?

Or I very well could be missing a piece of the puzzle cuz the whole blasted thing is so laboriously convoluted.
From what I've read so far...

When 7am rolls around and you're staying at a Disney resort you have two options once Genie has been released:

1. join the BG/Virtual lottery
2. buy a LL$

If you try the lottery first and win, you're set. If you lose, then you need to quickly try to purchase a LL$ for it (whether it be Rat or RotR).

Or you can avoid the lottery and just go for the LL$ if you have the disposable income.

Dunno if you can do both, or if they rig the system so that no one can ride more than once per day.

Non-resort guests only have option #1 at 7am. If they lose the lottery, they have to wait until the time the park is scheduled to open to try to buy a LL$.

As for how WDW is managing the inventory.... dunno. I would suppose they have X amount of lottery slots and Y amount of LL$ slots each day that they will adjust once they see the demand for LL$.

We saw this past Sunday that RotR opened to normies on an unusually slow day and they made it through all the BGs. So, that's always an option.

Cmdr_Crimson

To me it's just this in Digital Form..
J6rluJl942xV8NoANqmpgxkIL8cLne3QqdDrm5Cp3VxXW1g3E6t0hGXxEyV6xlTagkfNe1Fv9mPssubNvaBRTlze-bhkJw

Only way to balance it out is lower Admission prices into the park to make it seem like a better value...

sjf4291

I'm sorry if this has been asked before - but will there be a limit on how many people purchase genie+? If too many people purchase then there is going to be very limited options for fastpasses throughout the day and therefore really won't be worth the extra $15 per person per day!

MrPromey

To me it's just this in Digital Form..
J6rluJl942xV8NoANqmpgxkIL8cLne3QqdDrm5Cp3VxXW1g3E6t0hGXxEyV6xlTagkfNe1Fv9mPssubNvaBRTlze-bhkJw

Only way to balance it out is lower Admission prices into the park to make it seem like a better value...

If they were straight and said that "due to unprecedented demand" this is the direction they had to go, I'd be on board.

I'd still call BS due to the fact that they engineered the problem themselves but at least they'd be operating in semi-good faith instead of finding a way to monetize the problem they created.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Updated Bullet points:

No Genie
  • Show up, get in standby lines
  • Can still use MDE

Genie
  • The app that will plan your day 'for free' by guiding you to your preferred attractions (standby lines) throughout the day.
  • Coming "this Fall" (no, no one knows when exactly, please don't ask)

Genie+ [G+$]
  • Purchasing Genie+
    • Costs $15 per day per guest per day at WDW; costs $20 at DL.
    • G+$ can be bought on a day-to-day basis.
    • If you purchase a multi-day ticket/package, you can add G+$ for the whole stay.
    • APs can purchase G+$ per day on each day they attend.
      • It is unknown at this time if Disney will have an option to pay one price to add G+$ to an AP for every visit (like a Park Hopper Pass can be added).
  • Benefit: Lightning Lanes [LL]
    • G+$ gives you access to Lightning Lanes (LLs, previously, FP Queues), which are available one-at-a-time throughout the day.
      • In this way, you can schedule your LLs like Maxpass in DL or with the old paper passes.
    • Shows you the next available scheduling slot for a slew of rides (with the exception of select 'tier 1' rides) and you pick one, and show up at the time.
    • All guests can schedule their first LL at 7a at WDW. At DL, they can schedule their first LL once in the park.
    • You don't have to be in the park in which your next LL is scheduled (so, you can chose your LL at the resort, e.g., or at another park and then hop)
    • When can you grab your next LL? Book another LL when your return window opens for your current 'open' LL
      • (Possibly: or a new LL in 2 hours [or 90 minutes], whichever is sooner, which is the current DL practice of Maxpass). This needs confirmation
  • Benefits, Miscellaneous:
    • at DL, Genie+$ gives you Photopass and audio tour tracks
    • At WDW, G+$ doesn't give you photopass, but you get augmented reality lens and some audio tour tracks.

Individual Attractions Lightning Lanes $elect Experiences (LL$)
  • Buy up to two Lightning Lane $elections (formerly, "fastpasses") for select rides, which are most likely the old Tier 1
    • The select rides are most likely to be, but not fully confirmed, and can change with time are: Space, 7DMT, Test Track, Rat, RotR, Slinky, Kilimanjaro, and FoP (two from each park)
    • OR... this will be the list: Space, 7DMT, FEA, Rat, RotR, MMRR, FoP, Everest
  • Disney Resort Guests at WDW can purchase LL$ at 7am day-of.
  • Non-resort-guests have to wait until the park opens to buy their LL$.
  • You don't have to be in the park in which your LL$ is scheduled
    • this way, you can chose your LL$ at the resort, e.g., or at another park and then hop
  • You don't have to purchase Genie+$15 in order to buy your one or two LL$ (Lightning Lane $elect Experience). A person looking for rides on Genie (regular, not 'plus') will see a button to *purchase* a LL for select rides.
  • Disney isn't sure what to call this. I guess we'll see which wording Disney will stick with. We've seen:
    • Lightning Lane Select Experiences
    • Individual Attraction Selections
    • Individual Attractions

Virtual Queues
  • Will be found under Genie (regular, not 'plus')
  • RotR and Rat will have them.
  • RotR will no longer have the 1 PM half-day lottery once Genie is active
  • If you miss the VQ lottery:
    • These attractions could possibly wind up with standby lines on slow days, or,
    • you may be able to buy a LL$ for it under Genie (regular, not 'plus')

1629355664949.png

See also...

This might help:

For the new top tier rides (it seems to be 2 per park for now), like 7DMT, you have these options:
  • Standby
  • Purchase a LL$ (Individual Selection Lightning Lane) for some undetermined price for now

For the new top tier rides where are also a Boarding Group VQ (RotR, Rat) you have these options:
  • Join the lottery at 7 AM (free)
  • Purchase a LL$ (Individual Selection Lightning Lane) for some undetermined price for now

For almost all other rides (HM, BTMR, PPF, DINOSAUR, etc..), they have a Lightning Lane (previously called FastPass Queue), and your options are:
  • Standby
  • Purchase Genie+ for $15 per day per person, and you can schedule a LL one-at-a-time throughout the day

Last edited:

MrPromey

I'm sorry if this has been asked before - but will there be a limit on how many people purchase genie+? If too many people purchase then there is going to be very limited options for fastpasses throughout the day and therefore really won't be worth the extra $15 per person per day!

They haven't said anything about there being a limit.

One thing to keep in mind though is that since everyone can only do one at a time, at least for the first half of the day, options should be pretty wide for things in tier 2.

Where it might get tighter is as the day gets later and more and more people have run out of things they wanted in the earlier semi-current hours and have started taking times for everything in the afternoon/evening.

That was an issue with the original fastpass and something that we dealt with through FP+ as well, when people who had used their original three for a park were on the prowl for their 4th, 5th, etc. pass of the day.

Casper Gutman

Updated Bullet points:

No Genie

• Show up, get in standby lines
  • Can still use MDE

Genie

• The app that will plan your day 'for free' by guiding you to your preferred attractions (standby lines) throughout the day.
  • Coming "this Fall" (no, no one knows when exactly, please don't ask)

Genie+ [G+$]

• Purchasing
    • Costs $15 per day per guest per day at WDW; costs $20 at DL.
    • G+$ can be bought on a day-to-day basis. Even if you purchased, e.g., a 7-day ticket package -- you wouldn't need to purchase G+$ for all 7 days.
    • APs can purchase G+$ per day on each day they attend.
      • It is unknown at this time if Disney will have an option to pay one price to add G+$ to an AP for every visit (like a Park Hopper Pass can be added).
  • Benefit: Lightning Lanes [LL]
    • G+$ It gives you access to Lightning Lanes (LLs, previously, FP Queues), which are available one-at-a-time throughout the day.
      • In this way, you can schedule your LLs like Maxpass in DL or with the old paper passes.
    • Shows you the next available scheduling slot for a slew of rides (with the exception of select 'tier 1' rides) and you pick one, and show up at the time.
    • All guests can schedule their first LL at 7a at WDW. At DL, they can schedule their first LL once in the park.
    • You don't have to be in the park in which your next LL is scheduled (so, you can chose your LL at the resort, e.g., or at another park and then hop)
    • When can you grab your next LL? Book another LL when your return window opens for your current 'open' LL (or in 2 hours, whichever is sooner, which is the current DL practice of Maxpass)
  • Benefits, Miscellaneous:
    • at DL, Genie+$ gives you Photopass.
    • At WDW, G+$ doesn't give you photopass, but you get augmented reality lens and some audio tour tracks.

Individual Attractions Lightning Lanes $elect Experiences (LL$)

• Buy up to two Lightning Lane $elections (formerly, "fastpasses") for select rides, which are most likely the old Tier 1
    • The select rides are most likely to be, but not fully confirmed, and can change with time are: Space, Mine Train, Test Track, Rat, Rise, Slinky, Kilimanjaro, and FoP (two from each park)
  • Disney Resort Guests at WDW can purchase LL$ at 7am day-of.
  • Non-resort-guests have to wait until the park opens to buy their LL$.
  • You don't have to be in the park in which your LL$ is scheduled
    • this way, you can chose your LL$ at the resort, e.g., or at another park and then hop
  • You don't have to purchase Genie+$15 in order to buy your one or two LL$ (Lightning Lane $elect Experience). A person looking for rides on Genie (regular, not 'plus') will see a button to *purchase* a LL for select rides.
  • Disney isn't sure what to call this. I guess we'll see which wording Disney will stick with. We've seen:
    • Lightning Lane Select Experiences
    • Individual Attraction Selections
    • Individual Attractions

Virtual Queues

• Will be found under Genie (regular, not 'plus')
  • RotR and Rat will have them.
  • RotR will no longer have the 1 PM half-day lottery once Genie is active
  • If you miss the VQ lottery:
    • These attractions could possibly wind up with standby lines on slow days, or,
    • you may be able to buy a LL$ for it under Genie (regular, not 'plus')

View attachment 580790
Thank you for this.

My understanding from earlier in this thread is that guests not staying on property could purchase LL tickets for Rise (and possibly Rat) at 7. Is this not the case?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Thank you for this.

My understanding from earlier in this thread is that guests not staying on property could purchase LL tickets for Rise (and possibly Rat) at 7. Is this not the case?

At WDW for the rides with VQs (Rat and RotR)
  • The lottery is for everyone at 7 AM whether at a Disney Resort or not.
  • Purchasing the Individual Selection LL$ opens up for Disney Resort guests at 7 AM, regardless if it's a VQ ride or not.
    • Guests not staying at a Disney Resort can't purchase a LL$ until the park opens.

At WDW for the rides that are 'tier 2'
  • For the G+$LLs, the one-at-a-time 'tier 2' LLs, Disney Resort guests have no advantage. Everyone can select their first one of the day at 7 AM.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
At WDW for the rides with VQs (Rat and RotR)
  • The lottery is for everyone at 7 AM whether at a Disney Resort or not.
  • Purchasing the Individual SelectionLL$ opens up for Disney Resort guests at 7 AM, regardless if it's a VQ ride or not.
    • Guests not staying at a Disney Resort can't purchase a LL$ until the park opens.

At WDW for the rides that are 'tier 2'
  • For the G+$LLs, the one-at-a-time 'tier 2' LLs, Disney Resort guests have no advantage. Everyone can select their first one of the day at 7 AM.
I anticipate RotR to become a rip-you-off option as opposed to a VQ quite early on (and to hell with the consequences) plus MMRR.

Space Mountain will also take the rip-you-off option - until Tron opens. Then we’ll see which direction they move in. Move the money on top of money option to Tron, or make Tron the 3rd rip-you-off choice for the MK.

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

When you know the whole story about why Robin was hesitant to do the character in the first place, how Disney went against just about ALL of his relatively easy requirements, and why Robin ultimately walked away from doing the first sequal... yeah, he would have been ****ed to see his character used this way...
1 doubtful since he came back for the 3rd film and they heavily promoted his return

2. It's not his character. He didn't own the Genie. He played the Genie. Disney owns the character and all related images and can do with it whatever they please

brb1006

I’ll go one further: how about simple shows??

every country in Epcot had diversion performers…those pavilions are nearly all
Silent now…

those things add to the capacity crunch. People don’t always want to be in line for a festival
Booth

I seriously miss the days when World Showcase had not only performers. But the France and Italy Pavilions used to have Living Status that surprise guests.

Stuff like that is what made World Showcase feel more alive compared to now. And I miss them so dang much! :cry:

Last edited:

rk03221

Honesty just get rid of the whole fastpass thing and make it stand by lines. I used to work attractions, and while the paper fast passes were nice FP+ was a complete disaster. I know it’s a money grab but the lines would move so much quicker if it was just stand by

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

What is incorrect about it? Genie+ is the service you use to get access into the Lightning Lane. The pay per ride service is basically unbranded.
No its not "unbranded". It is just a Lightning Lane you pay indivdually for. Its still a Lightning Lane. Same as all tge others but you pay individually for it.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Honesty just get rid of the whole fastpass thing and make it stand by lines. I used to work attractions, and while the paper fast passes were nice FP+ was a complete disaster. I know it’s a money grab but the lines would move so much quicker if it was just stand by
If they would expand and build more NEW attractions that consume more people in the parks instead of just replacing existing attractions all lines would be shorter and quicker moving

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom