Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Quite amazing that they have managed to move this from $15 to $39. Will be interesting to see how many times it sells out at this price point. Any predictions?
People are paying upwards of $1000+ a night to stay at a deluxe resort. So who do you think is buying this?

donsullivan

Premium Member
What’s happening however since Covid is these guests old or new aren’t going to be visiting the parks as often as return guests once did because of the prices and headaches Disney has made to the planning and park experience as a whole.

That combined with little to nothing in the works opening over the next several years isn’t going to help.
There is always some new and current reason for it but the pattern continues the same. It was either ‘It’s too complicated to plan everything in advance” or it has always been “It’s too expensive”. Some actually do move on and spend their money elsewhere, others keep going and just relentlessly complain about it. But the long term reality of it for half a century so far, more and more guests keep coming to experience what Disney has to offer.

The era of social media triggers a level of micro-analysis that is sometimes not all that healthy. We’re now in a wave where all the Disney YouTubers are finding to keep the traffic (and their paycheck) going they need to relentless find a negative spin on everything at WDW. I will continue to feel that if anything brings that much negative feeling into your life, it might be time to find a new interest to put your energy into. There is enough negativy in our society we can’t control, why not take control of the scenarios you can.

mattpeto

I think it’ll sell out at $39 at MK over the holiday season because many will feel like they have to get it in order to be able to do certain things with the holiday crowds. Did any or all the parks sellout yesterday?

I predict it’ll go up to $50 by the end of next year if they see they can at times

The sad part is they may think building new attractions to help spread out crowds would then reduce people buying G+ and negatively impact them more than help.

It's really hard to forecast next year because the system is likely to be revamped.

Sure it's profit centered, but currently they are playing with levers based on demand and expected value.

For it's flaws (6:50 AM wakeup call, price, etc.) - it's way more valuable in terms of line skipping than FP+. To get 4+ valued Genie+ LL is pretty simple and for other guest who want to maximize value, they can get a dozen at MK.

Just wait till you have to tap into Muppets and BatB to get another LL. I'm hoping they re-think their current plans.

mightynine

Quite amazing that they have managed to move this from $15 to $39. Will be interesting to see how many times it sells out at this price point. Any predictions?
Is it a quick money grab or people are rejecting it and they're trying to squeeze those who choose to buy it?

Happy Holidays!

TheMaxRebo

The problem is it’s an absolute necessity this week. It will sell out. Long term people are going to get fed up and they’re going to hemorrhage customers but the ones who are already here have paid $10k to be here so they’re not going to cheap out once here. It’s a terrible long-term strategy for Disney but it will definitely goose those short term profits.

If I was there and especially if I only had one MK day I would buy it - like you said if you've spent $10k already, what another $200 to ensure you aren't waiting in constant hour long lines?

Also a reason I won't travel there this week 😂

What’s happening however since Covid is these guests old or new aren’t going to be visiting the parks as often as return guests once did because of the prices and headaches Disney has made to the planning and park experience as a whole.

That combined with little to nothing in the works opening over the next several years isn’t going to help.
I think you're right. I don't think we've yet seen the equilibrium that will result from the increased prices and increased complexity of a visit. Maybe the equilibrium will look like 2019, but it's entirely possible that attendance will ratchet down permanently. Another point not often brought up--or maybe it is, since I'm only an occasional reader of the forums--is that falling birth rates in the U.S. have to have a long-term negative effect on theme park attendance.

There is always some new and current reason for it but the pattern continues the same. It was either ‘It’s too complicated to plan everything in advance” or it has always been “It’s too expensive”. Some actually do move on and spend their money elsewhere, others keep going and just relentlessly complain about it. But the long term reality of it for half a century so far, more and more guests keep coming to experience what Disney has to offer.

The era of social media triggers a level of micro-analysis that is sometimes not all that healthy. We’re now in a wave where all the Disney YouTubers are finding to keep the traffic (and their paycheck) going they need to relentless find a negative spin on everything at WDW. I will continue to feel that if anything brings that much negative feeling into your life, it might be time to find a new interest to put your energy into. There is enough negativy in our society we can’t control, why not take control of the scenarios you can.
Good points but Disney is more expensive and visits require more complex planning than ever before. Maybe most people will shrug it off and keep going--our family will!--but it's not yet clear what the long-run result will be.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I think you're right. I don't think we've yet seen the equilibrium that will result from the increased prices and increased complexity of a visit. Maybe the equilibrium will look like 2019, but it's entirely possible that attendance will ratchet down permanently. Another point not often brought up--or maybe it is, since I'm only an occasional reader of the forums--is that falling birth rates in the U.S. have to have a long-term negative effect on theme park attendance.
Plus I don’t think Disney movies and shows quite are as popular / appealing to kids as they once were.

wendysue

I agree completely with this. Our AP's expire next week but we have already moved on.

Disstevefan1

Up until recently, my thinking was that there were always more than enough folks to replace the folks who moved on, but I think we may be approaching a turning point for WDW.

Let’s see if Universal Orlando + Islands of adventure + EPIC Universe can put a significant dent in WDW’s business. My heart says no, but my mind thinks maybe.

Time will tell and it will be interesting to watch.

One thing is for sure, WDW’s playbook is to continue to raise prices on everything to compensate for less visitors.

Chef Mickey

I was a Disney apologist and I'm still always pro business, but the news of "record high Genie+" pricing just confirms the decision to not renew was correct. It's so sad. I don't even want to go back right now.

What does a ticket even get you anymore? Walking around the parks?

The food costs too much, the quality is bad, the show is bad, the crowds, the shortened hours, reduced staff, political fighting, frustrating transportation, and outrageous pricing at hotels make the day feel toxic.

I'd say Genie+ is actually one of the primary reasons the parks are so lame these days.

This company has such short-sighted, awful management. How long can you rip people off with lower quality product and higher prices? Sure, you'll get away with it for the Holidays, bc people are suckers, but I'm betting the day in day out starts getting harder to screw people.

Anyone who had been to Disney prior to 2019 knows the product is objectively worse. People who remember 2010 know it's dropped off a cliff. And people who remember the 80s and 90s can probably not stand it today.

Combine that with the flop after flop in politically charged, idiotic content, I don't see Disney having a future that looks anything like the past. They entire board, management need to go and the company might even need to be sold or at least a huge activist investor to fix it.

Fido Chuckwagon

Mess of capacity for sure, but paid ride skip is hardly a new thing for Disney or theme parks overall.
Are there other parks in the world where people go and spend a week? It’s one thing to do the 1 day line skip for your 1 day trip to a theme park (that often doesn’t get terrible lines and where the kiddie rides are 5 minute waits). It’s another thing at a park where you are spending 10 days, and the spinner rides are all 30 minute waits.

SamusAranX

I was a Disney apologist and I'm still always pro business, but the news of "record high Genie+" pricing just confirms the decision to not renew was correct. It's so sad. I don't even want to go back right now.

What does a ticket even get you anymore? Walking around the parks?

The food costs too much, the quality is bad, the show is bad, the crowds, the shortened hours, reduced staff, political fighting, frustrating transportation, and outrageous pricing at hotels make the day feel toxic.

I'd say Genie+ is actually one of the primary reasons the parks are so lame these days.

This company has such short-sighted, awful management. How long can you rip people off with lower quality product and higher prices? Sure, you'll get away with it for the Holidays, bc people are suckers, but I'm betting the day in day out starts getting harder to screw people.

Anyone who had been to Disney prior to 2019 knows the product is objectively worse. People who remember 2010 know it's dropped off a cliff. And people who remember the 80s and 90s can probably not stand it today.

Combine that with the flop after flop in politically charged, idiotic content, I don't see Disney having a future that looks anything like the past. They entire board, management need to go and the company might even need to be sold or at least a huge activist investor to fix it.
Pretty much. I’m so torn on renewing my pass or not

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom