News Liberty Square Riverboat closing for long refurb

Driver

The Monorail at Disneyland was once an E-ticket attraction, because it is an attraction within the park. Park admission is required and its listed on the park maps as an attraction (similar to the Railroad or Friendship Boats). A couple years after opening it was expanded to include a station at the Disneyland Hotel, but it has always required park admission (and an additional attraction ticket in its early days) to ride. Yes, it has multiple stations, but it's a real stretch to claim that it's really a "transportation" option; it's almost always faster to walk than to ride.

The monorail in Walt Disney World has always been part of the transportation system entirely separate from park attractions. In the early days it required a Transportation ticket to ride, which was distinct from park admission or the attraction tickets that were used within MK. If WDW's system is being counted, then you should also include the various buses, boats, and parking lot trams (and future Skyliner), but that's all a real stretch.
Just to be clear boats, busses, monorail, Minnie Vans and the new Skyliner are part of "transportation " @ WDW parking lot trams are NOT part of "transportation " @ WDW they are " Parking" .....separate departments

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just to be clear boats, busses, monorail, Minnie Vans and the new Skyliner are part of "transportation " @ WDW parking lot trams are NOT part of "transportation " @ WDW they are " Parking" .....separate departments

The old Transportation Tickets listed the motor trams as part of transportation at one time.

1541441614079.png

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
The old Transportation Tickets listed the motor trams as part of transportation at one time.

View attachment 324526
I believe when the MK opened, the capacity of the monorails and steamboats wasn't sufficient so trams were enlisted to make the drive from the TTC to the MK.....so technically, there were parking lot trams AND "motor trams", even though they were the same mode of transportation. After a ride in the parking lot tram, you bought your entrance media and then chose between monorail, water transport, or motor tram to the MK.

wishiwere@wdw

I take it this chance sighting never came?
I’m honestly not sure lol Unfortunately, work took me in a different direction the past two days or I would have been there myself to verify. That being said, I’d be shocked that there wasn’t a single picture posted yesterday if she did indeed make the trip. Weather was the main factor being taken into consideration so perhaps postponed due to the overnight rain? Either way, look for a return very soon.

peter11435

I’m honestly not sure lol Unfortunately, work took me in a different direction the past two days or I would have been there myself to verify. That being said, I’d be shocked that there wasn’t a single picture posted yesterday if she did indeed make the trip. Weather was the main factor being taken into consideration so perhaps postponed due to the overnight rain? Either way, look for a return very soon.
You missed the chance. She already made the return.

Rodan75

View attachment 324526

When we were kids, my Grandfather used to take the 4 kids to WDW, buy each of us a transportation ticket and we would ride all Transportation options, get a mickey ice cream and wander the parks, but not go on any ticketed rides. As a kid, it never felt like we were missing anything. It wasn't until I was much older that I realized that we didn't actually ride any rides at WDW.

geekza

When we were kids, my Grandfather used to take the 4 kids to WDW, buy each of us a transportation ticket and we would ride all Transportation options, get a mickey ice cream and wander the parks, but not go on any ticketed rides. As a kid, it never felt like we were missing anything. It wasn't until I was much older that I realized that we didn't actually ride any rides at WDW.
That's a crafty grandfather!

In all seriousness, the place is so lovely, I could absolutely see kids able to have a good time there without riding any of the rides, especially in decades past.

Phil12

The Monorail at Disneyland was once an E-ticket attraction, because it is an attraction within the park. Park admission is required and its listed on the park maps as an attraction (similar to the Railroad or Friendship Boats). A couple years after opening it was expanded to include a station at the Disneyland Hotel, but it has always required park admission (and an additional attraction ticket in its early days) to ride. Yes, it has multiple stations, but it's a real stretch to claim that it's really a "transportation" option; it's almost always faster to walk than to ride.

The monorail in Walt Disney World has always been part of the transportation system entirely separate from park attractions. In the early days it required a Transportation ticket to ride, which was distinct from park admission or the attraction tickets that were used within MK. If WDW's system is being counted, then you should also include the various buses, boats, and parking lot trams (and future Skyliner), but that's all a real stretch.
The monorail at Disneyland was personally owned by Walt Disney as were the other rail based attractions.. The employees that ran the monorail did not work for Disneyland, they worked for Walt's private company (WED Enterprises). There was a separate ticket booth for monorail and train tickets which was operated by and for WED.

One year before Walt's death, he was forced to sell WED Enterprises to the studio (Walt Disney Productions) to avoid a major shareholder lawsuit that would have financially ruined him and Walt Disney Productions. In that deal, Walt was able to retain the rail based attractions under his new private company called RETLAW. When Walt died in 1966 RETLAW passed to his wife and children. RETLAW also owned all of the rail based attractions at WDW as well. It wasn't until 1982 that the Disney family sold all the rail based attractions back to Walt Disney Productions.

On the back of the old monorail tickets at WDW it clearly states that the system was owned by RETLAW.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The monorail at Disneyland was personally owned by Walt Disney as were the other rail based attractions.. The employees that ran the monorail did not work for Disneyland, they worked for Walt's private company (WED Enterprises). There was a separate ticket booth for monorail and train tickets which was operated by and for WED.

One year before Walt's death, he was forced to sell WED Enterprises to the studio (Walt Disney Productions) to avoid a major shareholder lawsuit that would have financially ruined him and Walt Disney Productions. In that deal, Walt was able to retain the rail based attractions under his new private company called RETLAW. When Walt died in 1966 RETLAW passed to his wife and children. RETLAW also owned all of the rail based attractions at WDW as well. It wasn't until 1982 that the Disney family sold all the rail based attractions back to Walt Disney Productions.

On the back of the old monorail tickets at WDW it clearly states that the system was owned by RETLAW.
That's what he gets for taking the company public.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom