Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

Dranth

That is not correct from what I've heard.

Day off, there are no Groups. This means at 7 am, you can modify Group 2s to Group 1s if availability is present. The groups are for pre-planning only.
Interesting. Wonder if that is intended or not and if they will change it.

Do we know about overlapping times yet like we could with G+?

GigglesMcSnort

One difference I was thinking of between this and FP+ is where that was "free" we just got online and booked what we wanted each day and be done, with this we'll need to get on at 7am, purchase a day.. book that day...purchase the next day, book that day, etc. etc. so it'll take a little longer to do (and I would assume be more strain on the system because of some of that)

One thing I do like is the ability to book another as soon as one is used rather than use all 3 before you can book 1. It'll be interesting to see how well this works (or doesn't) compared to FP+ and where tiers no longer exist the day of.

The ability to select times I think is great personally... again we'll see how this works out. Lots of different options to plan your day now...but most seem like to like not having to deal with it at 7am the morning of and have no idea what your day might look like as you played the G+ lottery throughout the day zig-zagging throughout the parks

Yeah, I'm really relieved that this means I'm not going to need to try and buy + book fast Genie + passes at 7am on each day I'm in the park. I don't understand how anybody ever thought that was a great idea for people trying to have a relaxing vacation.

Although I cynically also think the reason they did it that way as an interim step was to limit the outrage at this just being a way to charge people for Fastpass+, which was free.

Last edited:

Fido Chuckwagon

About the use of VPN with international guests.

Each My Disney Experience account has some metadata on it that's basically stuck to it.

For example, my personal MDE account has some region and countryCodeDetected metadata with value "US". These are most likely assigned at time of account creation.
View attachment 794926

And fyi I am currently in Banff, Alberta, Canada for vacation, yet the app knows that my account is US-based. I created a new dummy account and the properties above were assigned "CA" which sorta confirms my theory.

You can also add an (optional) home address to your MDE account, but not sure if this overrides these metadata values in your account.

So going back, the new lightning lane reservation system may use a combination of your MDE account's region metatdata, current geo-location, etc. Thus VPN might not work as some hoped for..
Except Disney has said that the app will work once an international visitor is on US soil. So they’re not restricted because they are an international guest, they’re restricted because of their geolocation at the time they are using the app.

Supertech65

Day off, there are no Groups. This means at 7 am, you can modify Group 2s to Group 1s if availability is present. The groups are for pre-planning only.
Then what's the point of giving the 7 day jump for people staying on-site and a 3 day jump for people staying off the site if we can make modifications on the day of at 7 AM? I thought the whole point to this change was to allow people to preplan so they didn't have to do it the day of.

Basil of Baker Street

Though I only buy G+ for my MK days, this is an absolute downgrade being an evening stacker. It would be nice if they lower the price if your 1st selection was past a certain time, say 4pm. Getting to the parks at 5 pm-ish, I would not get any more than my 3 pre-selects I'm afraid.

GigglesMcSnort

Then what's the point of giving the 7 day jump for people staying on-site and a 3 day jump for people staying off the site if we can make modifications on the day of at 7 AM? I thought the whole point to this change was to allow people to preplan so they didn't have to do it the day of.
So that you haven't got do do anything at all at 7am on the day if you're still happy with your pre-planned selections?

Some of us don't want to have to mess around with trying to sort out ride reservations for the day when we'd much rather be having a relaxed start to our morning. That's the whole point of pre-planning things.

mattpeto

welcome back the 7am day of lottery scramble

They are introducing the pre-planning aspect if you want to avoid the scramble.

I think it's a positive step forward. It's creating way more flexibility for the guest.

And if you don't like the selections available, you don't have to buy pre-planning. Wake up to see what you can get at 7 am and book 3 if they look good. Then you're playing the game.

GigglesMcSnort

Yep. So now I wake up at 7am a week ahead of time so I can wake up at 7am on my vacation to change my Mad Tea Party and It's a Small World selections over to Space and Peter Pan.

Progress.
Or, just a thought, you could just book Space and Peter Pan in the first place so you don't have to do anything at all at 7am on the day? Why would you pre-book something that you're not intending to go on?

Supertech65

So that you haven't got do do anything at all at 7am on the day if you're still happy with your pre-planned selections?

Some of us don't want to have to mess around with trying to sort out ride reservations for the day when we'd much rather be having a relaxed start to our morning. That's the whole point of pre-planning things.
We're talking about the tiered fast passes with the pre-planning. When you preplan you'll only be able to grab one from tier 1 and 2 from tier 2. So rides like space mountain and thunder mnt you will not be able to pre-book together on the same day

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
They are introducing the pre-planning aspect if you want to avoid the scramble.

I think it's a positive step forward. It's creating way more flexibility for the guest.

And if you don't like the selections available, you don't have to buy pre-planning. Wake up to see what you can get at 7 am and book 3 if they look good. Then you're playing the game.
I'll be curious to see how many Tier 1's are left at 7am the day of or throughout the day. Some will rope drop tier 1's as well so booking them won't be necessary

We might be surprised since initially folks can only book 1 and this is a paid service vs "free" like FP+...but I just don't know.

ConfettiCupcake

Every iteration of FP/LL that has existed since inception has allowed motivated guests to learn tips and strategies to get more out of the system. I think that will always exist for those who are willing to learn and put in the effort. The switching of the tier 2s at 7 am will be just like that in my opinion, a smaller subset of users who are both in the know and motivated enough to maximize their attractions. The wider group of users will still IMO again not do this. It’s similar to how with Genie+ Disney sets expectations with an average 2-3 rides per guest, however most people on this board understand how to get far more than that, yet the average experience is likely closer to what Disney warns of.

Dranth

I'll be curious to see how many Tier 1's are left at 7am the day of or throughout the day. Some will rope drop tier 1's as well so booking them won't be necessary

We might be surprised since initially folks can only book 1 and this is a paid service vs "free" like FP+...but I just don't know.
I would expect the people who rope drop will be up around 7am anyway so they might as well alter their two T2 rides to 2 T1 rides. If they schedule them all for mid morning they could get in as soon as park open, ride a bunch of stuff with short lines and then hit the 3 T1 reservations in a row. As soon as they scan into the first one, grab whatever T1 is left and so on until they are all gone.

ETA: This is just the same problems as FP+. Anyone who gets in early has a massive advantage. No riding twice helps but instead of picking up Space a second time just grab a FEA at EPCOT and eat up T1 inventory at a second park. They basically kept the worst part of G+ but gave us the capacity issues and tiering of FP+.

Last edited:

Marionnette

There are no Groups/Tiers day of. They just have it for pre-planning.

Starting at 7am though?

That's what I was told.

It strikes me that MultiPass is some sort of hybrid between FP+ and G+ with certain aspects of each were retained because it was just easier to program it that way in order to be able to roll it out quickly. My guess is that this loophole will get closed rather quickly and the end result will be more like FP+ (use all 3 before you can book another T1).

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I would expect the people who rope drop will be up around 7am anyway so they might as well alter their two T2 rides to 2 T1 rides. If they schedule them all for mid morning they could get in as soon as park open, ride a bunch of stuff with short lines and then hit the 3 T1 reservations in a row. As soon as they scan into the first one, grab whatever T1 is left and so on until they are all gone.

ETA: This is just the same problems as FP+. Anyone who gets in early has a massive advantage. No riding twice helps but instead of picking up Space a second time just grab a FEA at EPCOT and eat up T1 inventory at a second park. They basically kept the worst part of G+ but gave us the capacity issues and tiering of FP+.
there is always going to be a problem with a "fastpass" system until they add more attractions

now they just make money off of this because many feel like they have to get it since there aren't enough attractions to spread out the crowds and shorten the lines.

Disney created their own system to both make money and discourage them from building too much

ConfettiCupcake

It strikes me that MultiPass is some sort of hybrid between FP+ and G+ with certain aspects of each were retained because it was just easier to program it that way in order to be able to roll it out quickly. My guess is that this loophole will get closed rather quickly and the end result will be more like FP+ (use all 3 before you can book another T1).

This quote is straight from Disney Parks Blog:

“Lightning Lane passes will blend features from our current services and the previously offered FastPass+ service, giving guests the choice to plan ahead and removing the hassle of planning during their vacation.”

We of course can’t know exactly what aspects they’re referring to there, but the similarities with each sound like they’re intentional and a feature, not a practicality done to get it out fast.

Saskdw

So I was in such an uproar over this International traveler fiasco yesterday I didn't really put any thought into how this new feature would work for our family.

So if I'm understanding correctly at the 7 day in advance mark I could do this for the first day:

Paid LL for Rise
Pick 3 other LL - SDD, TSM, and ToT

Could I also pay for my 2nd LL GotG at Epcot?

So 5 pre-booked rides?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom