Lettuce, Tomato and Onion THAT EXPENSIVE?

Timekeeper

No to mention the only Coke Freestyle machine in any of the 7 parks in the Orlando area. :slurp:

Absolutely! I L-word* these :sohappy:

dsc00145_0.jpg

*Love

Emileesmommy

Our taco bell does that too! HATE IT!

Sorta off topic but still related.

I was at a Taco Bell last Monday for lunch. One of my favorite things about TB is the hot sauce selection to choose from: Mild, Hot, Fire, the new Green stuff...etc. I love TB sauce...LOTS of it.

Well, this particular TB had no sauce area to pick & choose what you wanted. You know, those giant metal bins full of sauces for the taking? I had already purchased my meal, and went to the counter asking where the sauce was. The girl behind the counter asked me which type I wanted. I told her I wanted some of the Fire sauce. She proceeds to reach under the counter and hand me 3 (three) packets of Fire sauce. Yes...3. :shrug:

Mind you, I had a combo #4 which comes with 2 taco supremes, and a Mexican pizza. 3 sauce packets. :mad:
I went back several times asking for more, and was handed 2-3 at the most each time.

As I was leaving, I asked her what happened to the famous "sauce bar" (as I call it) where customers can pick & choose however many, whatever many sauces they wanted.
Her response? TB upper mgmt is juggling the idea of removing those for cost-cutting measures, but guests will still be able to ask front counter for sauce if they want any. WHAT???? She told me that only a few TB's are doing this as an experiment, but eventually ALL TB's will remove tubs and hand out...okay, ending this rant.

But if this comes true for all locations...all that is good in the world will seem lost. :(

Okay, back to Disney.

BelleofDE

I'd assume it's more waste.

Lots of people are leery of bars like that to begin with (food that should be kept cold sitting out, germs and sneezes and dirty hands grabbing things, etc.), and then on top of that I'm sure there were plenty of people who ended up throwing out a tray of "salad" that they made out of it (which actually was a "tip" on a certain board).

That said, I did like them - but I see why they aren't kept going, 'cause I bet less people actually used it for it's purpose (to add a bit to a burger) than took too much and tossed it, or simply helped themselves to a "free" salad bar.

I think you hit the nail on the head. You are definitely right about food sitting out and germs. They can hold hold the food for so long before it has to be disposed of. And they have to keep a certain amount out in anticipation of a certain number of guests. That adds up to a lot of waste. Then they have to factor in the people who are making "salads" and trying to scam the system. How much money is actually walking out the door vs. how much is coming in. There is a method to their madness, even if it doesn't please the customer.

Phonedave

I think you hit the nail on the head. You are definitely right about food sitting out and germs. They can hold hold the food for so long before it has to be disposed of. And they have to keep a certain amount out in anticipation of a certain number of guests. That adds up to a lot of waste. Then they have to factor in the people who are making "salads" and trying to scam the system. How much money is actually walking out the door vs. how much is coming in. There is a method to their madness, even if it doesn't please the customer.

There was also a post on here a while back where a WDWMagic member slipped on a tomato slice and busted up her knee. It soon degenerated into a "you should sue" vs. "it was not WDW's fault" debate.

With the following factors:

1) Possible unsanitary conditions.
2) Waste of product by people who take it just because they can.
3) Overuse of product because people make their own free salads.
4) Possiblity of lawsuits because of slips, trips, and falls because people are dropping product on the ground.

I can see why WDW (and many other places) are moving condiments to the kitchen where a food service worker will give you them if you ask.

It's sad, and I hate to see them go, but I can understand it.

-dave

dreamfinder

Sorta off topic but still related.

I was at a Taco Bell last Monday for lunch. One of my favorite things about TB is the hot sauce selection to choose from: Mild, Hot, Fire, the new Green stuff...etc. I love TB sauce...LOTS of it.

Well, this particular TB had no sauce area to pick & choose what you wanted. You know, those giant metal bins full of sauces for the taking? I had already purchased my meal, and went to the counter asking where the sauce was. The girl behind the counter asked me which type I wanted. I told her I wanted some of the Fire sauce. She proceeds to reach under the counter and hand me 3 (three) packets of Fire sauce. Yes...3. :shrug:

Mind you, I had a combo #4 which comes with 2 taco supremes, and a Mexican pizza. 3 sauce packets. :mad:
I went back several times asking for more, and was handed 2-3 at the most each time.

As I was leaving, I asked her what happened to the famous "sauce bar" (as I call it) where customers can pick & choose however many, whatever many sauces they wanted.
Her response? TB upper mgmt is juggling the idea of removing those for cost-cutting measures, but guests will still be able to ask front counter for sauce if they want any. WHAT???? She told me that only a few TB's are doing this as an experiment, but eventually ALL TB's will remove tubs and hand out...okay, ending this rant.

But if this comes true for all locations...all that is good in the world will seem lost. :(

Okay, back to Disney.

McDonalds did this ages ago. Every location I have been at for a while now has signs up, a 6 piece McNugget gets you 1 sauce, 12 piece 2, sauces, etc. Additional sauces cost 25-50 cents depending on location. It's cost cutting across the board.

And to the OP, cost cutting measures are often about the little things adding up. So those toppings may have only cost 5 cents (serious underestimation) but a few thousand people a day, adds up really fast. It's all part of the drive by most companies to be profitable in every single unit of every department. It used to be that overall profit was fine, but not each and every department now typically needs to show profit. One of the reasons why lots of the little things have been disappearing. Customer satisfaction doesn't show a direct correlation to profit. So often it is very easy for upper management to cut things that show no growth in profit, in a search for their bonuses, not caring about the long term growth of the business and satisfaction of the customer.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Wendy's also use to have a salad bar, but I think they closed them because of the same reasons being discussed here. Sanitation being the most important reason.

yankspy

Wendy's also use to have a salad bar, but I think they closed them because of the same reasons being discussed here. Sanitation being the most important reason.

They are hard to maintain. I have walked a salad/toppings bars with health inspectors and they temp everything to make sure all is well. It very difficult to maintain proper temperatures with these type of setups.

Silver Figment

Another case of a few people taking advantage and everyone losing out, unfortunately.

When we were there in May Cosmic Rays still had a decent toppings bar, I hope that is still there.

Yeah, and Pecos Bill still had a good one. I didn't even pay attention for a topping bar at AA even though we did eat there in May.

Phonedave

McDonalds did this ages ago. Every location I have been at for a while now has signs up, a 6 piece McNugget gets you 1 sauce, 12 piece 2, sauces, etc. Additional sauces cost 25-50 cents depending on location. It's cost cutting across the board.

The do that with their coffee too - but they make it sound like a perk -

"Let us make your coffee for you the way you like it"

which is a nicer way of saying.

"We can't trust you people with packets of sugar and a container of milk. You walk off with your pockets full of sugar packs and spill the milk everywhere, so now it's behind the counter where you can't screw with it"

-dave

At Burger King and McDonalds in the UK, they keep the sachets of ketchup behind the till, so you have to ask for them--I think they are free at the moment!!

eddy21

When I was a vendor for Mc Donalds. I was told the ketchup packets thrown out in 10 yrs time would equal enough money to build a restaurant.

real mad hatter

Ugh!

Yep,Patricia 27 your quite correct.Burger King and McDonalds still have ketchup sachels that are still free.Thats to take away the awful taste of these so called burgers.They never look like the ones in the poster that your supposed to get (oops,me thinking Michael Douglas in Falling Down):hurl:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom