Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

Andrew25

The visuals are easy to post. What's very likely is that there was either downtime on the road, or the Genie+ wait was less than 10 minutes despite the bad visuals.

Visually, I'd have to imagine it looked like roughly somewhere around 200+ guests... or nearly 1/3 of the attraction's hourly capacity. So I'd had to imagine that while Genie+ only took 20 minutes, they probably stopped standby to a halt to get the line back into its proper queue. Add in that there always seems to be a fresh wave of Lightning Lane users, wouldn't surprise me that standby was impacted by 30-40 minutes.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
There's no way that Disney is intentionally cutting attraction capacity in half on busy days, or any days
But does not opening up the second load area on each side of Space Mountain, or the third load area on Splash Mountain, or adding extra boats to JC make a difference?

Also does closing the park at 10 or 11PM during busy times not affect capacity? I remember the MK frequently being open till 1AM. Why can't Epcot and DHS be open past 9PM?

Of course the reason is, so they can sell the park twice with hard ticket events.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Genie+ at Magic Kingdom and the Multiple Parks option have sold out for today (was priced at $29).

IMG_5766A0063812-1.jpeg

lentesta

Premium Member
Genie + is such a scam-- Disney runs attractions at half capacity, reduced staff thus artificially increasing wait times forcing people to buy Genie while driving up the price. Disney's greed knows no bounds.

I get where you're coming from. Just to be clear - I don't think Disney runs its rides at "half" capacity (or anything close to it) for Genie+. As far as I can tell, most rides are operating pretty close to 100% of their operating capacity, most of the time.

The few exceptions I can think of:
  • I don't know what the theoretical hourly capacity is for Cosmic Rewind. The actual numbers I've seen top out at around 1,600/hour.
  • Likewise, I don't think Cosmic Rewind operates at 1,600/hour every hour of every day, even though it could (and maybe should)
  • There's a discrepancy at Jungle Cruise between what Disney has said the THRC is (~2,000/hour) and what we see (~900/hour)
  • I wouldn't be surprised if ride downtime is 10% of daily capacity across all rides in all parks. That definitely increases standby waits.

Chip Chipperson

I get where you're coming from. Just to be clear - I don't think Disney runs its rides at "half" capacity (or anything close to it) for Genie+. As far as I can tell, most rides are operating pretty close to 100% of their operating capacity, most of the time.

• I don't know what the theoretical hourly capacity is for Cosmic Rewind. The actual numbers I've seen top out at around 1,600/hour.
  • Likewise, I don't think Cosmic Rewind operates at 1,600/hour every hour of every day, even though it could (and maybe should)
  • There's a discrepancy at Jungle Cruise between what Disney has said the THRC is (~2,000/hour) and what we see (~900/hour)
  • I wouldn't be surprised if ride downtime is 10% of daily capacity across all rides in all parks. That definitely increases standby waits.
I have to think that Cosmic Rewind I hurt in the early morning by its VQ. People don't know when their BG will be called when they book, so people in the first wave of BGs may arrive later and create unused capacity during the first hour or so.

brettf22

Premium Member
Genie+ is not the only cause of the issues. A finite number of LL is issued for each hour and is possibly the same as the old fastpass+ number. Inceased use of DAS, legitimate or otherwise is just as responsible for the standby issues as @lentesta has said

I would posit that increased DAS use is also a direct result of G+. Charging for what used to be free encourages people to find alternatives, both legitimate and illegitimate.

Andrew25

Yeah, Cosmic Rewind "ideally" can dispatch every 35-40 secs which is an impressive 1.8K to 2.0K guess an hour, you then have to reduce downtime, people taking a bit longer to load, backups at unload, unforeseen cleanups, etc.

Or the original estimate was flawed.
Yeah, that estimate of 2K an hour means boats should dispatch roughly every 60 secs... which is not happening. It's usually every 2 minutes or so.

Purduevian

Plenty of posters have cited examples

Len has proven to be a very reliable source of information/Disney statistics and he disagrees with you. Either accept that most users here don't agree with you and drop it (which is ok, not everyone has to agree) or provide something other than anecdotal evidence to support your claim.

When getting into a discussion, you need to ask the other person, what would it take you to believe my side?

At least for me, I will believe Len over you unless you can provide video/picture proof, or an article (from a reliable source) to show that Disney runs popular rides at half capacity on purpose during busy times.

TheIceBaron

I don’t think they run their attractions at half capacity intentionally. I remember vommiting all over my seat at the incredicoaster at DCA and I think they closed the row I was in for a bit but justifiably so.

MagicHappens1971

I came back on here to comment as well, I don't think Disney is intentionally / or at all, operating their attractions at anything less than full capacity. It doesn't make any sense to.... and before you hit me with the "to sell" Genie+, they're doing that anyway. I do think wait times are inflated but thats a whole other can of worms.

RSoxNo1

You and I have exchanged some thoughts on Jungle Cruise. Do you have any more insight as to what may be going on here? Are you also still of the impression that Genie+ distribution is fixed (and equal) at every attraction at just under 300 per hour with the remaining guests in that queue comprised of DAS and make goods?

co10064

Premium Member
I don't think Disney runs its rides at "half" capacity (or anything close to it) for Genie+. As far as I can tell, most rides are operating pretty close to 100% of their operating capacity, most of the time.

I don’t think they run their attractions at half capacity intentionally.

I came back on here to comment as well, I don't think Disney is intentionally / or at all, operating their attractions at anything less than full capacity.
I also don't think Disney is intentionally limiting capacity throughout the day... but they certainly do it for several attractions at park open and park close.

I have also witnessed them run half capacity/reduced loading at Cosmic Rewind, Remy, and Soarin' during EPCOT After Hours. At first I thought it may have been a fluke due to an issue with an attraction, but all three in one night can't be a fluke.

IMO, if there is ANY wait time for a ride, there shouldn't be a reduction in capacity, period. But I guess they want to save as much labor as possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom