News Liberty Square Riverboat closing for long refurb

Disone

:joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull: My day has been made! Now if I can see him before he goes to Strasburg. I'm assuming there running all 3 right now?
Mine too! Was it a three train operation then today? JUST in time for the busy busy 3rd and 4th if so.

Also, apparently there is some discussion about sending Roy and Roger at the same time. They want to get this project completed.

Captain Barbossa

Mine too! Was it a three train operation then today? JUST in time for the busy busy 3rd and 4th if so.

Also, apparently there is some discussion about sending Roy and Roger at the same
It will definitely be 3 trains today. Once the Walter comes back from Strasburg and officially returns to service, the Roy will be next. I've been told that if the Roger is still performing like he is today when Roy returns, they may hold off and not send him right away.

geekza

The trains at MK are a favorite of mine. Not to derail the topic :cool: but my son and I went on a wonderful trip this past weekend on an old logging train up into the mountains of WV. Riding behind a steam engine is an amazing experience. I'm so glad that Disney sees the value in keeping them running.

20180630_144043edit.jpg

20180630_142609edit.jpg

geekza

Was it the Cass scenic railroad?
Yes, indeed! One, among many, cool things in WV! My son lives with his mom in Abilene, TX and loves the mountains when he comes to stay with me for the summer, so I always try and take him somewhere in the state where he can be up in the mountains. I hadn't been to Cass since I was a child. It was an amazing day.

Captain Barbossa

Yes, indeed! One, among many, cool things in WV! My son lives with his mom in Abilene, TX and loves the mountains when he comes to stay with me for the summer, so I always try and take him somewhere in the state where he can be up in the mountains. I hadn't been to Cass since I was a child. It was an amazing day.
They’ve got about 5-6 operating steam locomotives. I’d like to visit there one day.

geekza

They’ve got about 5-6 operating steam locomotives. I’d like to visit there one day.
I'm trying to remember, but I think they only have four of them operating at the moment, with one actively being refurbished and another awaiting a major rebuild on its boiler. They have the earliest of a particular type of engine and the last one to be built, both in operation at the moment. It was astonishing watching how much work the crew put in to get us up the mountain and back again.

Captain Barbossa

I'm trying to remember, but I think they only have four of them operating at the moment, with one actively being refurbished and another awaiting a major rebuild on its boiler. They have the earliest of a particular type of engine and the last one to be built, both in operation at the moment. It was astonishing watching how much work the crew put in to get us up the mountain and back again.
Yeah, the majority of their locomotives are Shays, but they also have a Heisler.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
It will definitely be 3 trains today. Once the Walter comes back from Strasburg and officially returns to service, the Roy will be next. I've been told that if the Roger is still performing like he is today when Roy returns, they may hold off and not send him right away.

When you say Strasburg, are you talking about the Strasburg Railroad in PA? If so, that's about 30 minutes from my home. I should try to make a trip over there to see if I can see anything. What train(s) is currently there?

Captain Barbossa

When you say Strasburg, are you talking about the Strasburg Railroad in PA? If so, that's about 30 minutes from my home. I should try to make a trip over there to see if I can see anything. What train(s) is currently there?
Yep! Strasburg does all the heavy overhaul work for the WDWRR. (used to be Tweetsie) The Walter E. Disney is currently there for its overhaul. As of May, everything was going well and they were still on schedule. If that continues, the Walter will return to WDW late this year or early 2019.

RaveOnEd

You may have a hard time finding Walter. I volunteer across the road at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, and when I take breaks, I walk across to the Strasburg to walk around sometimes. A lot of what they bring in isn't really in full view of the public, as far as their restoration shop projects go.

One tip is to try and get into their shop tour. It's guided by one of the Strasburg people, and you get taken through their shops.

IMO, there is no better place to send a steam locomotive than Strasburg. Their shops are second to none, and since that's all they do, all day, everyday, steam locos from all over get sent there (Union Pacific sent the Big Boy's drivers there to be restored, for one).

At one point I did see the Walter boiler out on a flatcar, before they brought it back into the shops. A weird sight, to be sure!

ThatMouse

I'm always surprised when I do see this boat in operation. The steam engine itself is always interesting to look at and wonder what the heck the mechanics are doing with this to keep it running. I'm a huge fan of floating functioning museum pieces.

geekza

That makes me sad. Hoping it's back up and running by Thanksgiving. I was looking forward to riding it for the first time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom