20ECEA87-F284-4682-B84A-8AEDB5A516C2.jpeg

73C7AA47-3736-4A22-97FB-33C50C8E1CAC.jpeg

F6B267C3-AD67-4D1F-85B2-AC648FF6A112.jpeg
15ED7787-D26C-4B78-A63A-75373932E09A.jpeg
C7FCDC64-2C36-4BDE-997A-C6E64E5924CC.jpeg
B71C5EDD-1F73-463D-B637-3E219AB2DF10.jpeg
8E5CDD13-AABF-44CF-AA58-1BCC52963BEA.jpeg
2511120D-E98A-4642-B620-DCD9172B8BB0.jpeg
Only a small chunk of the river is empty. As of today their is still a lot of mud and gunk on top of the concrete in the area of the track they are working on. Majority of work is starting late evening with little happening during daylight hours. It is an odd view from Mansion and Tom Sawyer island.

deWild

What are the chances management took their time with this refurb to assess future expansion past the Mansion? Aka to assess chopping the rivers for a northeast expansion?

Goofyernmost

Spreading it out so it dries out. The less it weighs the better
I see no reason to clean it out, especially by the banks unless it is somehow interfering with the operation of the sidewheeler. After all, I suspect that most all river bottoms are covered n silt and dirt and The RoA is certainly wide enough and deep enough to be fine with that stuff at the bottom. I would not be at all surprised it they even put it there before they originally filled it with water. Since there is no current to speak of, it is just going to stay where it is. If some situation makes the water level drop then the shoreline will look much more natural.

geekza

I see no reason to clean it out, especially by the banks unless it is somehow interfering with the operation of the sidewheeler. After all, I suspect that most all river bottoms are covered n silt and dirt and The RoA is certainly wide enough and deep enough to be fine with that stuff at the bottom. I would not be at all surprised it they even put it there before they originally filled it with water. Since there is no current to speak of, it is just going to stay where it is. If some situation makes the water level drop then the shoreline will look much more natural.
There actually is a current. All the waterways are connected through a series of pipes that lets in not only the natural water, but critters as well. Having the water circulating like that prevents stagnation.

Goofyernmost

There actually is a current. All the waterways are connected through a series of pipes that lets in not only the natural water, but critters as well. Having the water circulating like that prevents stagnation.
I'm sure that they keep the water circulating to prevent it from getting stagnant, however, that circulation really has to be powerful to move sand and settled silt. My point is that it is not running toward the sea or rushing through rapids. What is moving remains gentle and calm.

peter11435

Dirt was never put on the riverbottom purposefully. This is the first time they have drained the water and not cleaned out the bottom.

Given that the vast majority of the river was not drained this time, cleaning this one small section would have largely been pointless. As soon as the dams are removed the dirt and muck from the rest of the river would’ve spread out into this section anyway. That said there are many reasons why having a clean river bed is beneficial in this application.

Phil12

Dirt was never put on the riverbottom purposefully. This is the first time they have drained the water and not cleaned out the bottom.

Given that the vast majority of the river was not drained this time, cleaning this one small section would have largely been pointless. As soon as the dams are removed the dirt and muck from the rest of the river would’ve spread out into this section anyway. That said there are many reasons why having a clean river bed is beneficial in this application.
Most of that muck is from the dead skin cells of the millions of tourists that walk by the RoA, ride the boats and visit TSI each year.

Goofyernmost

In other words it really doesn't matter one way or the other. I think it would have been more realistic if they had placed some when it was first built, but, if they didn't then it is a moot point. I have to ask where all that dirt is coming from. Is it just run off? Curiosity though, why would cleaning it be beneficial in this application? Overall, less earth in the riverbed?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom