Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

Saskdw

I think most people are thinking ‘i got 3 LL reservations!’ And that’s winning in their mind. They aren’t looking past getting a reservation and ignoring what the rest of their experience will change to.

It’s literally chasing the shiny object Disney is dangling in front of you.

I can’t wait for about a month after this goes live and the grievances start.
What grievances?
We had none with FP+ and this seems better, other than it's an additional charge.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think, psychologically, many will prefer paying for LL before leaving home in one lump sum instead of being reminded every morning or your vacation that you’re spending a lot. That’s why people love all-inclusives, cruises, dining plans, etc.

Length of stay discounts incoming…

Splash4eva

I think most people are thinking ‘i got 3 LL reservations!’ And that’s winning in their mind. They aren’t looking past getting a reservation and ignoring what the rest of their experience will change to.

It’s literally chasing the shiny object Disney is dangling in front of you.

I can’t wait for about a month after this goes live and the grievances start.
I just dont know how anyone can think getting 3 skip the lines is winning under whatever name they wanna call it

ConfettiCupcake

Length of stay discounts incoming…

There’s such a drastic per day difference in the longer multi day tickets than the shorter ones, this feels like the logical next step. Especially if those longer ticket guests appear to be buying the multi pass for ‘too few’ of their days according to what Disney thinks they should be.

Jrb1979

I just dont know how anyone can think getting 3 skip the lines is winning under whatever name they wanna call it
Many do. You have to remember outside the hardcores here, your average guest only booked their 3 each day and that's it.

In the end all they are doing is moving the deck chairs on the Titanic. When this fails, like it did before, they will bring out something else.

DisneyDreamer08

Has it been said if you are staying off property, when you begin making your selections 3 days prior, can you make them for multiple days? Or one day at a time?

flynnibus

Premium Member
When everyone is special- no one is special

Let’s crank the to the extreme to just make it more obvious. Imagine if disney allowed you to reserve getting in the standby line… would anyone care? No… it’s something that doesn’t help you and everyone can do anyway.

Now crank it back a bit… what if the LL reservations flow like water… but end up being long waits. Are they still great to get? Disney can say they are still better than standby… because they will have basically killed standby with capacity ratios to make that LL capacity so high.

Yea! I got a LL… but it was a long wait… and I can’t do any rerides because standby is unbearable now. Now you’re basically at the point people complain about VQ… yes you ride with a booking… but the wait is still there and i effectively lose my standby freedom of choice.

Now imagine the majority of the park operating like that.

Maybe that’s the easiest way to visualize it… imagine if the majority of rides were VQ but without the lottery aspect and you could hold more than one. That’s what this experience is gonna devolve to.

A park where you prebook every ride… and are miserable if you try to go around the reservations.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But are they really?!? All they just did here was bring back FP+ and charge for it. Which is what they basically should have done from the get go if they wanted to monetize it which they obviously should. So how is this going to be any more effective? Listen maybe my experience w FP+ and Genie+ were not the norm but there have been plenty here and others i know who had similar success. End of day the lack of capacity is and always will
Be the reason any system does not work

I think they’re hoping the fees smooth out some of logjam they had with “free” fastpass+

They have no idea. The ability of management to mishandle parks is becoming comical

Dranth

I think the reality is the "park commando's" who post on these boards don't represent the majority of potential WDW guests and aren't the high profit guests for Disney.

We went to WDW for 2 weeks every December from 2008 to 2016. We loved FP+ and haven't even considered a WDW vacation since G+ came to be. These changes have us considering a return for Dec. 2025.

We have no interest in being park commandos.
Except that G+ was actually better than both FP+ and likely this new system for most people. Folks just didn't like the 7am part or bought into the online griping without actually trying it.

Functionality wise and in terms of ride access G+ ran circles around FP+ for your standard guest.

Last edited:

Fido Chuckwagon

They MUST and WILL fix this! THEY NEED INTERNATIONAL GUESTS!!!!
They don’t *have* to do everything. I’d bet that most international guests aren’t exactly LL power users. Even back in the free fastpass days a lot of international guests had no idea that fastpass was even a thing and they just waited in standby lines. They are probably betting that their average first time international visitor won’t even notice this.

Saskdw

What they are hoping is this will fill their resorts and it creates a better experience for the guests staying at their resorts.

If you choose to stay elsewhere and your experience isn't as good that's too bad? It's really the way it should be isn't it?

It also gives them more options for " deals and discounts" which will be greatly needed when Epic Universe opens. They will need free dining, free LL and 40% discounts to draw people there when there is a superior park up the street.

nickys

Premium Member
See here:

When can international guests purchase Lightning Lanes?

They can purchase Lightning Lane passes and make selections upon arrival into the United States.

As for the why of this, it’s probably not because Walt Disney World hates international guests. Although it might seem that way on this one particular issue, Walt Disney World actually loves guests from outside the United States. They’re more of a captive audience, have higher per guest spending metrics, and typically do longer stays. This is why we routinely refer to British guests as Walt Disney World’s “whales” (non-derogatory).

Walt Disney World has not offered an official explanation (and probably never will), but our best guess is that it’s a matter of law. I don’t know what law, but there are a lot of laws in the EU and elsewhere with which US companies do not want to comply, so the “solution” is simply not offering access in those markets.

That’s probably an unsatisfying explanation, but it’s likely the reason why. This means there probably won’t be resolution to this problem in the weeks and months to come, as it’s deliberate rather than accidental. With that said, this also means that Walt Disney World probably doesn’t care if you use VPNs and other techniques to side step this “rule.” (Not that we’re endorsing rule-breaking…but we aren’t not endorsing it here, either.)

Sorry, I’m not accepting Disney Tourist Blog as a legit source for this.

Others, including this site have said otherwise.

That said it is possible it’s true. The “enchanted extras” like tours etc need either a vpn or to be booked by phone.

It would be awful if it is true.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom