News Liberty Square Riverboat closing for long refurb

DisAl

In other words it really doesn't matter one way or the other. I think it would have been more realistic if they had placed some when it was first built, but, if they didn't then it is a moot point. I have to ask where all that dirt is coming from. Is it just run off? Curiosity though, why would cleaning it be beneficial in this application? Overall, less earth in the riverbed?
Where did the dirt come from?
Simple. RoA has a concrete bottom but its banks are mostly "natural" land. In other words, dirt.
Rain plus dirt equals dirt going wherever the rain runoff carries it. In this case, into RoA.
And yes, they do put dye in the water to keep it brown enough that you can't see the track for the Liberty Belle.

Goofyernmost

Where did the dirt come from?
Simple. RoA has a concrete bottom but its banks are mostly "natural" land. In other words, dirt.
Rain plus dirt equals dirt going wherever the rain runoff carries it. In this case, into RoA.
And yes, they do put dye in the water to keep it brown enough that you can't see the track for the Liberty Belle.
If you had quoted the sentence following that sentence you would know that I had already guessed that.
I have to ask where all that dirt is coming from. Is it just run off?
and I already knew about the dye in all the rivers and that I have known that since the first time I looked at them. I don't know if you intended it or not, but, that whole post of yours was terribly condescending. I'm 70 years old, I didn't go through life with blinders on.

If I read your response incorrectly, I apologize, but, you didn't have to explain to me where and how run off works, and I didn't even ask about the dark waters of Disney.

Last edited:

Lensman

Maybe it's one of those things where they can't just dump the "dirt" anywhere on land without ensuring it's not toxic?

I remember reading how getting rid of the material from dredging New York harbor is always problematic because it's considered toxic so can't be dumped on land or at sea. Though I hope there is less mercury and dioxins in the sludge at the bottom of the Rivers of America. :)

Last edited:

MaximumEd

If you had quoted the sentence following that sentence you would know that I had already guessed that. and I already knew about the dye in all the rivers and that I have known that since the first time I looked at them. I don't know if you intended it or not, but, that whole post of yours was terribly condescending. I'm 70 years old, I didn't go through life with blinders on.

If I read your response incorrectly, I apologize, but, you didn't have to explain to me where and how run off works, and I didn't even ask about the dark waters of Disney.

You didn’t say “I guess it’s run-off”. You asked “Is it just run-off”. He answered you, and without condescencion, imo. Just one man’s opinion.

geekza

*Bumpety BUMP!*

Any updates, for those of us nowhere near Orlando? The last we saw, they were letting the water back in. Are they planning on replacing the remaining track, or should things be good-to-go for the riverboat to return?

meyeet

Looks lovely. Good to see it back. I know that there are some who would prefer it be filled in, but I've always thought it was a beautiful addition to the park that would be a real loss, were that to happen.
I agree. We don't make it over the TSI every trip but just the presence of the waterway breaks up the park.

I also found that the riverboat is scheduled to return from refurb on Sept. 29th.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I fear for my credibility in admitting this, but I'm inspired to go on this for the first time (at MK vs DL) on our next trip!
Do it. It’s no less “credible” than riding the railroad or the PeopleMover.
One should ride all three each trip.

(And yes, I know I have zero credibility here, as I know that you read my TR and know that we somehow did not ride the train earlier this month. :facepalm::facepalm:)

Lensman

Do it. It’s no less “credible” than riding the railroad or the PeopleMover.
One should ride all three each trip.

(And yes, I know I have zero credibility here, as I know that you read my TR and know that we somehow did not ride the train earlier this month. :facepalm::facepalm:)
Interesting. We ride the railroad and the PeopleMover every trip (in fact every MK day). And we're also Ball people. So I'm not sure how we've missed out on the riverboat.

My strategy with the railroad is that whenever we have to go from Point A to Point B in MK I think, "Is it plausible for me to suggest taking the railroad as a shortcut?"

Creathir

Interesting. We ride the railroad and the PeopleMover every trip (in fact every MK day). And we're also Ball people. So I'm not sure how we've missed out on the riverboat.

My strategy with the railroad is that whenever we have to go from Point A to Point B in MK I think, "Is it plausible for me to suggest taking the railroad as a shortcut?"

This is EXACTLY my sentiment. ALWAYS looking for a reason to ride the railroad.

Honestly, I'm out of the same boat as you are (see what I did there) and have never ridden the riverboat.

That changes this coming weekend assuming it opens on the 29th.

geekza

I'm the same way. My Dad was a huge fan of the PeopleMover and was fanatical about trains, so they were always must-rides when we went to Disney World. I wasn't interested in the riverboat as a kid. I've gone to WDW twice as an adult and, for some reason, didn't ride it those times, either. In any case, as I've gotten older and things around me have sped up, I find myself enjoying the slower-paced things. For example, I took my son on a four-hour steam train trip up a mountain in WV this past summer. It was glorious. I guess I'm just the right age to finally be excited about a slow riverboat cruise. That's what was always great about WDW: there was something to appeal to all ages and tastes. I hope that, with the rush to build quick thrills, WDW is able to keep some of these more relaxed pleasures around. At least the riverboat is safe for now. I won't miss my chance this time.

geekza

Disney's calendar lists the closure thru Dec 22nd now
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Sigh.

debbie-downer.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom