News Liberty Square Riverboat closing for long refurb

peter11435

Interesting. A few years ago we had numerous people claiming there WERE legit plans to either expand or restructure Frontierland. Or at the VERY least permanently dock the Riverboat (possibly to turn it into a new restaurant or something). I recall marni1971 insisting that they've been looking for an excuse to perma dock the Riverboat for a long time now. Though I guess they wouldn't need an expansion plan to do that if they wanted.

Last time the rumor got major traction was about 3 years ago. It was @whylightbulb that initially brought it up 2012, and then again in 2015 saying it was finally about to be approved. This was followed up with confirmation from other people like articos, marni1971, MansionButler84, Lee, etc at least saying the project was real.
There were plans.

tirian

Interesting. A few years ago we had numerous people claiming there WERE legit plans to either expand or restructure Frontierland. Or at the VERY least permanently dock the Riverboat (possibly to turn it into a new restaurant or something). I recall marni1971 insisting that they've been looking for an excuse to perma dock the Riverboat for a long time now. Though I guess they wouldn't need an expansion plan to do that if they wanted.

Last time the rumor got major traction was about 3 years ago. It was @whylightbulb that initially brought it up 2012, and then again in 2015 saying it was finally about to be approved. This was followed up with confirmation from other people like articos, marni1971, MansionButler84, Lee, etc at least saying the project was real.

As far as I know, the riverboat plans were real; the expansion above FrL wasn’t.

ToTBellHop

Furthermore they have issues with part of the track and have divers working on it as draining part of the river would be too costly. The ship is doing fine. Just waiting on parts.
Send in the dolphins from Epcot. They are so well-trained. They'll have everything fixed up and working in the Rivers by next Monday.

And they'll be able to sell the Dolphins out of their Depth Premium Dessert Party in the meantime.

geekza

I haven't visited WDW as much as many of the folks here, but there are a few things that, for one reason or another, I've never experienced. The riverboat is one of them. Now that I'm older and better appreciate such things, I was hoping to use my upcoming trip in November to remedy that situation. I'm really hoping that things go well and the riverboat is up and running when we get there. I don't know if I'll be able to go on another trip to Disney, so I'm trying to get in as many of the attractions as possible on this trip before they're either gone forever or I'm finally priced out of ever going again.

Captain Barbossa

Furthermore they have issues with part of the track and have divers working on it as draining part of the river would be too costly. The ship is doing fine. Just waiting on parts.
Glad everything is good with the Liberty Belle. Do you know what exactly the issue is with the track? That doesn't sound like much of a dive if you ask me. :hilarious: The water isn't that deep. If they were to drain the RoA, would it affect the canal?

DisAl

Anything is easy if you don't know what it takes to do it....
That being said the could probably close the gates on the canal and pump it dry with a big pump over several days but that would probably be much more expensive that having divers repair the track. I suspect a bigger issue would be the aesthetics of a drained river with the track and any other infrastructure exposed. That would take one long construction wall to hide the whole river!

Captain Barbossa

if you're at MK today keep your ears open for Roy O Disney steam locomotive 4. He's been out a couple months for maintenance but he could be coming out today for a test run to see if he can come out tomorrow!
YES!!!!!! :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull: He’s been out for quite some time.
21B0E55F-19F0-4CA7-905A-930AF2318E41.jpeg
86D8B7EA-1217-4759-A791-0C121F19E7D5.jpeg
E57D3DF6-38AC-4224-BD53-3EF74D14F49C.jpeg

These were taken on May 23rd. They said that he was having problems with something related to his wheels (not sure how true that was), and they couldn’t make the parts in the shop so they had to order them.

DisAl

YES!!!!!! :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull: He’s been out for quite some time.
View attachment 293838View attachment 293839View attachment 293840
These were taken on May 23rd. They said that he was having problems with something related to his wheels (not sure how true that was), and they couldn’t make the parts in the shop so they had to order them.
Steam locomotives take a LOT of TLC to keep them running right. I suspect the steam trains are the most labor / maintenance intensive attraction in the parks. But in my opinion still one of the BEST attractions in the parks and part of the soul of the Magic Kingdom.

Pixieish

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom