Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

John park hopper

Question ---Are there more diagnosed kids (real or otherwise) because schools

Under the Constitution, the state is responsible for public education. Annual funding levels vary dramatically across the country, with an average range from $4,000 to $10,000 for students without disabilities and $10,000 to $20,000 for students with disabilities.

Tha Realest

Question ---Are there more diagnosed kids (real or otherwise) because schools

Under the Constitution, the state is responsible for public education. Annual funding levels vary dramatically across the country, with an average range from $4,000 to $10,000 for students without disabilities and $10,000 to $20,000 for students with disabilities.
From the friends of ours that have legitimate ADA type needs (Down syndrome, extensive ADHD/Autism spectrum) to be accommodated through an IEP I have never gotten the sense the school “wants” to do this or otherwise is incentivized to service them. To the contrary, it’s often a very combative process. That is different, of course, from a school - maybe, for instance, a private school that lauds its placement at Ivies or the like - to permit extra time to take tests

John park hopper

From the friends of ours that have legitimate ADA type needs (Down syndrome, extensive ADHD/Autism spectrum) to be accommodated through an IEP I have never gotten the sense the school “wants” to do this or otherwise is incentivized to service them. To the contrary, it’s often a very combative process. That is different, of course, from a school - maybe, for instance, a private school that lauds its placement at Ivies or the like - to permit extra time to take tests
Another question is there an increase in diagnosed (real or otherwise) people gaming the system

Children with qualifying disabilities whose families meet SSI's low income and asset requirements are eligible to receive monthly cash payments intended to help families meet their child's needs. The resources and income of the minor's parents are “deemed” to the child.

SamusAranX

Another question is there an increase in diagnosed (real or otherwise) people gaming the system

Children with qualifying disabilities whose families meet SSI's low income and asset requirements are eligible to receive monthly cash payments intended to help families meet their child's needs. The resources and income of the minor's parents are “deemed” to the child.
I guess my view of humanity isn’t as dim, but whether it’s DAS, SSI, or any other system, sure, there’s the gamers; but I feel most are legit on some level. I do also believe that many mental health struggles today are higher because 1. They used to go undiagnosed or dismissed with terms like “the blues”, “they’re just rambunctious”, etc and 2. Because of changes in society, there is a genuine increase in mental and behavioral struggles

Drdcm

This. It is a pain to get real accommodations from schools for anything beyond extra test time or quiet testing environment. If it costs something, they’re going to put up a fight. I’ve had to testify in lawsuits countless times in my recommendations for force schools to comply.

Drdcm

I guess my view of humanity isn’t as dim, but whether it’s DAS, SSI, or any other system, sure, there’s the gamers; but I feel most are legit on some level. I do also believe that many mental health struggles today are higher because 1. They used to go undiagnosed or dismissed with terms like “the blues”, “they’re just rambunctious”, etc and 2. Because of changes in society, there is a genuine increase in mental and behavioral struggles
My observations are that our capacity as a society to take in and consider other alternative viewpoints and experiences has be massively hindered to the point where we respond emotionally and reactively to anything that makes us uncomfortable. This is then reinforced in a binary way (all good or all bad) by social media and the media itself to justify our viewpoints and self-righteousness. This forum is actually a great example… you’ll find very few middle of the road people.

What to do about it? Therapy. Preferably DBT.

The people who seem to avoid social media seem to be better adjusted, and I say this as someone in their mid 30s.

Not to pin it all on social media, but the nature of social media is inherently to be self-promoting, so sets up this weird competitiveness and need for validation that didn’t really exist previously.

Drdcm

I haven’t noticed this. I think resiliency has taken a hit though, which is why more people are impaired to the extent they would need direct assistance compared to in the past.

SamusAranX

My observations are that our capacity as a society to take in and consider other alternative viewpoints and experiences has be massively hindered to the point where we respond emotionally and reactively to anything that makes us uncomfortable. This is then reinforced in a binary way (all good or all bad) by social media and the media itself to justify our viewpoints and self-righteousness. This forum is actually a great example… you’ll find very few middle of the road people.

What to do about it? Therapy. Preferably DBT.

The people who seem to avoid social media seem to be better adjusted, and I say this as someone in their mid 30s.

Not to pin it all on social media, but the nature of social media is inherently to be self-promoting, so sets up this weird competitiveness and need for validation that didn’t really exist previously.
I use social media but I fully recognize it’s not the best for my mental health at times.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I haven’t noticed this. I think resiliency has taken a hit though, which is why more people are impaired to the extent they would need direct assistance compared to in the past.

Or maybe just we know more now than we used to and are able to help people with different challenges to be successful, where in the past we incorrectly chalked it up to character flaws.

Jrb1979

Or maybe just we know more now than we used to and are able to help people with different challenges to be successful, where in the past we incorrectly chalked it up to character flaws.
I think it's part of it. I will also say a lot of parents are too easy on their kids. I find that a lot of kids struggle when they get to the real world now compared to when I was a kid. I understand some of that has to do with knowing more now than we did before. I do think a lot is parents more so now than before are trying to be their kids best friend and will everything to get them through school as easy as possible. The problem I have with that is once they get to college and the real world they struggle with it.

seabreezept813

80% getting an accommodation seems unreasonable, and suggests there’s no attempt to make a showing justifying these accommodations or deny these requests. I have to seriously question the academic integrity of such an institution.
There are different levels. An IEP is government mandated and a student passes strict testing to qualify. Then there are 504s, these are different plans that offer accommodations and it could simply be the kid gets migraines so now can be on a 504. Then there are plans for accommodations for nonnative speakers, etc. The questioning the integrity seems out of touch with how education and our society are right now. Why are more people seeking accomodations? Probably because our society has changed so that we’re more aware that traditional education doesn’t work for everyone. Also I think I think the constant tech use is affecting people’s ability to maintain stamina.

DCBaker

Premium Member
The price for Genie+ at Magic Kingdom/Multiple Parks is back up to $35 today (the last time it was $35 was February 19, 2024).

IMG_3069.jpeg

Find Individual Lightning Lane and previous Genie+ prices at the link below.

Disstevefan1

We're raising the price for G+ because all the locals are off and will come and visit.

We don't want locals because they don't spend as much.

We were too aggressive with raising prices.

We are raising the prices of everything in the coming year.

Confused Black And White GIF by Muppet Wiki
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

And they can coexist and all be true. Iger hates locals (he prefers families from Denver) and will do anything to stop the locals. Iger “says” the parks are too aggressive with raising prices but that does not mean he is going to stop doing it.

Weather_Lady

And they can coexist and all be true. Iger hates locals (he prefers families from Denver) and will do anything to stop the locals. Iger “says” the parks are too aggressive with raising prices but that does not mean he is going to stop doing it.
As an out-of-stater I don't know much about this topic, so I ask purely out of curiosity: if Disney wants to discourage locals and incentivize guests who are coming further distances (and thus staying longer, and on-site, and spending more), which does make some logical sense, then why do they offer discounted ticket and hotel rates to Florida residents? Is that something the state requires Disney to do, or is it just a relic of a former, more local-friendly policy?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
As an out-of-stater I don't know much about this topic, so I ask purely out of curiosity: if Disney wants to discourage locals and incentivize guests who are coming further distances (and thus staying longer, and on-site, and spending more), which does make some logical sense, then why do they offer discounted ticket and hotel rates to Florida residents? Is that something the state requires Disney to do, or is it just a relic of a former, more local-friendly policy?
The simple answer - They need bodies through the gates and in the rooms. TDO hates locals when times are good but goes back to them begging when things get rocky. Every. Single. Time.

Pay no attention to the park musings of the poster you quoted. While he waffled for a week or two, he truly believes they are invincible.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

So they can talk out of both sides of their mouth at once and you think it's all true? On a side note - I have some valuable land in southern Florida I'm willing to sell. You seem like the perfect buyer so I'll give you a great price on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom